Revell 1/72 Gannet T.5

Hi guys

This is my build for the training type group build. Playing it safe with the Revell Gannet T.5

I live a short distance from Culdrose naval base and being there is an option provided with the kit for an aircraft based there, there was not too much decision making to be done.

I'm going to build this one OOB with no AM parts just to see what results I get. Wish me luck

photo63_zpsda607d79.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, from what you are offered in the box you can certainly build a Culdrose ship. No need for enbelishment or AM parts, Build sa the instructions say and good luck.

Colin

Few photos to update, i'm happy with the look of the pit, colours maybe not 100% correct plus I used the kit decals for cockpit details.

photo31_zps35fded53.jpg

photo21_zpsf195064a.jpg

photo11_zps58f11d33.jpg

This is the first revell kit i've built for around 5-6 years now, and i'm surprised being that its a new tooling is the amount of flash on some parts, but then again. its a decent sized kit for £11 plus a good part count, so I shouldn't really complain.

So interesting one here chaps, maybe some advise. Maybe a slight disaster here, took the clear parts out the bag and noticed something wasn't right.

The bulged canopy for the pilot is actually cracked straight down the middle. It was only being held together by the clear sprue, so once removed I ended up with 2 parts. No question is, whats the best course of action to repair it. I've used some clear glue to bond the 2 halves together, its a very clean crake so just have the seem to deal with which stands out like a sore thumb.

The canopies are a real bugbear of this kit. I have the AS.1/4 boxing which is my second after my first one had all 3 canopies cracked in the box. At the time I contacted Revell but as it was OOP at the time, they wouldn't help.

With it being back in production, spares may be available now. Send a nice email here [email protected] and see what they say. They have always been helpful either way with me.

Nice start BTW :thumbsup:

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

OK, with replacement parts on their way from Germany I can at least get one with the rest of the build and all the clear parts once they arrive.

So fair good ammount of the main fuselage built and painted.

Used Tamiya acrylics for paint, XF-16 Flat aluminum and a Mix for the Red of XF-7 Red and a dash of XF03 yellow mixed with a little gloss.

This is where we are

photo12_zps501ffb10.jpg

photo22_zpscea9ae83.jpg

• Like 3

Yes driver, there is currently a restoration project on a Gannet t.5 in the US.

Revel also provided decals in box to build the extra aircraft. Although I'm building a Culdrose aircraft

Yes driver, there is currently a restoration project on a Gannet t.5 in the US.

Revel also provided decals in box to build the extra aircraft. Although I'm building a Culdrose aircraft

It's actually flying now -

Cool build too, I love the T.5 Gannet! :)

• Like 2

Awesome video there Radleigh, was a good watch, especially seeing it fly.

On another note, got a little more done today, finish construction of the tail and have attached some of the flaps with a few more going on soon,

I have to have the main air frame completed by tomorrow night along with the undercarriage and props.

One thing that has surprised me is the size of the aircraft, as I thought I was working with something much smaller, its not far off a 1/48 spitfire or WWII fighter

One thing I've always struggled with in modelling is choosing what to build next, I've got such a big collection that I will just look through boxes sometimes and take ages to pick a kit, This is my first group build and with limiting the subjects down to certain types it limited my choice and I was able to decided what to build straight away, and i'm seriously enjoying it.

here is a couple more pics

photo23_zps59919023.jpg

photo13_zps3c8ec574.jpg

• Like 2

Looking very smart. I was a little confused by the Revell boxings of the Gannet as one of them seemed to be a reboxing of the NOvo kit. I remember that one box had the aircraft flying to the right and one flying to the left and the one going left was the Novo rehash - must be a different version of the Gannet, as yours goes left but is clearly a very nice model. I do wish manufacturers would note the kit origins on their boxes. Anyhow, looking forwards to seeing this in all its glory.

Getting closer to the end, hope to have all painting and decals all done by the end of the week end, then all thats needed are the replacement canopy parts from revell which are on their way :)

Will upload some images shortly

how is the quality of your decals? Mine are rather disappointing, they are printed out of register, and the writings can hardly be read (it may sound too harsh, but on most kits, you still can read what's written!), and the roundels are a bit blurry too...

Alex

Update for this one, Undercarriage and flaps on, Quite a lot of weight needed inside this one, think i have around 30 air-gun pellets stuffed in every nook and cranny around the cockpit. But I succeeded, its not a tail sitter. I do have to say, i'm quite disapointed with the fit of the kit overall, it does require some work. Anyway here are a few pictures.

photo14_zps2ff838c9.jpg

photo4_zps3d3a03dc.jpg

photo33_zps8f047e7c.jpg

photo24_zps56c28923.jpg

• Like 2

Good job, nice colour scheme choice, I must get one of those. Loved the video by the way, and to Rod Stewarts 'Sailing'. An anthem to any Wafu from the 70's. I managed to hold back a tear!

I think there's a Sea Harrier flying in the States too, how come the yanks get to have all the fun? :weep:

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, This is now finished.

Here is a picture and the rest will be on the completed page.

photo35_zpse0e73aa5.jpg

Clear parts are a pain with this one, large seem down the middle of 3 of the main parts, after clearing up I still decided to open the canopies

• 2 months later...

Good job, nice colour scheme choice, I must get one of those. Loved the video by the way, and to Rod Stewarts 'Sailing'. An anthem to any Wafu from the 70's. I managed to hold back a tear!

I think there's a Sea Harrier flying in the States too, how come the yanks get to have all the fun? :weep:

I agree, think I've got 5 or 6 Gannets now; I'll have to investigate to determine if that's right though...they're stashed in out of the way places.

But as to the SHAR...yes, it's flown by an ex US Marine Corps Lt. Colonel named Art Nalls. Google him and read why he loves the a/c and watch some of his performances on YouTube.

And, not meaning to be rude, I should have added...I love your build thepureness. I love the Gannet and you've done it proud with this one. :clap:

Edited by Nobby57