Avro Shackleton AEW2 - Sanger 1:48th - Windows

As cleaning isn't quite a favourite activity on mine, I've sculpted the back of the nacelle with Milliput:

shackaew2096.JPG

Note: when you mix Milliput, mix the right quantity. If you dont, it looks like this:

shackaew2097.JPG

Cheers,

Sebastien

• Like 1

That rework makes the Sanger nacelle look seriously under nourished. Are the nacelles identical for both sides?

The engine part is identical on the four nacelles.

I'd love the outer nacelles to be identical on both sides...

Hi!

I´ve been following your heroic battle with Sanger and you have inspired me to do this:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/avro-shackleton-engine-in-3d-part-1-fact-finding/

The goal is to make a 3D model that is downloadable from our webpage and printer-ready.

anything that can bring more Shackletons to the exibit tables!

keep up the good work

/L

• Like 1

Thanks!

I'm done with the shape. I think I'm not too far off the mark, and I'd like to have your opinion.

I will separate the engine from the rear and scribe the details later on, before making a mold.

shackaew2098.JPG

shackaew2099.JPG

shackaew2100.JPG

shackaew2101.JPG

shackaew2102.JPG

Cheers,

Sebastien

• Like 1

Phil, I'll sure try!

Slow weekend for both members of the Krazy Froggy Growler Group Build.

We went both to modeling shows and didn't do much.

My friend worked on the bomb bay. He wants to make a drop-in assembly he'll insert once the fuselage is closed.

The doors so far:

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1855.JPG

The bay itself:

IMG_1845.JPG

I worked on the inner engine nacelles.

I separated them from the backing sheet (and as I worked sitting at a friend's stand in the model show, his clothes, a couple of models and various stuff are covered in white dust). The nacelles:

shackaew2103.JPG

Checking how things fit from above, and the first doubts are rising:

shackaew2104.JPG

From the side, the doubts vanished instantly, replaced by a certainty:

shackaew2105.JPG

So the nacelle does match the wing shape, but is 1 cm too short... More fun to come.

Cheers,

Sebastien

From the side, the doubts vanished instantly, replaced by a certainty:

shackaew2105.JPG

So the nacelle does match the wing shape, but is 1 cm too short... More fun to come.

Cheers,

Sebastien

I remember that problem well - I built the rear of the nacelle up with plastic card and filler to raise the fairing to the correct height (ie level with the trailing edge of the wing.)

I found that if you removed too much plastic from the rear part of the nacelle just in front of the rear fairing to correct the fit to the wing, the angle of the engine was far too far 'nose down' and the whole nacelle and engine had the wrong look.

There should be a picture or two in my thread which you may find useful.

The power-eggs look great by the way!

Keep on slaving away, it'll be worth it in the end when you've got a kit in your collection that very few others have :)

Tom

I remember that problem well - I built the rear of the nacelle up with plastic card and filler to raise the fairing to the correct height (ie level with the trailing edge of the wing.)

[...]

The power-eggs look great by the way!

Thanks Tom.

I intend to build up the rear with plastic card and filler. Great minds and all that stuff...

And thanks again about the power egg. I'll work on it tonight, I hope I finish it then.

Cheers,

Sebastien

Hi,

While I'm working on the inner engine nacelles, I'm wondering how the landing gear is made.

I know it's much beefier than the gear on the Lancaster, but is it articulated in the same way?

Can I use item 9 in the Tamiya Lanc instruction a a basis?

Tamiya_Lancaster_3190.jpg

Thanks for your advice,

Regards,

Sebastien

I used a set of Lancaster gear from an old kit I built years ago - I don't know if it's 'accurate' as such, but it looks good enough to me. I had to shorten it a little, but it goes in fine.

The wheels are the main stumbling block - I'm sure you've realised that the kit items don't really resenble anything Shckleton-like. I used some Lancaster wheels which are fitted with different hubs - I'm always on the look out for some Paragon Lincoln hubs as they are the same as the Shackleton.

Tom

I used a set of Lancaster gear from an old kit I built years ago - I don't know if it's 'accurate' as such, but it looks good enough to me. I had to shorten it a little, but it goes in fine.

The wheels are the main stumbling block - I'm sure you've realised that the kit items don't really resenble anything Shckleton-like. I used some Lancaster wheels which are fitted with different hubs - I'm always on the look out for some Paragon Lincoln hubs as they are the same as the Shackleton.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I intend to use a Lancaster gear from SAC, and I have Paragon Lincoln wheels (the Sanger-provided wheels are... entertaining).

Mike, I can't be that serious about modeling (and my modeling abilities). While I like working on vacs (even the tedious bits) and I work quite seriously on them, I have to find a way of entertaining the readers (and myself when I write stuff).

And I love Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams and Eddie Izzard, so...

Regards,

Sebastien

I remember this giving me some interesting moments thirty years ago

I never used photography as a modelling tool back then but this is a crop and enlarge of the one I built then

I recall using a product like Plastruct for the first time and built a beefier copy of the Lancaster type undercarriage based on the Lincoln in Cosford I think.

If you have that lancaster one it would be easy to do using it as a template

(I'll pull this if you like, just an idea of how it looks.)

Wessexday2002cropped_zpsfbc949a6.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks (and nice Shack, BTW).

I think I'll use the beefy gear legs as provided by Sanger and adapt them to the triangles in the SAC set.

Cheers,

Sebastien

• Like 1

Shackleton legs are shorter in length, and slightly more sturdy. The way the undercarriage is connected and mounted is identical to Lancaster. The Tamiya undercarriage bay would give you a very good start!

Here's the Shackleton undercarriage from the manual:

255470_441889335857828_1544106288_n.jpg

480924_441888819191213_603664068_n.jpg

Regards,

Rich

The first wheel well has been started.

First step: where the heck will it be?

Well, according to what I understood, it should be something like that:

shackaew2106.JPG

Let's remove what needs to be removed:

shackaew2107.JPG

I started with the outer wall:

shackaew2110.JPG

The outer wall in the wing:

shackaew2108.JPG

shackaew2109.JPG

I intend to make a drop-in wheel well. I'll know soon enough if it is a bad idea.

Cheers,

Sebastien

Ah that's a relief RichIt''s good news that you are here as well as Ph, I can stay current better that way ;)

I only have one more half decent pic of my made up u/c, where were you thirty years ago when I needed you?

I cheated by painting the tread blocks and inventing a cockpit innards

Wessexday2010_zpsd6d49a93.jpg

• Like 1

If I recall correctly the BoB flight Lancaster has, or did use the undercarriage for a Shackleton, presumably a lot easier to find airworthy parts, so there can't be that much difference if that's correct.

And if it's cobblers my apologies. I used to have a good memory until I started dealing with children...

Then I remembered the internet..... what did we do before wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lancaster_PA474

PA474 has the undercarriage of an Avro Lincoln and main tyres from an Avro Shackleton, both aircraft closely related to the Lancaster. However, original tail wheel tyres are no longer available and so a nose wheel tyre from an Airbus A340 has been substituted.

Some marbles left at least.

Oh...great work as well Sebastien.... you mention Paragon Lincoln wheels, does that mean you have a Paragon Lincoln conversion in the stash?

cheers

T