1/32 Tamiya Mustang RCAF *FINISHED*

Gisbod

Hi Guy,

Looking very good, what is your plan for he natural metal finish? I'm testing Alcladd II, steping on new ground here. A mix of Alclad and AS-12 to give different shades and shines. Yet not decided.

Cheers

Mauricio

Edited by Live_bait

Hi Guy,

Looking very good, what is your plan for he natural metal finish? I'm testing Alcladd II, steping on new ground here. A mix of Alclad and AS-12 to give different shades and shines. Yet not decided.

Cheers

Mauricio

Hi Mauricio,

Yep,

I love Alclad .:) although, it's lovely to spray - I always seem to have had some issue or other; primer, masking, decals, sealer etc - it's not a forgiving finish - but therein lies the challenge! My 1/72 Mustang was Alclad and I was pretty happy with the finish of that, so I'll probably replicate what I did there, but with some subtle weathering - although I'm not quite sure how to represent this yet :S

Any progress on yours?

Guy

• Like 1

Sounds like a good plan, Guy. In my case with full D-Day stripes and blue nose there isn't much left for NMF, yet it's quite a challenge for me with Alclad. I'd like to achieve a worn metal though. Not much advancement yet as I'm finishing a Bf109 K-4 now (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952393-148-hasegawa-bf109-k-4/)

For the stang I just sprayed the engine in different black shades and dark grey. now I'll seal it to go for oil washes before the dry brush.

I got the HGW seat belts with the dinghy as you did, still waiting for them to arrive. I'm expecting to finish my K-4 today to start full throttle on my Cadillac of the Skies next week. Though don't want to hijack your thread.

Cheers

Mauricio

Edited by Live_bait

Thanks ;)

Had another decent modelling day today and I've pushed the build on a tad..

Basically finished the engine, allowing me to get the fuselage together. The fit on this kit is awesome, makes the build so much more enjoyable (for me at least..). Added a few generic pipes and leads, but other than that, as per the kit..

image-21.jpg

image-17.jpg

image-18.jpg

image-19.jpg

image-20.jpg

Thanks for looking ;)

Guy

• Like 1

Bit more to show..

It's quite a complex model - the design and engineering are really very impressive :) Although at times I can't help feel it's a little over engineered.

I was going to open up one of the gun ports - all painted up, but in the end I wasn't completely happy with it - not for any real reason - it just didn't end up how I wanted it to look - so all covered up now. Although the cover for this fits well - I still couldn't get them to sit perfectly flush - I'm always conscious on an Alclad finish how any teeny imperfection comes back to haunt you at the end... :S

Nice to get the wings on at least - it really feels quite a chunky model having just made the 1/72 version!

I've drilled out the wing guns - I'll put some brass tubing in at the end to replicate this rather than the moulded on kit ones.

image-22.jpg

Just a teeny bit of piping in the bay - I can't get too excited about bits I can't see! Although I may end up adding a little more once the central support is in place.

image-24.jpg

Dying to get a coat of primer on now - but still quite a bit to do before I get to that stage..

Guy

Plodding along - finally got to the stage of getting the primer coat on for the Alclad finish.

I've used Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black mixed with a 60/40 ratio of Tamiya Lacquer Thinners - first time I've tried it and so far so good :)

This will be polished as best I can once fully cured with a 12000 grit polishing cloth.

f7171b08-41fd-4cd9-9997-65d0d439e3f5.jpg

Guy

Morning,

Right, all Kleared up and ready for the decals.. In the past, putting Klear on always seemed to take something away from the metal finish, but for some reason it almost improves it on this one - I'm still on a learning curve for metal finishes..

Guy

image-27.jpg

• Like 1

Nice finish! Could the ailerons be used as flaps on the P-51? I'm just thinking about both of them hanging down in the picture.

No, it's just that the ailerons are a little loose so they flop around a bit - I may have to fix them when I'm finished - same applies to the flaps and elevators!

Good spot though :)

Been decalling this morning - I should have her ready for tomorrow at this rate!

Cheers

Guy