Revell He-111 H-6 1/72, Pre-SMW update.

Sorry Radleigh, I missed the bit where you said it would be winter camo'd... :blush:

I'm enjoying watching your build though, I have a couple of these in the stash plus one of the Hasegawa 'P' version - I think the prospect of masking that greenhouse is what is keeping them in the stash rather than on the bench :unsure:

Cheers,

Stew

I have one that is currently languishing in semi-completed land for exactly the same reason! Radleigh, I look forward to your winterising. Excellent job so far!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Hi Radleigh,

It's looking very nice mate - but I thought the Luftwaffe's bomber camouflage was black green/dark green throughout the war? I thought the 71/02 combination was only used on fighters?

Apologies if I am mistaken, like I said it looks good anyway.

Cheers,

Stew

I've decided to redo the Grey into the Green... as the winter wash I'm doing is fairly thin so it would show through to much.

Wings done, shall do the fuselage, tail planes and around the cockpit tomorrow :)

12196320536_12be404680_c.jpg

Redoing the RLM Grey. by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

• Like 1

I've de-masked it and there wasn't any steps, I always use pi$$ thin paint and dust it on when airbrushing.

Unsure on the white, never done it before... so I'll just go at it and hope ;)

I did exactly the same kit, with a winter distemper a while ago - what I did for the distemper was use 90% thinners to Tamiya white and sprayed random wiggles over the surface.

The first passes hardly show up but it will gradually build up. It also allows you to keep stopping and step away to see how it's built up, and will give a naturally uneven finish.

He-111-H6-Final_02.jpg

Hope that's some help

Peter

• Like 6

Camo is all done now, the eagle eyed amongst you will see that there is a few tiny patches to be done by the canopy, I'll do them when I come to do the canopy itself..

12226676425_636051f633_c.jpg
Splinter camo progress - He-111 by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

and I just used up the rest of the paint in the AB on the underside to give some variation when I apply the blue underside.

12227087074_641d431d52_c.jpg
Splinter camo progress - He-111 by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

• Like 2

I've just got to apply the underside decals then I'll give it a coat of Matt Kote shortly, two decals have silvered quite badly as I don't have any microsol(?) or anything..

Then it'll be time for some winter fun. (I'm saving the canopy until very last thing too, hence it being masked up - Dreading it tbh lol)

12270279433_8a72876f52_c.jpg
Almost ready for a winter camo. by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

Edited by Radleigh
  • Like 3

Thanks Neil, I have just put a coat of Alclad Matt Kote on, doesn't look to bad just a shame on the thick decals (wing insignia is the worse looking out the bunch) and the two that have silvered (the wings again...) Hoping to hide the silvering with the white, I shall make a mask and go up fairly close to the crosses.

(PS: I love 1/72nd scale, so much quicker to build :lol: )

12274190686_7c682722f4_c.jpg
Alclad Matt Kote on by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

• Like 1

Looking great Radleigh, good recovery, look forward to seeing the winter emulsion on.....re the decals something I always do is to dip them in Klear briefly before applying, gets rid of any silvering, if not just score very lightly over edges of the decal with the tip of a sharp blade and run Klear in, works as well. Having said that if you're going to cover it in white it isn't such a big deal...

"I love 1/72nd scale, so much quicker to build"........... Yes, but so much smaller !

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

Thank you Andy, I have actually tonight cut out what has silvered and all is OK.. I think.. the Crosses haven't lifted and look alot better. I'm almost tempted to take them off completely and just paint over them though..

I've been mucking about tonight with some light subtle Raw Umber streaks.. (also note the touch-ups needed on the wing fillet) This isn't final, just seeing how it looks.

12295047393_e9d5d7738b_c.jpg
Testing some weathering. by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

• Like 1

For this kit the Eduard pre-cut masks are money well spent. Looking good.

don't waste your money on pre-cut masks you don't need them on this kit. Tamiya tape and a brand new sharp knife blade is all you need. All the framing lines on the canopy are engraved, so just lay down the tape find the groove with your knife. Easy as pie

Won't be buying any masks, will be doing it all by hand... that's if I don't launch the kit into a wall :lol: Just fettling with it and saw a back to front FA on the table, a decal has 'fallen' off!?

*bangs head against wall*