1/144 Revell British Airways Airbus A380-800

Hi all,

After building a Thomson 787 I decided to take the plunge and build an A380.

It's still very much work in progress, you will notice parts missing but as my second build I'm quite pleased with how it's coming along. I have made the model without landing gear as I intend to build a stand for it, I just think it looks cleaner.

Most the paint I used was Humbrol hobby Spray, apart from the wings which are Halfords Ford Polar Grey (the poor pic quality doesn't do the Halfords spray justice)

BA Blue was Humbrol hobby Spray Midnight Blue

Please excuse the picture quality, I will get round to Hi res when it's finished

PROBLEM I ripped my Flight Deck Decals, does that mean I have to spend £12 on a brand new set? The one that came with the model in the Airbus House Colours wasn't good enough.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by MJBRAND787
  • Like 4

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I did want to use decals for the flightdeck but I suppose painting could be an option, but then I run the risk of making a mistake, the flightdeck decal split well after I'd put the all the decals on :/

I shall have think, thanks for the quick replies

Really nice so far

Couple of questions

What decals were they?, have you tried asking for just a replacement flightdeck decal from them?

How did you do the inspar, was it a decal?

As your choices of paints may have been very limited, but I personally don't like the Ford polar grey colour, it looks way too dark and green, but it may just be the photos

The standard of finish is great

Right colours, wrong plane ;)

I reckon you'd be hard pushed to paint the flight deck windows with those little decals in close proximity, would make masking difficult. You could cut some very thin strips of masking tape? The other option would be to take some scrap dark-coloured decals and cut them to size with a scalpel or something.

I wonder if our guys can see out of the damn thing anyway, they seem to enjoy smashing it into the tarmac at LAX and LHR fairly regularly - I think hard landing checks are going to become part of the standard postflight!

Al (BA 787, undisputed Queen of the Skies!))

Very nice build, to me the nicest livery wore by an A380, I really like the more vivid white and blue tint they are now using. I always was a big fan of the Landor livery but this one shines ! Great build !

BTW, I have loads of Revell A380 decal sheets, PM me if you're in need of windshield decals.

Regards, Steven

Big ol' bus! Looks very nice in that BA scheme. I like the idea of doing it 'in flight', I've been thinking of doing one like that myself. I thing you might have just persuaded me to give it a go.

Cheers

John

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but this is absolutely awesome MJBRAND787. I have actually started and stopped my BA A380 but I wish to start it up again. I was just wondering if you could answer a few questions I had:

- How did you manage to paint/spray the back blue curve at the bottom of the A380? Viewed from underneath it does seem to curve together and I have struggled with this. Could you possibly lend some advice?

- What did you do with the windows? Are they filled in at all or just left open? I see them as black in your pictures so I assume they have been filled in?

Many thanks,

Tristan