SA Bulldog (Airfix 1/72)

AndrewE

My second entry in the GB will be the old Airfix SA Bulldog in the red/white/grey scheme using decals from Xtradecal. Doing this alongside the Hunter T.7 in the same scheme should hopefully be quicker than two builds in different schemes.

P1040771_zps7f6b9948.jpg

Andrew

• Like 1

I'm trying to find one of these now. It seems like as soon as the GB started they where purchased!! I smell a conspiracy here!! :P

Will be watching this one for tips and pitfalls :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

I'm trying to find one of these now. It seems like as soon as the GB started they where purchased!! I smell a conspiracy here!! :P

Will be watching this one for tips and pitfalls :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Try Kingkit.

http://www.kingkit.co.uk/product_detail.php?prodID=19788

Rick

Half my flying lessons were in the slightly less warlike Beagle Pup, so will be watching this one with interest!

OK time for the first update. Cockpit has been painted, the only items not from the blister pack are the seat belts from wine bottle foil. I added some small pieces of lead to the engine compartment before joining the fuselage but ended up adding more after everything was together as it still wanted to tail sit when the tail planes were added.

This is the second Airfix SA Bulldog I have built. The first was more years ago than I care to remember and it used to hang from my bedroom ceiling. Unfortunately it was right above one end of a table tennis table and came to a sudden and spectacular end during a game of table tennis when my Dad wound up to smash the ball and caught it full force on the back swing. Completely unrepairable of course, stray table tennis balls probably caused other damage over the years but that was the most memorable.

Andrew

P1100791_zps2db1044e-1.jpg

P1110792_zps34979623.jpg

P1110794_zpsac08c48a.jpg

• Like 3

This is going to be nice Andrew :)

For a moment though, as I was looking at your last three photos, I thought you were building a Heller Bf.108 (looks very similar!) :blink: . Maybe I just need my lunch...

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Time for a quick update. I am building this in parallel with my Hunter T.7 so both are now at the same stage and just about ready for some paint.

Andrew

P1190799_zpsf1460d0b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Running in parallel with my Hunter here is the Bulldog just out of the paint shop.

Tamiya XF-2 flat white, Xtracrylix XA1015 Light Aircraft Grey, and Xtracrylix XA1014 Red Arrows Red over an undercoat of Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red with a drop of yellow added.

Coming along nicely now, hope to get the decals on this week.

Andrew

P1270804_zps81a5f05e.jpg

• Like 2

That's looking great! Was wondering what you were going to use for the grey wing colour, my instructions call for humbrol 41 which is ivory, odd choice indeed. I think I have some Gull Grey which isn't far off that shade you've used.

I asked that very question HERE. I'm going to go with light aircraft grey with a dash of white for mine..

• Like 1

Spent some time this morning and yesterday on the Bulldog. Despite all of the lead I put onto the nose it turned out to be only just enough to stop it tail sitting, any slight vibration being enough to tip it back. So since I had not finished painting the prop I decided to hollow it out and drill a bigger hole in the engine front. This now has another piece of lead inserted that will hopefully make it much more stable. Unfortunately both prop blades became detached from the hub in the course of the work so these have had a slot cut in the base and a brass rod inserted which will go into pre-drilled holes in the hub.

I put the base together this morning as well from a piece of MDF picked up at a show, sprayed black and a section of Verlinden airfield hard standing glued to the top.

Andrew

P2010806_zps55226ce7.jpg

P2010807_zps3b153560.jpg

• Like 3