Airfix Mig 15 AKA My First Build!

Happy new year, fellow Britmodellers! After much lurking in the shadows, I bit the bullet, fired up the Dremel and connected up the Ol’ Harder ‘n Steenbeck… and lo, an Airfix Mig-15! (Almost OOB).

Port1.jpg

A little artistic license in the undersurfaces being nice Russian blue prior to the crazy Koreans slathering on the matt black.

Stbd1.jpg

Oh what fun it is to drill a 0.3mm hole and try and get some EZ line into it… and let’s not forget the hours on the carpet looking for the teeny tiny resin landing lights (so called “pickup pencil” my a**)

Stbd2.jpg

Albion alloys micro tubes for guns.

Cockpit.jpg

Airmodel seat buckles and homemade belts:

Tail.jpg

And a complete new jet pipe with throttle body that is now invisible, sigh.. even first time builders succumb to AMS.

I learnt a lot: Airbrushing is hard. Resin is hard. Seam hiding is hard. Placing micro dots of superglue is hard. And getting to anywhere near the standard of most of you guys is pretty hard but what the hey, what have I got to lose but my sanity?

Cheers

Anil

PS Best bit was firing up my new Nikon D600 and finding all the images have huge dust/oil spots because there is fault with their sensors...ah well it only cost £2000, whaddya expect for that?

• Like 9

"Airbrushing is hard. Resin is hard. Seam hiding is hard. Placing micro dots of superglue is hard. And getting to anywhere near the standard of most of you guys is pretty hard".

Agreed on all but the last part, that is a really nice model you have completed there. I have been back in this game for about four years and you're ahead of my standard with your first build!

I think that's superb work, particularly the airbrushing and the seam removal, for a first build. The only thing I'd say is that you seem to have brought out the panel lines in some areas (particularly around the tail, in the last photo), but not others. However, the general quality puts my efforts to shame. Homemade belts to boot - excellent work!

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the positive comments: to be honest this was much easier than I made out, I just followed lots of build threads,
made sure I had all the tools before I started and listened to all the superb advice this community shares.

And amblypygid, Didn’t do owt to the panel lines, it’s just the lighting. Preshading is for build no2 and then panel washes for No3, woohoo!

Cheers

A

• Like 1

Hi John R

I know what you mean about the jewellers eyesight! Most amazing thing was I dropped both the resin landing lights which are about 0.5mm,

multiple times and found them nearly instantly on my light grey carpet. I think the carpetmonster gods like me.

A