Revell NH90 TTH Helicopter 1/72 kit 4489

Rodders

Hi All,

First happy new year to everyone.

It was my birthday last monday the 6th and my wife was in the works in our local town and bought me the Revell 1/72 NH90 TTH helicopter kit 4489. It was nice of her to do it but i know absolutely nothing about the kit or real one as i've only ever built one helicopter before about 20 years ago.

Basically, has anyone built it, is it a good kit to go together, is it necessary to add aftermarket and are there any available. I've had a look at Eduard and can't find anything.

Sorry for all the questions as i said i don't build helicopters.

Thanks for any help,

Cheers.

I have one yet to build. Nice looking kit but in the Navy version with the extra sprue, the parts quality look a bit dodgy. But want to do an RNZAF one. I have the decals form Old Model Decals of NZ but what the kit needs for this version and I see the Finnish ones, are odd, interesting air filter things ove the engine housings. I'm hoping someone will look in to this?? :shrug:

I have one yet to build. Nice looking kit but in the Navy version with the extra sprue, the parts quality look a bit dodgy. But want to do an RNZAF one. I have the decals form Old Model Decals of NZ but what the kit needs for this version and I see the Finnish ones, are odd, interesting air filter things ove the engine housings. I'm hoping someone will look in to this?? :shrug:

interesting mate i got the decals for the australians for the kit...

thomas

Not sure how helpful this will be. But I bought the Revel NFH kit a year or so back. As you'll discover when you look on the sprues the two kits are identical (at least they seemed to be), what varies is which parts you put in the build plus the painting/decals.

The main differences as I recall are in the main body of the helicopter where the NFH version uses a number of ASW panels. Whereas the TTH version has seating for troops. Plus the NFH version carries torpedoes which I guess you don't have on the TTH version.

The NFH build was successful but I got some Eduard masking to enable the painting to go well as there's lots of tricky masking. Other than that I did an OOB build.

PS. Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday :)

I see the Finnish ones, are odd, interesting air filter things ove the engine housings. I'm hoping someone will look in to this?? :shrug:

Hi Paul,

Later Finnish Army NHs are fitted with the dust filters. Early ones were similar to the kit. There are also differences in the antennaes and some other details in the later ones. So look at your reference photos carefully.

Also few early ones were registered as "KH-20n" during test flights but they were re-serialled as "NH.20n" before delivery. Also some changes were made the stencilling colours.

Cheers,

AaCee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Hi All,

I know this post was a long time ago. I actually put this model back in the stash but took it out again last week. The reason i put it aside and put me off was the Revell paint system. I don't use Revell paints and i'm not good at mixing paints. I've been searching to see if i can find a way of just using one colour rather than mixing.

I suppose i'm asking if anyone can give advice on the fs colours for all the revell mixes. I use Tamiya, vallejo and real colours.

Can anyone help,

Cheers,

Rodders.

I'm usually a bit wary when it comes to lists that try and match everything to FS, and even more so when they're more than 2 decades old. 

Perhaps getting the original paint scheme ID's and start from there?

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/185174-nh90-color-question/&do=findComment&comment=2466674

https://www.scramble.nl/military-news/finnish-army-aviation-is-testing-new-camouflage-schemes

real thing:

https://www.flyfinland.fi/view/24372

• Like 1

12 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Here is my NH 90  helicopter,

can*t remember the colours, perhaps Revell.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/32918025165/in/dateposted/

modelldoc

Hi, 

That looks really nice. I'm going to investigate more on the colours. I've got some colour charts now,

Cheers,

Rodders.

Ive just dug mine out and had a squint at the instructions.
75% NATO-Olive + 25% yellow...
That could mean anything!

I think the main scheme is C, D, H

So Bronzegreen 67% + Yellow 33%

that colour is just about as bad as bad gets for a kit manufacturer as directions for a paint.

Revell really need a kick up the ...

This might help

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Ive just dug mine out and had a squint at the instructions.
75% NATO-Olive + 25% yellow...
That could mean anything!

I think the main scheme is C, D, H

So Bronzegreen 67% + Yellow 33%

that colour is just about as bad as bad gets for a kit manufacturer as directions for a paint.

Revell really need a kick up the ...

This might help

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at your recommendation,

Cheers,

Rodders.

7 hours ago, Rodders said:

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at your recommendation,

Cheers,

Rodders.

Im not 100% sure if it is actually any help.

Looking at the instructions the Revell colours are a complete car crash waiting to happen. Their paints aint all that popular, they are not the right shades and are in all honesty not all that good, so I dont know why they struggle to push them onto their customers.
I would have thought the EU rules would have stopped this kind of thing in much the same way as they stopped Microsoft foisting IE on the customer.

But anyway, the colours used on it were NATO standard colours so they should be findable. I think its the same scheme as used on the CH-53G

"with introduction of "Norm 83" pattern of RAL6003, RAL7021 and FS34079."

I think that is the pattern used on the box art.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Im not 100% sure if it is actually any help.

Looking at the instructions the Revell colours are a complete car crash waiting to happen. Their paints aint all that popular, they are not the right shades and are in all honesty not all that good, so I dont know why they struggle to push them onto their customers.
I would have thought the EU rules would have stopped this kind of thing in much the same way as they stopped Microsoft foisting IE on the customer.

But anyway, the colours used on it were NATO standard colours so they should be findable. I think its the same scheme as used on the CH-53G

"with introduction of "Norm 83" pattern of RAL6003, RAL7021 and FS34079."

I think that is the pattern used on the box art.

Hi,

Yes if Revell did give mixes it would be nice to put FS/RAL numbers there as well.

Knowing they're standard NATO colours is a great help, thanks.

I'll look into getting some as i usually build WW2 stuff and tanks.

Cheers,

Rodders.