Here is my first build for this GB - an Airspeed Oxford.

I'm not sure whether the kit is by AZ Models or Admiral. The box has both logos so I assume the two companies are different arms of the same concern.

This is the box top.

O001.jpg

And these are the two main sprues.

O002.jpg

O003.jpg

Also in this kit is a transparent sprue and a selection of resin details.

O004.jpg

It looks to be a lovely little kit. The injection moulded parts have nice detail, although there is a very small amount of flash in some places. However, that is entirely consistent with the short-run nature of the kit.

I will be building the box top option, V3354 of 14 SFTS based at Cranfield in 1940. I'm not convinced about the style of the fuselage and underwing serials included on the nice decal sheet, but they should be easily replaceable from general sheets.

This is going to be fun!

Edited by Enzo Matrix

I will be building the box top option, V3354 of 14 SFTS based at Cranfield in 1940. I'm not convinced about the style of the fuselage and underwing serials included on the nice decal sheet, but they should be easily replaceable from general sheets.

No need. It seems that the odd serial style provided by AZ is correct!

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Oxford-V3354

• 4 weeks later...

Work spread over a couple of weeks.

These are the interior components ready for fitment.

O006.jpg

And fitted. The cockpit is quite detailed - not that much of it will be visible.

O007.jpg

Here is the wing assembly

O008.jpg

O009.jpg

And a close-up. As others building this kit have remarked, there is a deep sink mark on one of the nacelle parts. Not a problem. Milliput sorts it right out! :D

Another point of interest is that the kit has two fillets which project from the trailing edges to fill the rear part of the nacelles. These fillets don't actually exist on the real aircraft. The nacelle is simply open at the bottom. A couple of knife cuts and a few strokes with a sanding stick solve that problem. I also took a file to the very tip of the nacelles to thin the walls down a bit.

O010.jpg

Main assembly complete. I needed to use a bit of Milliput, but not too much. I have also started to mask the canopy.

O011.jpg

O012.jpg

O013.jpg

Glad you cut those trailing edge fillets off Enzo, hard to believe that a company has "done its research" into the aircraft but moulded fillets where there weren't any! I love Oxfords, I've got a fair amount of reference material including the Air-Britain Oxford file if you need any extra refs. Yours is coming along beautifully so far.

Max

• Like 1

Main assembly completed. The canopy had been maske with Tamiya tape and the whole thing has been given a couple of coats of Alclad2 Black primer which shows up any faults admirably. I'm in the process of correcting those faults.

O014.jpg

O015.jpg

I can't imagine that black would be my first choice of "undercoat" if I was contemplating painting my model yellow! :)

If I was using any hobby acrylic, black would be a disaster. However, I will be using auto paint from a rattle can applied in very thin coats. I've tried it out on a paint dummy and it works very well.

I will be using a Ford paint colour called Jasmine. It is quite a deep yellow very close to Trainer Yellow.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1002 Dark Earth. The paint is so glossy that it looks like black in the photo.

O016.jpg

Masked with blutak and Copydex and oversprayed with Xtracrylix XA1001 Dark Green.

O017.jpg

Masking removed.

O018.jpg

O019.jpg

Masked again with Tamiya tape, paper and copious amounts of Copydex. Sprayed with Ford Jasmine from a rattle can.

O021.jpg

O020.jpg

Masking removed. Many touchups required! :)

O022.jpg

O023.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...