1/76 Airfix IS-3

Hi,

I've started this thread a bit late in the process, but better late than never. :D

A bit before Christmas I was told not to get the Airfix version, and to look at some other ones (Here is that thread). But this was a Christmas present, and I've enjoyed the build so far.

I'm disagreeing a bit with the box though. I'd have expected them to use to Russian name, or rather, Stalin's Russian name (Iosif, rather than Joseph.) But it wasn't my choice, oh well. :shutup:

airfix_js3_box_2.jpg?w=820

So far I've assembled it and have painted the base colour and the machine gun:

2nkp7h1.jpg

r7iy3r.jpg

2v1oqbk.jpg

2zjc4jq.jpg

I'm just waiting for my airbrush propellant and the white paint to arrive in the post (due in tomorrow) to begin applying a snow camouflage to it using the hairspray technique.

Just a few questions:

How (and where) would you apply rust to it?

Should I add the decals now or after the camo?

And, do you know of any references for a Soviet tank (preferably the IS-3) with a snow camouflage?

Looking good mate. Glad your doing an WIP.

Snow cam; I'll add decals now. Put a gloss coat(floor polish or arcylic) over em to protect em. The use a bit of Blu Tac to mask the marking. As for Soviet post war snow cam I have no idea.

Rust mainly around items like spare tracks and such. However as for the tracks once she's a moving most rust will flake off. Put the rust on in the mid stages of weathering, but however their's no hard or fast rule.

Hope this helps mate

Regards

Crossy

Thanks Crossy, I think I'm going to start doing them more often, thanks for suggesting I do one.

Okay, I'll have to have another look around.

By mid stages of weathering, when do you mean? This'll be my first model where I'm attempting weathering.

That's great, thanks once again for the tips. :D

A little update:

I've added the decals and a layer of gloss over them, I've also got the tracks on temporarily, I'll remove them again when I'm airbrushing.

mkx1xe.jpg

2w2mtqv.jpg

Nice looking model Dread,

I have not seen any IS-3s with a snow camo scheme as such on them only the Olive Drab color with snow build up on the running gear,tracks and lower glacis due to operating in Russia, but its up to you if you want to apply a winter camo or not as i'm no expert so could be wrong

As for the rust as Crossy has already said only apply rust effects to parts that don't move such as spare track links and the fuel tanks on the back.

Anymore questions just ask.

George

Edited by slifer44

I think the biggest thing mate is to have a picture in your head of how you want her to turn out. The rust should be light and faded into the cam. I can't really give you answer as there's no right or wrong time to add it. It depends on what you want to add in the weathering stage.

So for example these are my stages i'm going to use on me JagdTiger;

-pin wash's

- paint most of the tools in a basic colour

-matt varnish

-filter then an heavier filter where dust would build up

-Pigments(currently on

-oils & enamels; which will I hope darken & highlights, plus streaking(this is where I'll add rust streaks, dust streak's)

-small details, re-do any other details such as add more pigments.

each stage of weathering can be gone over again if your not happy. Also to help your self out make a list of what your going to do. Pick 3 things you want to improve upon and try. For example 3 things I'm want to improve in my building were adding weld beads, fruil tracks and making decent grab handles. for painting & weathering; ambush scheme, improve pigments & oil applications and add a crew figure. I think working on 3 things, helps as you don't become over whelmed I used the 3's for most things in work and some other things

Hope it helps mate, just my way of thinking no hard and fast rule

Crossy

Nice looking model Dread,

I have not seen any IS-3s with a snow camo scheme as such on them only the Olive Drab color with snow build up on the running gear,tracks and lower glacis due to operating in Russia, but its up to you if you want to apply a winter camo or not as i'm no expert so could be wrong

As for the rust as Crossy has already said only apply rust effects to parts that don't move such as spare track links and the fuel tanks on the back.

Hi George,

Thank you.

After a bit more thinking, I'm partly leaning more towards giving the tank more of a 'snow on the tank' effect, rather than it being a camouflage, like this (despite that being a screenshot from World of Tanks, it's close enough)

Okay, I'll keep that in mind, thanks again.

I think the biggest thing mate is to have a picture in your head of how you want her to turn out. The rust should be light and faded into the cam. I can't really give you answer as there's no right or wrong time to add it. It depends on what you want to add in the weathering stage.

each stage of weathering can be gone over again if your not happy. Also to help your self out make a list of what your going to do. Pick 3 things you want to improve upon and try. For example 3 things I'm want to improve in my building were adding weld beads, fruil tracks and making decent grab handles. for painting & weathering; ambush scheme, improve pigments & oil applications and add a crew figure. I think working on 3 things, helps as you don't become over whelmed I used the 3's for most things in work and some other things

Okay, I'll make sure to remember that. I think I'll have an update later tonight - I'm thinking of adding the pin washes to the surface after having my rethink about the snow camo.

I didn't actually think of it like that, the 3's seem like a really good idea, I'll give that a try. Good luck with the rest of the Jagdtiger, it's looking really great so far.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Looks like it's going well.....I'd be inclined to do at least some pin-washes before adding the whitewash. :nerd:

I've never got the hairspray technique to work properly.....On my last attempt the hairspray brutally attacked the Klear coat I'd put on the model and made a right [CENSORED] mess! I'm switching to salt & savoury spreads for my future whitewash attempts! :wicked:

I decided to change the camo once again back to the original camo.

Looks like it's going well.....I'd be inclined to do at least some pin-washes before adding the whitewash. :nerd:

I've never got the hairspray technique to work properly.....On my last attempt the hairspray brutally attacked the Klear coat I'd put on the model and made a right [CENSORED] mess! I'm switching to salt & savoury spreads for my future whitewash attempts! :wicked:

I went over the panel lines with a dark green pin wash and then around some of the raised areas (like the vertical areas around the turret) just before adding the whitewash, also added a bit of rust to some areas, after seeing your suggestion.

I think the hairspray has worked well for me, not as well as it could have, but it was my first attempt at it. It was more the actual removing of the white that was the problem.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it so far, I'm not sure there's that much more I actually want to do with it other than adding a layer of matt over it.

Any thoughts?

(Sorry for the changes in colour of some of the pictures, that was down to my phone's camera playing up a bit. The second and last look closest, colour-wise, to the actual model)

2jd1a0w.jpg

34xgjgk.jpg

4v0gb5.jpg

27yaljm.jpg

just brilliant!!!!.

regards oz!.