1/72 Hasegawa Tomcat; Home stretch...

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted in what seems like ages - a combination of the Christmas holidays and the recent death of my Mum after a long and dignified battle with Alzheimers.

Life is finally getting back to something like normality so have started on my first F-14 for 2014. Yep, I'm going to build just F-14s for this year in a kind of one-man-single-type-group-build way. I don't know why (or how many pints of the blackstuff I had) but it seemed like a good idea at the time in the pub to commemorate the last of Grumman's long line of great Naval fighters - afterall, it is 40 years since the first combat cruise of the Tomcat in 1974.

I've got about 6 up in the stash and judging on my build speed (and the complexity of some of the kits), I don't know how many I'll get done! I will also build one for the F-14 GB here on Britmodeller later this year. For some reason, I also thought I should blog about this.......my ramblings are on the link below.

So first up, I decided to start with an easy one - the first Hasegawa kit from the early '70s (?)

0d0b4ec8-02b5-41d5-9811-f7b5bfdde9c9_zps

I knew those magazines from my childhood would come in handy some day (that's the DCOS in the background, by the way)

b1f0dff3-987b-4484-a24c-1a6f99334771_zps

The kit was a standout in its day and while newer kits have replaced it, it still looks the part and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into it.The cockpit and seats are very early-70's though so out with some scrap plastic....

fdc9834f-dfd2-45d0-8f11-56c91f90ab72_zps

That's all for now. Thanks for looking and enjoy your modelling.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 1

I'm loving the sound of your project! I look forward to seeing your F-14's and I'm glad you'll be in on the GB. What squadron are you going to be modelling this one on?

Dermot, sorry to hear about the bad news bug glad you're back to normal... and can't blame your choice of subject for this year !

Looking forward to see your single man Tomcat STGB !

BTW, in case you're interested in other decal options for this kit, I can send you the ones coming in the High Visibilty box... the kit is the same, still in the catalogue but now with different decals. Looks like Hasegawa wants to keep this around as a cheap alternative to their more sophisticated and expensive new tool Cat.

Love the idea - and that's 2015, 2016 & 2018 taken care of, if you feel like carrying on Filling an entire year with YF-17s could be a struggle, though! (Maybe you could flex it a bit and build F117s as well...)

• Like 1

Great choice, love the Tomcat, made the successor to this kit long ago , one of my favorite builds.

Do you plan an Iranian Cat in your builds? They still use them and at least one pilot became an ace in the conflict against Iraq.

Are all 6 builds based on this kit ?

Hi Dermont,

My condolences about your loss lad.

I think I have build this kit wayyy back in time!!!! (I think it was 1989....) The options were for a VF-2 and a VF-33.

Are you planning to use any aftermarket detail sets? I remember, I had tried to fit some Verlinden ejection seats in the cockpit but it's way too shallow.

I'm loving the sound of your project! I look forward to seeing your F-14's and I'm glad you'll be in on the GB. What squadron are you going to be modelling this one on?

Thanks! This one will be Wolfpack - VF1.

The kit comes with either VF1 or VF213 (Black Lions) decal options.

Dermot, sorry to hear about the bad news bug glad you're back to normal... and can't blame your choice of subject for this year !

Looking forward to see your single man Tomcat STGB !

BTW, in case you're interested in other decal options for this kit, I can send you the ones coming in the High Visibilty box... the kit is the same, still in the catalogue but now with different decals. Looks like Hasegawa wants to keep this around as a cheap alternative to their more sophisticated and expensive new tool Cat.

Thank you Giorgio and will drop you a PM

Great choice, love the Tomcat, made the successor to this kit long ago , one of my favorite builds.

Do you plan an Iranian Cat in your builds? They still use them and at least one pilot became an ace in the conflict against Iraq.

Are all 6 builds based on this kit ?

Cheers. Yes, planning an Iranian Cat as one of my builds for this year.

This is the only 'old' Hasegawa kit I've got (except for a copy by Hobbycraft). The other builds will be Hasegawa (new), Fujimi and possibly Hobbyboss.

Hi Dermont,

My condolences about your loss lad.

I think I have build this kit wayyy back in time!!!! (I think it was 1989....) The options were for a VF-2 and a VF-33.

Are you planning to use any aftermarket detail sets? I remember, I had tried to fit some Verlinden ejection seats in the cockpit but it's way too shallow.

Thank you Shalako.

For this build, will be mostly OOB. For the other builds, I plan to use either the kit-supplied etch plus some new seats by Airwaves and/or some Eduard Zoom sets.

Speaking of cockpits, here's how she looked last night. Not too bad for a kit from the mid-70's I think!

F-14cockpit_zps2eba7588.jpg

Thanks again lads,

Dermot

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Fuselage all buttoned up. Just decals on the panels, seat belts from Tamiya tape and ejection seat rings from fuse wire using Andy Mullen's patented jig thing..

Hasegawa1_72F-14fuselage_zps0ca0b001.jpg

Some cleanup to do in the usual places and then off to the paint shop with her!

All the best,
Dermot

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't posted on this in a while, but have been busy with it.

Got the wings and tails finished though the tails will need some touching up as the decals were damaged in places & see through in others. These are the decals from the more recent Hasegawa VF-1 boxing, not the originals in this kit. I finished the missiles too, though something tells me the decals for the Phoenix are training (i.e. not live) rounds??

Hasegawa_F-14_wings_zpsbb3f7c1b-1.jpg

All the best,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 1

If you replace the blue bands on the Phoenix with yellow then it'll be 'live'.

Not sure if it's too late, but the metal leading edge on the wing should only be about half the width of the slats. Otherwise looking good!

Thanks!!

Not sure if it's too late, but the metal leading edge on the wing should only be about half the width of the slats. Otherwise looking good!

What do we think? Remask the slat edge and try to work in the top colour grey?

Or leave well-enough alone?

:doh:

Edited by Dermo245

Well, having painted the leading metal edge of the wing too wide (thanks fellas!), it was out with the masking tape, Mk1 eyeball, and a brush (as I'm brush painter)...pleased with the result.

Hasegawa1_72F-14wingsnew_zpsfce80ebe.jpg

Next up, the fuselage. The white is a couple of coats of white from a spray can (was never going to brush that!)

Hasegawa1_72F-14fuselagewhite_zps5fd7545

Followed by two brushed coats of acrylic light gull grey mixed according to Revell's ratios....or as close as I could get. Might be a shade on the slightly dark side..my desk light probably brightens it up.

Hasegawa1_72F-14fuselagepaint_zps8f51f9c

As I'm a brush painter, I've invested in some good quality brushes lately and am really happy with the results from them. Sure, there are some areas to touch up here and there, but am very happy how the curvy-tape-mask worked as well.

And yes, I know there's a sh*t seam just aft of the wing bladder which really shows up. I can live with it on this build!

All the best,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 1

Quick update here...masked and painted the nose, glare panel and wing bladders..

Hasegawa_F14_paint_fuselage_zps7b6223b0.

Added the tails and a coat of Future, ready for the rest of the decals tonight! You can probably make out the tail decals are a bit 'ivory' than 'white' but I'm happy with progress.

47E4FAE9-9CBD-4D5B-A4FD-144F85FE799F_zps

Cheers,

Dermot

Thanks all - I experimented using a cut 'wavy' mask from Tamiya tape. It worked out well in the end I think but with any brush painting, I had to use a fine blade edge to remove the 'edge' where the paint met the mask.

Started one side of decals as well - some of the 'slime' lights aren't exactly in the right place but close enough. Next up, the right hand side!

Hasegawa_F14_Wolfpack_decals_zpsbbcfd2e7

Dermot

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As she looked last night, with the wings and u/c on.

The panel lines are pencil (mostly ok but a few strays here and there).

The wash was a funny experience - it went on great but didn't release in some places (my fault, not the product. Thankfully the mistakes are in places that are not very evident (i.e under the nose) I can probably live with it......

Hasegawa_F14_wings2_zpsb283bd54.jpg

What do people think - too heavy with the weathering??

Thanks for looking,

Dermot

• Like 2