1/48 Kinetic T-45 Goshawk +++FINISHED+++

AndyC

Hi all

Hopefully the first of at least two builds for this...Kinetic's Hawk on Steroids

004_zps174f2839.jpg

005_zpsb93ea3b4.jpg

006_zps574bf79d.jpg

Time to break out the International Orange and clean the airbrush ready for a pearly white finish!

See you later!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some cutting of sprues and some pre-priming. Started with some filling and sanding to the inside of the intake tunnels where there were some sink marks

001_zps0a5bc0d5.jpg

Then separated all the cockpit parts and started general and detail painting. First Light Ghost Grey overall with the floor masked off and the side consoles sprayed NATO Black as the C model seems to be predominantly black inside except for floor and stick

002_zpse85c98ea.jpg

Some detail painting and a dry brush including the IP for the C model which is a digital cockpit. I just painted Tamiya Green into the digi display screens as a representation. I also fixed some generic Airscale decals into the remaining dials

003_zps91701d75.jpg

The seats are quite nice and were glued and sprayed NATO Black - the photos appear to show them black

004_zpsacabb08f.jpg

The cushions were painted Interior Green and then Jammydog 1mm tape was cut and fixed in place with the tape painted grey and then with a silver overlay

005_zps9ef846dd.jpg

I must get back on track with the instructions and choose my nosewheel (there are two options). The legs have been sprayed white and the tyres Rubber Black.

More later and thanks for looking

A fine start Andy that bodes well for the rest of the build.

If it helps I linked some of my TW-2 Goshawk photos in the Reference section of this Group Build and have some more if they are of interest or use.

Mark

I glued the IP's into their respective shrouds - the instructions are not too clear at what angle they need to lie at so as not to foul the consoles - so they were lightly glued just in case

001_zpsf58f4040.jpg

A dry fit of the cockpit tub showed only minor fit issues which a gentle sanding of the sides cured

002_zpsaf7a5e8d.jpg

I glued the intake trunking after spraying them white inside and Dark Iron for the rear section. The fit is good

003_zps4b43a874.jpg

A dry fit of the fuselage sides showed that my fuselage was more akin to a banana and the fit of the nose will be a bit iffy. This was pointed out on other on-line builds. You can see the finished intake trunk at the right.

004_zps50643b3c.jpg

I placed a weight just underneath the rear seat as there is a handy hole there. I then glued and clamped the fuselage which took a while to get a good join. Why do Kinetic make this so difficult? After quite a bit of fettling I managed to get the IP/shroud assemblies in and glued in place

005_zpsfbbc29a2.jpg

All the photos I have seen show that more often than not the front doors of the nose wheel are shut and so that's what I will show. I cut the bit off the closed door option and glued it in place - it will need some filler and a re-scribe but is OK

006_zps7ce60820.jpg

The rear shroud aft of the cockpit was glued in after adding the intakes - I have already lost the blade aerial - that should be easy to replace and I should have left it off anyway until after sanding

007_zps9139e865.jpg

And this is where she is now. Ready for some sanding and minor filling

008_zps315fba22.jpg

On with the wings and wheel bays. Thanks for looking

• Like 1

Some nice progress here Andy!

I'm almost at closing the fuselage. How much weight did yo put into it?

About 12.5g I think - a small fishing sinker

Watch for a very sloppy fit of the wing to the fuselage. Mine had very large gaps. The intakes are also pretty gappy and I used a lot of putty sorting it all out.

goshawk_16.jpggoshawk_21.jpggoshawk_24.jpggoshawk_23.jpggoshawk_22.jpg

That's about the worst fitting part of the kit. I also knocked off a tailplane because the tabs are pretty weak. I'd recommend that you leave them off until the last minute. They really don't need to be glued on before painting, and it's easier to sort out the speed brakes if the tailplanes aren't in the way.

Thanks noeyedears and Jessica. Yes, that fit underneath is pretty bad as my test fit has shown. The intakes are pretty poor too - I've done a lot of dry-fitting on these and the fit on mine is not so much gaps as the intake pieces sitting proud of the airframe, so I have done a lot of sand/dry fit/sand before I've even got to the stage of gluing.

Hope fully an update tonight to try and show what I mean!

So, some work to the wings. I'm not a great fan of drooped flaps and slats so, I decided to place them both in the 'up' position and used the appropriate flap guides. The wheel well walls were a bit of a pain and the locator for the u/c legs are a little vague as they are formed by a pincer from the front and back wall pieces and had to be moved about a bit once the wings were glued

001_zpsf16ef6d0.jpg

002_zps99df595c.jpg

007_zpsbcf75411.jpg

I think as Jessica alluded to earlier the intake fit is quite poor. I did a lot of dry fitting and sanded down the outside edge of the splitter plate to start with. Even then you can see thet the outer piece sits quite proud of the main fuselage behind it

003_zps0e3c805c.jpg

I glued the splitter in place and then tackled the outer portions by some vigorous flat sanding and lots of checking against the finished surface. It was worth it as there is a huge improvement and little filler will be needed now

004_zpsc84825ae.jpg

006_zps11a45eb0.jpg

The wing to fuselage join is going to need some minor packing with rod and filler...

005_zpseb7608b5.jpg

Finally there is an ugly seam mark up the middle of the canopy and this was sanded out and polished and a final dip in Klear and left to air dry

008_zps8942f436.jpg

Thanks for looking. Wings on next and then some final sanding. There are a couple of minor seams that have had some Mr Surfacer 500 dabbed on and will need sanding. The its onto canopy masking and priming including the inner frame.

Thanks for looking

I agree with both of you - however it just needs a bit of modelling TLC! The canopy will be built open as it's too narrow to display closed (as I found out last night!). I will tackle that wing/fuselage join tonight... :fight:

Andy,

You're really flying with this build! Looking very good.

Got the same problems as you with the intakes and the wings.

I'm trying to get the intakes a little wider to get both problems a little bit smaller.

Hope this helps but I'm not very sure!

Cheers Lex - dunno about flying...moving along nicely though!

Completed all the initial filling and sanding apart from the wings. Time to tackle those intakes and the wing joint. The prep has cut down the amount of filler needed on the intakes

004_zps7a57d115.jpg

The wing/fuselage joint is a different matter...The rear fits snugly but the front part will need some minor shaping and then filling with sprue and filler as will the wing root on top

005_zps512774b4.jpg

I masked up the canopies ready for priming in black

003_zpsc2348ee3.jpg

That's all for now. Prepared for sanding heaven...

• 2 weeks later...

Well Jabba - as you can see it's gone! Quite a lot of repetitive fill/sand/fill/sand in smaller doses each time and the complex curves around the intake/wing joint were a little awkward but we got there! I used a strip of plastic rod and then filled over.

010_zps5040a097.jpg

After that pic she went in for primer and the canopy parts were primed black. The windscreen needed filling and sanding as the fit ain't too good but not a problem really.

A quick rub down with 1500 wet and dry and I thinned up some Humbrol 22 Gloss White and started spraying. Two coats later...

004_zpsce3b5624.jpg

005_zpse3b6a05c.jpg

Then the major masking for the International Orange. My own concoction as used on one of my recent builds (Tamiya Orange with about 20% Humbrol 174 Signal Red added). This was then sprayed as below

006_zps0b46226c.jpg

All the u/c doors and tail planes were also painted white. Next up will be the black anti-glare panel (sprayed) and the intake lips (brushed).

Thanks for looking

• Like 1

Great job Andy, must admit I'd have binned it ages ago!

Max

:winkgrin: I bide by the old adage - "nothing beats me..." - I really want a T-45, so she is the only game in town. I've had far worse kits than this (Monogram F-14 springs to mind)

This is coming on very nicely. You have certainly beaten those gaps. Surprising for a Kinetic kit to have such poor fitting parts. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

Tom.

Thanks for the encouragement Lex and Tom...much appreciated

Well the anti-glare panel got sprayed and then I took off all the masking...went OK with only a tiny run at the fin. Once this had been corrected, I got the brush out and hand-painted the intake lips with Humbrol 60.

006_zpsc8c82bde.jpg

007_zpsb2ddd478.jpg

I think she will be ready for decals next. I have tidied up the NATO Black to the cockpit areas where there was some slight bleed under the sponges and masks but that is OK now.

Thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Andy, I have been doing its little brother in the under a tenner GB and seeing yours with some colour on it has got me going again on mine, thanks and looking forward to seeing how yours finishes up.

Nearly there keep going

Graham

• Like 1