T34/85 Winter Dio

So in order to ensure that I make some progress on this build I am starting a thread, all encouragement and criticisms warmly received.

The plan is based on this picture that I came across, the aim is to use the feel of the scene and not the exact event.

0_9375_f8230017_L.jpg

The kit is a HobbyBoss 1/48 T34/85 with flattened turret. There is a full interior of which I will add photos later and the upper shell is held by magnets to the tub. There is a gloss coat on currently and the weathering is due to begin this weekend. The troops are the Tamiya 1/48 Russian Tank Infantry. These are fantastic models with around 10 pieces to each figure. A little filling is required on the odd joint before the painting begins.

DSC_0043.jpg

I shall update more as progress occurs and would be grateful for any thoughts or insights as I go.

Thanks

Pete

now this has my interest' can't wait to see more.

regards oz!.

Not too much progress this weekend. Managed to get a start on the rain streaking and general weathering on the main body of the tank. Weathering is new for me so I'm experimenting as I go. It was wet when I finished so no photos sadly.

Took a couple of quick pics of the interior detail. The top is held on by 6 2mm rare earth magnets that I sunk into the mudflaps and seems to hold in place just fine. I'll leave it detachable as not much will visible when the tank is in situ!

DSC_0071.jpg

The dust needs blending in more and I need to do more on the leather of the seats but generally happy with colours etc.

DSC_0072.jpg

Engine turned out pretty well as a first try at weathering. I went for a very dirty look that I had seen in a couple of period photos which meant that mistakes are harder to spot!

DSC_0070.jpg

Breech and turret interiors are hard to see!

I've tried to use references as much as I could but it would seem that these tanks were worked pretty hard and that almost each one had its own fit out and internal colouring etc. If you see any glaring omissions though I'd love to hear from anyone that can help!

@robw_uk: I'm certainly no expert at figure painting, and at 1/48 I find it hard to do much more than basic shade and highlight. The key thing I'll be going for is a consistent finish across all the elements. At the moment the figures are built and have been pinned so that I can hold them but nothing more. Will take some shots as I go if they're up to much!

Thanks so much for all the interest. More to follow in time! And apologies for the phone photos. My money can only go down so many avenues at the moment and cameras isn't one of them!

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

Managed a little more on the tank last night due to an expected meeting near home!

DSC_0081.jpg

The squad all have their pins in ready for a wash up and first undercoat to see where the filler has to go. I'll be doing straps for the weapons once they're painted as I don't think they'd survive my fat hands in the painting stage. Does anyone have recommendations of a good material to use at this scale? I'm thinking some kind of heavy foil but from what source!?

DSC_0077.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality shot but you can make out the beginnings of first attempts at weathering. I'm using the new humbrol washes and powders and am so far really enjoying the effects. Finished the white paintwork on the turret which still shows the initial green for comparison. The grid squares are 1cm so it's by no means a big piece but I'm certainly getting more happy with the finish I'm getting!

Cheers, Pete

Edited by peterhodes
  • Like 1