Special Hobby Miles M14A Magister 1/48

bobster

Hi All,

I have a choice of things to build...

11739480616_1aac49129f_o.jpg
Choices... by arrjaytee, on Flickr

I have plumbed for the Magister, although I have never built a kit with resin or photo etch or a limited run kit. :unsure:

Luckily, I have a back-up plan in the two very good looking Airfix Gnat and Vampire Kits, but I'll see how things go. Hopefully with patience and care I can do the Magister justice.

11739484206_b65d407e10_o.jpg
Miles Magister Box contents by arrjaytee, on Flickr

Looking forward to this group build as the Obselete GB (my first) was great.

Rob.

I'm think I'll build it as per the box art (No 8 EFTS RAF Woodley, 1941), although there is an option for an Irish Air Corps machine that is Black fuselage, Aluminum dope + tricolour bands on the wings that looks nice as well.

Similar to kit Option:

11747834445_dd612e167e_o.jpg
Irish Air Corps 2 by arrjaytee, on Flickr

Another Option:

11748082463_95fa3d2f01_o.jpg
Irish Magister by arrjaytee, on Flickr

Made some progress over the weekend:

11804647426_bd00e03c7c_o.jpg
Miles Magister cockpit by arrjaytee, on Flickr

The resin floor was a bit of work as a large amount of resin block needed to be removed from the lower surface of the floor, for it to sit correctly in the bottom of the fuselage. I managed to crack one of the resin seats when removing it from its resin block also. There are a pair of injection molded seats on one of the sprue's, so not too much of an issue. I may use the supplied vac form blind flying hood in the closed position on the back seat position, depending how it looks when painted. I can then use the remaining resin seat in the front, as it does look better than the injection molded one.

Added the PE (with a bit too much epoxy, luckily hidden by the bulkheads etc) and assembled the instrument panels, learning all the time as it is the first go with PE and resin parts.

I have now painted the fuselage interior with cockpit green and it is looking better now.

After being apprehensive this build was going to be a pain, I am a convert to building limited run kits!

• Like 1

Hi All,

I have made some progress on the cockpit area, quite pleased with it, just need to tidy up a couple of bits/paint the rudder pedal straps + throttle lever.

11885366883_798f3be968_o.jpg
Miles Magister cockpit_2 by arrjaytee, on Flickr

11885925586_e9562397fd_o.jpg
Miles Magister cockpit_3 by arrjaytee, on Flickr

Getting into using photo etch now, how you chaps use it in 1:72 is beyond me! Just need to be a bit less heavy handed with the superglue!

Onwards and upwards!

Rob.

I think the Woodley one would be nice as it became home to Miles and there is a Miles Museum there nowadays.

You are right Paul, but that all black IAC one does look particularly smart! :coolio:

The interior is looking really Rob, particularly as we are seeing in many times larger than life. I bet it's a real cracker in the flesh.

Cliff

Liking that very much!

Max

Thanks Max, it is an enjoyable build. Joined the fuselage halves now and filler applied!

Rob

Edited by bobster

Hi All,

A bit more progress with joining the fuselage halves + filling and then fitting the wings. Overall not as bad as I thought it would be with the wings, as they are butt joints. It was not possible to add any extra form of fixing, as this would have passed through the cockpit area.

12018714444_452c040d3a_o.jpg
Miles Magister build by arrjaytee, on Flickr

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have made some more progress with this one. Sprayed Tamiya Chrome yellow for the undersides and then used Humbrol 116 and 119 for the upper fuselage. Painting the camo on the wings now, hopefully the masking on the wing joints works OK!

12255302093_cb47206694_o.jpg
Miles Magister camo_1 by arrjaytee, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well after a paint disaster involving gloss varnish and period of reflection/full paint strip, I have repainted from scratch now. I almost threw the towel in on this one!

12660910883_5de0566dca_o.jpg
Miles Magister painted by arrjaytee, on Flickr

Nervously heading towards a satin coat ready for decalling!

Rob.

• Like 2

Is that wing masked with Tamiya masking tape??? If so its quite risky and sorry to say a waste of tape. When you do this again try just using tape around edges where it matters and then covering the rest with paper or tissue held in place with cheaper masking tape. Lessens the risk of pulling up the pre painted surface under it! Just trying to help.

Is that wing masked with Tamiya masking tape??? If so its quite risky and sorry to say a waste of tape. When you do this again try just using tape around edges where it matters and then covering the rest with paper or tissue held in place with cheaper masking tape. Lessens the risk of pulling up the pre painted surface under it! Just trying to help.

Hi Paul,

I just masked the wing root with tape as I would never get a smooth radius/straight line freehand. The camo was brush painted and the demarcation between the green and brown achieved with artists rigger brush.

I have an old Heller Tempest I started in 1990 or so and in the process of completing (in my new stint as a modeller) and needless say it to took three attempts to achieve the painted invasion stripes as I each time I removed the tape after applying the black stripes, some parts of the paint work came away during unmasking... :banghead:

Rob.

I have now applied a coat of satin and applied the decals....

12693961615_7d403f45ce_o.jpg
Miles Magister painted-decals applied top by arrjaytee, on Flickr

12693961965_64a7fc2e91_o.jpg
Miles Magister painted-decals applied bottom by arrjaytee, on Flickr

The decals went on well, with a bit of Microsol to bed them down. Please excuse my hands free spraying jig thingy in place of the prop!

Rob.