Alclad 2 "aluminium"

MarkVX

It really depends on the finish you're after. The alclads are very thin, more of a coating, as such they show the base layer through them. A shiny base equals a shiny finish! The above suggestion of their own black primer, well polished is a good one. They also do a grey and a white primer. You can get a nice multi tonal effect by using the various colours on different panels. The gloss black base is good for a shiny finish, but it's a base not a primer so you still need to prime first.

Best bet is to have a play on some scrap parts first. Alclads can be tricky to master but once you have it's worth every second you spent practicing when you get the results!

its more about the finish than the colour with alclad imo.

the smoother the base coat the better the alclad coat will look.

i meant to try different base colours to see if it affects the colour of the top coat (different shades for different panels etc) but i never got round to it

I totally agree with PZRGREN. Alclad gloss black base all the way!

Important issues are as follows:

1. ALWAYS wear gloves when spraying Alclad - not woollen mittens, surgical gloves.....! Think finger-prints & natural skin oils
  2. Spray using the recommended psi....NOT your "usual" psi
  3. Make sure your base finish is flat as a witches, err.... "chest"!! The better the finish on your base, the better overall finish your final colour will be
  4. If you want a "shiny" finish then a totally smooth gloss base, satin finish then satin coat, flat finish.....can you guess where I'm going???

I would as well for contrast, mask off a few panels & go, gloss, satin & flat base. Then apply your Aluminium DUSTING coats! Spray at 12-15psi in a VERY well ventilated area & wear your face mask....it STINKS!!!!

Then show us what you have done when you have finished.....!

ATB

• Like 1