Fly Models 1/32 Scale Rotachute

Following last Friday's debacle, I managed to get a bit of me time in today. I got the bits where the framing joins the canvas sanded down and polished. The fact that the super glue I used obviated the need for filler was an unexpected bonus.

The fuselage halves were then un-taped and the remains of ejector pin marks sanded and polished away. This left me free to add the stringers to the insides of the fuselage. I will give the joints with the tubing at the mouth of the fuselage a quick swipe with a sanding stick then the glues has had time to set properly.

I think the next step is to drill and pin the rear stabilizers together and to mark out and drill their location points on the fuselage.

Thanks for looking

Martin

666_zps7593def6.jpg

454_zps2a2fc1dd.jpg

656_zps9ca4c715.jpg

Fascinating project Martin, I'd never heard of this before.

What could be better, a bit of education for me combined with your lovely workmanship bringing it all alive! I'll be keeping up with progress on this.

Cheers

John

Thanks John, this one is a bit of a learning curve for me as well. I thought that this would be a simple build, and from a modelling point of view it is indeed rather straightforward. What, however, is not so simple is trying to sort out all the different changes that took place on the real things. Aeronut has been a great help but I am finding I have to think very hard about each step and this in itself slows things down. I don't mind as this is the sort of challenge I thrive on and is probably why I have a great time with Fly kits as they supply this sort of challenge in spade fulls.

Martin

I managed to get a reasonably good session in this afternoon and as a result made some good progress. I drilled and pinned the horizontal stabilizers and fins and got them joined together. I used brass rod for the stabilizer to fuselage join and Albion Alloys aluminium tube for the fin to stabilizer joints. The reason for this is that Albion Alloys aluminium is of similar hardness to the plastic used in the kit, this allows the tube to be passed all the way through the fins and the sanded flush when the glue is set. Obviously brass was used on the stabilizer to fuselage joint as it is stronger.

This done, I was able to glue the tail assemblies in place having of course drilled the appropriate holes in the rear of the fuselage.

All this brought me to the point that, for the first time I could do a dry run and tack the model together and see what it might look like when finished. Partly because I could and wanted to see it more or less whole; the child in me I suppose; but also to see how big the finished model will be in order that I could see if I had a suitable base in stock for it. Thankfully I do have one.

Better have a look at the rotor head and control assembly next as the kit parts seem to be on the simplified side.

Anyway, here are the pictures and thanks for looking in.

Martin

ff_zpsdcfc12cf.jpg

ww_zps20da938a.jpg

qw_zps5cb7d062.jpg

as_zps8b1320fe.jpg

dc_zpsb68bbd21.jpg

Most of this evening has been taken up with working on the control harness, if indeed that is what it is called. I had a suspicion that the kit part would not be strong enough to take all the drilling involved, and so it proved. Just as I went to test fit the harness to the bottom of the rotor mechanism, it flew to pieces in my hands! Cue, large amounts of exceedingly bad language! Calming down I decided that Albion Alloys aluminium tubing might do the job. It is stronger than the kit plastic but sands, drills and files just as easily. This was bent to the correct shape and the ends flattened in my bench vice. The ends were the rounded off prior to being drilled to accept the brass pins that had been fitted to the scratch built rotor plate. The plate itself is a second attempt the first having been swallowed by the carpet monster; I hope it chokes on it!

Anyhow, an evening's work for what might not look very much but it is better that what is supplied in the kit and, although it was very difficult and fiddly, I now feel my modelling is getting back to where it was prior to my lay off, so I suppose that is a positive outcome for my efforts today.

Thanks for looking.

Martin

sq_zps81c3a313.jpg

ss_zps9d4fd36a.jpg

Edit: the real assembly is under an inch long so these pictures are in the best focus my camera will do.

I thought that the best way to avoid any more carpet monster debacles with the control mechanism would be to glue it to the airframe, seeing as the front will be mostly tones of black it shouldn't complicate matters too much and I am resigned to the fact that the front of the aircraft will be a hairy stick job anyway. So, before I turn in, here are a couple of pictures with everything roughly tacked into place. I am not overly happy with the front V struts on the landing skid and may well replace them with better ones later in the build.

Thanks for looking

Martin

tr_zps96a7ea27.jpg

hy_zps45832d33.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A while since the last update as the Bell's Palsy has made focusing on small items for any length of time rather painful. I have however managed to clean up the rotors and add some attachment plates that are absent from the kit parts. These have quite large bolts on them and a friend is punching out a load for me as I cannot afford a small punch and die set. When these are in place I will be able to bend a droop into the rotors and call the assembly done. I have finished gluing together a Dartmoor Miniatures RAF figure as if any model needed a figure to give scale to it, it is this subject. I think I will get the photo etched brass annealed next so I can get the seat back worked into shape. I may use the kit seatbelts or use one of Radu Briznan's sets, I have yet to decide though the latter do give a realistic hang to the belts.

Thanks for looking

Martin

qe_zpsc242808f.jpg

eq_zps34d5f643.jpg

Thanks Neil, its strange but the older I get, the more I find myself attracted to this sort of wacky type of subject. I can't explain it but I am sure that some of the people on this site will have a bash! Sets himself up to be shot at.

Martin

I picked one of these kits up at Telford and it's hovering above the workbench as we speak. I like you treatment of the inner surfaces Martin, I think I may well follow your lead,

Colin

I picked one of these kits up at Telford and it's hovering above the workbench as we speak. I like you treatment of the inner surfaces Martin, I think I may well follow your lead,

Colin

I think its well worth the effort as the inside of the fuselage is going to be very visible. I would also cut to the chase and replace the control harness thingy from the off as it will never survive any work being done on it and will be so easily damaged in transit if you take the model anywhere.

Martin

Control ahrnes or whatever it's called Martin, I think you were right in replacing it. I think I'll use a piece of wire of suitable diameter. Imight even ge tgoing onm my kit this week, we shall a salways, see how time goes.

Colin

It has been a trying few days on the build as some of the kit parts on the front fuselage have proved not to be strong enough. The foot bar for the pilot's legs snapped as did the bar holding the rotor head. Once I had got over my frustration, :doh: I decided to rebuild these areas rather than repair them. I started with the foot bar which I replaced with Albion Alloys aluminium tubing, having first drilled it to accept the newly pinned bottom of the rotor support. It was also drilled to accept the front supports to the landing skid. The next step was to replace what I take to be ballast weights on the end of the foot bar. I had decided a while back that the kit parts looked a little on the small side and so made new ones from what I think might once have been the body of a Bloodhound booster rocket.

Next up was to drill and pin the broken rotor support bar. Fortunately this had broken at the point where a bracket holding the pitot head and an instrument is located. Accordingly, a suitable bracket was scratch built from ten 'thou plastic strip. This still needs to be trimmed at the front when the glue has set. It will also add some strength to the repaired join.

Following this I decided to scratch build another set of struts for the front support of the landing skid you may recall that I had been having doubts about my first effort for a while.

Last but not least, I detailed the attachment plates for the rotors and knocked up a cap for the rotor head. This, again, came from the butchered Bloodhound booster rocket. The cap is an optional part as the Rotachute can be seen both with and without the item.

I think I will tackle the pitot head next, still dithering about whether to go with a set of Radu Briznan seat belts though......... :hmmm:

Thanks for looking and here are the pics............

sa1_zpsf20a5451.jpg

sa3_zps04925d46.jpg

sa2_zpsdb5a4d65.jpg

sa4_zps02c330b8.jpg

Great looking build of an unusual subject Martin, but with your new found passion for these obscure subjects and kits, wouldn't it be simpler to just find the plans and scratch build it all anyway as there's going to be very little of the original plastic left after you've finished improving it :lol: . Or is that the fun of build, finding out what you can salvage from the kit ;) . Just teasing though as you've done some amazingly intricate work on this one and the finish line looks to be getting in sight.

Pete

Thanks Guys.

Colin, if you start your kit, a diversion is exactly what you will get!

Pete, I used to do quite a lot of 100% scratch building but I lost my access to workshop facilities, so force of circumstance means that I am limited to what I can do with kits and vacforms now. There is not over much to do before painting, finishing will be largely dictated by how quickly the pan generated by the Bell's Palsy settles down. It is true that I do get a kick out of pushing myself as far as I can with my builds, I enjoy the problem solving that it involves, probably one of the reasons why I like these FLY kits so much.

Martin

I was feeling reasonably OK this afternoon and decided to have another session on the Rotachute.

I began by scratch building the pitot head assembly from plastic card and Albion Alloys aluminium tubing. This was then mounted on the bracket I made during my last session on the model and connected to the upper instrument casing with some little cars detailing wire.

The towing attachment and it's associated release mechanism are represented in the kit by a single flat piece of brass etch which gives a totally unrealistic effect. Accordingly, a replacement assembly was cobbled together from some Albion Alloys slide fit tubing, a bell shaped opening made from carving and drilling so old sprue and using the handle part of the kit part. The picture does not really look like the end is bell shaped but please be assured that it is. I might try and get a better picture in natural daylight tomorrow but the part is so small that it is getting close to what the macro on my digital camera can cope with.

To round the session off I bent a little droop into the rotor blades.

I have decided to make my own harness assembly for the model as I will look much more realistic. Sadly Radu Briznan does not do the correct pattern of harness for this model, I think the prototype had a non-standard type anyway, so I am waiting on Royal Fail to deliver a set of Verlinden buckles from the big H.

All in all though a very rewarding, if tiring session at the bench and most importantly I enjoyed it, even if I did manage to drill my fingertips on a couple of occasions.

As always, thanks for looking.

Martin

uu_zps8f2914dc.jpg

uk_zps017490bd.jpg

uy_zps2a12977c.jpg

uj_zps92b577ea.jpg

Thanks Mekon, despite the build being slowed down due to health problems, I am really enjoying it. It is also making me think hard about what I am doing which I find stimulating as well.

Martin

Might be worth a look at Airfix Mag Sept 77 if you can get hold of it!

Rex

Thanks Rex, I haven't got that one unfortunately, I'll have a look on Evil Bay though.

We have had the briefest patch of sunshine this afternoon so, as promised I shot a couple of better pictures of the work I was waffling on about yesterday. The postie has just delivered the buckles from Hannants so I will start trying to work out a harness arrangement this evening.

Thanks for looking

Martin

ee4_zps427654ce.jpg

ee3_zps6c0711da.jpg

• Like 1