Then and Now part deux: Constellation and 787

I had so much fun doing the North Star and DC-9 for a Then And Now group build that I decided to do another pair. This time it's Revell's Lockheed Constellation in TCA colours paired off with Zvezda's Boeing 787 in my best approximation of the Air Canada colours it will wear when it enters service later on this year.

The 787's fuselage fit is pretty good
t_n_50.jpg
Only a skim of filler is needed on the bottom
t_n_51.jpg
I blocked off the APU exhaust hole with a piece of styrene tube and filed it to shape
t_n_52.jpg
The wings also fit well
t_n_53.jpg
except where I stuffed up the assembly. But filler and sanding will save that
t_n_54.jpg
A test fit reveals the size of the beast
t_n_55.jpg
Turning to the engines, a coating of Humbrol Polished Aluminium on the fan bits
t_n_56.jpg
While the hot section gets Polished Steel
t_n_57.jpg

That lot can sit aside and dry while the primer dries on the Constellation
t_n_58.jpg
t_n_59.jpg

Boeing paints the 787 in mostly overall white rather than their usual grey. Thus I'll use white as a primer
t_n_60.jpg
Oh dear, the camera reveals a nasty paint sag below the forward windows. Must remember to sand that out once it's dry.
The engines are lovely little assemblies. What I thought would be a two layer fan turned out to interlock into a one layer fan which would have been impossible to mould cleanly because the blades are so close together. Zvezda's engineering here is very clever
t_n_61.jpg
I painted the insides of the cowlings with Alclad Duraluminium on the bare plastic, hoping to achieve a light metallic colour
t_n_62.jpg
The engine assembly is very positive with no fit problems
t_n_63.jpg
As I had hoped, there's a subtle tone difference between the fan cowl and the intake
t_n_64.jpg
Engines assembled and awaiting their intake rings
t_n_65.jpg

• Like 1

I glued the 787's wings several months ago and then put them back in the box. Everything else was freshly started yesterday; airliners go quickly when everything works well.

Edited by Jessica
  • Like 1

Nice work, Jessica! I really must resurrect my 787 build - I'm debating whether I need to strip the paint off and start again.

Are you doing wheels up or down? It's a nice kit isn't it, although it could do with a little more detail. I think Zvezda did a better job of moulding the engine fans the Revell have managed with their recent kits.

Cheers,

Andrew

Another interesting pairing, the Connie in TCA colours is the No.1 best looking airliner ever. (No.2 - BOAC VC-10!) The dreamliner is growing on me, it is starting look good in real airline liveries rather than the prototype schemes the kits have.

(Are the TCA Connie decals still avaialble? I did a Minicraft one with Gordon Parkers 'Whiskey Jack' sheet about 10 years ago, but gave it away when finished. I'd really like to replace it).

Look forward to the progress on these!

John

The Constellation is mostly assembled, apart from the tiny bits which are so easy to knock off
t_n_67.jpg
And the 787's main gear is assembled and drying. The fit is tight enough that I didn't need to glue the struts into the well, which will make painting so much easier when I can take them out after the glue dries.
t_n_68.jpg

The Constellation is nearly done, with the exception of the landing gear and the sense antennae which live on the lower fuselage and are extremely prone to being knocked off. Time for the white paint on the upper fuselage.
t_n_69.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looking nice. I've just painted an A320 in "ice blue" (xtracolor paint) and it does look quite smart.

With your 787, did you have any fit issues with the windshield? I've read your post and you've made no mention it; mine was too wide and I had to attach one side, allow to thoroughly dry before bending the other side in to glue - as a result the clear part has cracked very visibly. Other than that its a decent kit.

Do Air Canada receive their first Dreamliner soon? I'm sure I read it somewhere...

Jeff

No, I had no trouble with the windscreen. I'm using a decal so I just went ahead and glued it solidly into place. Perhaps you got a warped one? Air Canada is supposed to get their 787s beginning this Spring. I'm wondering how accurate my painting decisions will be.

No, I had no trouble with the windscreen. I'm using a decal so I just went ahead and glued it solidly into place. Perhaps you got a warped one? Air Canada is supposed to get their 787s beginning this Spring. I'm wondering how accurate my painting decisions will be.

Mmmh, perhaps I did. After posting the question above, I re-found the Air Canada Dreamliner site (https://787.aircanada.com/en) and it does look very smart indeed.

Well I can already tell that I guessed wrong about the engines. Up till now Boeing has resisted airlines' paint schemes on the engines, claiming that the only paint with low enough drag has been their white but it looks as though they've either found a low-drag ice blue, or it's all been a lot of hot air. Back to the paint booth...