1/48 Trumpeter Whirlwind (the Crikey one)

gingerbob

Good for them. Puts Revell's New Year list to shame pretty much with one release. Ok that's a tad OTT for emphasis but you know what I mean.

The test will be if it improves on the Classic Airframes kit I suppose

• Like 1

Wonder who the artist is? That painting looks great and has a certain 40ss era look to it that suits the subject well. As for the kit - let's wait and see but I'm hoping to have my biased expectations proved wrong with a good accurate model.

You don't fancy starting one of their 1/48 Blenheims , do you...?

Haven't got one in the stash, but if you send me one I'd be happy to start it!

Does 70 parts seem a bit few for anyone else?

A 1970's 1/48 Spitfire has 70 parts; Eduard's IX has 179: as a twin I would expect the Whirlwind to be over 100 with a well-detailed interior. The CA one had 89 (resin and plastic parts counts combined).

Most heavily armed and fastest yet not a success?? Can anyone explain why this aircraft isn't up with the spit and hurri?

In a nutshell: Limited range, unsupported engine, not much development potential. Plus a number of problems of Westland's and Petter's own making.

It's also not clear how handy it was in a dogfight. Accounts vary, but I suspect it wasn't as nimble as the singles. Lovely looking plane though.

[Edit: oops, this was a follow on to post 20, bottom of p.1- I failed to notice that there was a page 2 when I replied!]

...and because it didn't get into useful service until after the Battle of Britain, and everyone knows that everything after that was just an epilogue.

:pilot:

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Put me down as another Trumpeter skeptic - been burned too many times to have much faith or hope until the plastic has been examined in detail....

I certainly wouldnt be parting with the Classic Airframes' kit in expectation of this release.

The Vampire was such a shocker (and I am no rivet counter) that Trumpy will need to work hard to restore confidence in their ability to mproduce an accurate kit.