1/72 Lockheed DP-2E Neptune Drone controller

hgbn

My entry for this group build a Hasegawa 1/72 Lockheed P-2V Neptune going to be converted to a Lockheed DP-2E Neptune drone carrier/controller using the Airmodel vacform conversion kit plus decals from the sparebox

449_04_01_14_5_44_22_0.JPG

449_04_01_14_5_44_23_1.JPG

The required pre construction shot showing the factory sealed boxes and bags

aiming to do the checkered tailed on this page http://p2vneptune.com/v05d.shtml

I like the look of that Henrik!

Pete

I have the Neptune kit, and I never knew about this conversion kit, very interested though..

I can't wait to see this unfold.

You can get it directly at Airmodels webshop http://www.airmodel.de/index.php?cat=c17_Aircraft-USA-Aircraft-USA.html&listing_sort=&listing_count=90

There is also some interesting Hercules conversion kits too

• Like 1

Now I have gotten my Corsair finished for the KUTA VI GB I can concentrate my efforts on the Neptune. Decided to do the deployed flaps. Have already done some pencil drawings on some of the parts needed.

However I'm still debating with myself on the material to use. Thin plastic card or thick aluminum foil for the spars/ribs.

• Like 1

449_09_01_14_9_57_31_0.JPG

449_09_01_14_9_57_33_1.JPG

449_09_01_14_9_57_34_3.JPG

449_09_01_14_9_57_35_4.JPG

Been doing some plastic surgery the last past evenings. Cutting the flaps free and considerably thinning the remaining trailing edge since the forward part of the flap bay is the aft main wingspar. So it end up with a deep recess, It doesn't looks of so much yet. This is the mock up phase :pipe: Making masters of every part needed for both sides of the aircraft. I better do this since I have quite a stash of Neptunes, and I know myself doing a major scratch effort on this one now, is going to affect the rest of the bunch. Boy this one is going to take more time than first envisioned. Main gear wells is void of any detail out of the box, you see what you get from Hasegawa in above pictures. That is going to be changed I probably end up as a certified plumber and wiring expert when finished :hypnotised:

449_09_01_14_9_57_34_2.JPG

A quick pencil draft I made of the inboard flap bay......... Don't you love partially scrapped aircrafts, a great way to dissect the anatomy of a chosen subject

Edited by hgbn
  • Like 2

449_13_01_14_11_44_45_1.JPG

449_13_01_14_11_44_44_0.JPG

Finally some spare time to model a bit

Abandoned my plan for doing masters of each part, since I thought it will be better fitting for one model of the time

Edited by hgbn
  • Like 2

449_16_01_14_6_49_48_1.JPG

449_16_01_14_6_49_48_0.JPG

Been busy doing the rest of the ribs in the flap bay. Now the electric wires, wire boxes and hydraulic lines is left to do. Also the threaded rods used to deploy and retract the flaps. Can see from the photo's taken at the gear well that I need to do some surgery at the forward part of the wing. Need to cut into the forward main wing spar.

Edited by hgbn
  • Like 4

Thanks, yes it is very satisfying. Only downside is that tends to spread to other areas of the aircraft. It should have been a quick OOB with a minor conversion build, or at least this was planned initially. But with that amount of excellent reference photo's easily available on the web. It would be almost a sin not to improve a really good base model, to something a little more interesting to look at. I foresee to scratch build a new cockpit for this aircraft too. I know Pavla has a resin kit for that, but..... I'll try and see if I can do something myself.

• Like 1

449_18_01_14_10_04_16_0.jpg

449_18_01_14_10_04_16_1.jpg

Been scratching my head on how to create the threaded rods for the flaps. Ended up literaly making threaded rods of some 0.4 mm wire with some thin copper wire from a electric extension cord winded arround the 0.4 mm wire.

Sorry for the shaken photo, but it actually amplifies the thread effect

449_18_01_14_10_24_13_0.jpg

Haven't done much progres today Been busy cutting my own strips and making the hobbyroom high tech and connected to the internet via my daughters laptop ( Its a really old one and she has bought a tablet which she prefer). I was a little annoyed checking references at my desktop rig at the other end of the house, then make some pencil drafts for guides. this is much easier.