Spitfire with light tone rudder

Flavio

I agree. Actually I can see the camouflage demarcations on that rudder, but with both tones lighter than on the fuselage. Looks like a lighting effect to me.

No serial on display but the best suggestion I can come up with is that it is AB912, based on this:

http://www.350sqn.be/aircraft.html

Edited by Work In Progress

Thank you friends,

for your replies.

In the mean time I found in my archive another photo of this plane (from "Les Ailes de gloire, tome 11"):

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s499/Flaviosil/DuMonceauSpit3-3.jpg

This time the rudder does not seem so deflected to justify an effect of the light; what do you think?

Work In Progress, the serial of the plane should be BL540 (the site you are referring, quotes it as MN-U); in fact according to C.Shores "Aces High" Du Monceau had Spit V BL540 as his personal plane in May and June 1942 (note the fuselage Roundel and the Fin Flash, the new national markings were adopted from May '42).

Flavio

On the balance of probabilities it looks like it was repaired. The damage on the fin seems to confirm that. I'll bet any money that on the day after the photo was taken it was repainted and back to normal. Meanwhile I would have though red primer would be the most likely candidate.

Thank you all for the help,

the rudder seems really a new spare part, probably it was available at the Maintenance unit of the Squadron; I would say that these spare parts were unpainted, and they were painted at the moment of the usage.

I am not an expert, so I would like to know if the color of unpainted rudder was red primer only or they could be shipped in other primer color.

Thank you

Flavio