1/48 Tamyia Spitfire Mk.I

Crossy

I did start the cockpit 4 years ago(this is my second model returning to the hobby). I've made a few parts for the cockpit my first real attempt. Goodies I'm using is Eduard flap, cockpit and general detail sets, Ultra cast control surfaces, 5 spoke wheels and seat. Any C&C during my build are welcome, anything I can do better please tell me, as it's the only way to get better.

Regards Crossy

Kit & goodies

file-8.jpg

file-9.jpg

file-10.jpg

file-11.jpg

Did some last night and this morning

file-7.jpg

file-6.jpg

file-3.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-1.jpg

Edited by Crossy
  • Like 2

This is a great kit as usual from Tamiya, built one a couple of years ago and have another in the stash, "just in case"! Thats a particularly impressive load of resin and PE to go in it! I look forward to the progress!

• Like 1

Well for a start are you having the Spitfire sitting on the ground or flying or coming into land? I ask this because you only need the flaps open if it is coming into land. Spitfires sitting on the ground (with the exception of museum Spits) will have the flaps closed. The flaps were only ever opened for landing or maintenance...

• Like 1

Hi Crossy,

Nice work you are doing on the cockpit. Since you are doing some extra work there, you may interested in doing some additional work to the airframe at well. The Tamiya wings are overly curved at the trailing edges, and a bit overly curved along the outer leading edges as well. In addition, the fuselage is a bit short aft of the cockpit, which can be fixed although it takes a fair bit of work. I would also suggest doing some extra work to drop the elevators; unless a flight control lock is used, the elevators will fall to the full down position when the airplane is sitting on the ground.

If you are interested in any of these updates, send me a PM; I have done them on a couple of these kits and have some in-progress pictures of the work.

I am looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers, Jim

• Like 1

I hate to be the voice of cold water, but Spitfire flaps were never left down on the ground. They're spring-loaded and held down by compressed air; the minute the air ran out they snapped up. That is if the Station Engineering Officer didn't see them first and fine the pilot for blocking the airflow through the radiator. The only time you'd see flaps down is if the Erks are in there doing some work.

Your work in the cockpit is looking excellent :) If it's not too late, here's a terriffic page of pictures of a Mk.V restoration on the Spitfire Site which will probably provide some inspiration for you.

• Like 1

Cheers thanks guys much appreciated for all the comments and advice. Just did the primer before I read all this. I'll have a look at the suggestions. Now the flaps might have to not do em. I got a couple more tamyia spits all Mk V's so will, try and go to town a bit more on em.

Regard

I hate to be a harbinger of ill news, but your interior paint looks too dark and too grey. Of course, it may just be the lighting, but what shades did you use? The blend given by Tamiya works OK as does Humbrol 78.

Dave.

Dave she's not painted yet mate or are you talking about Dadgaddad? I thinking now that I could use the Flaps on one of my MK V's, particularly the model with the dog.

Crossy

No, I meant yours mate. Obviously I need to get my eyes tested, and I am relieved! :) What threw me was the painted map case in the last image.

Dave

No, I meant yours mate. Obviously I need to get my eyes tested, and I am relieved! :) What threw me was the painted map case in the last image.

Dave

LOL, the map case isn't painted either, we have those days. I just had one ordering subway

Crossy

FWIW I used Humbrol 78 on that Spitfire. Since then I've been using GW Straken Green. For the seat I used Revell 37 Matt Reddish Brown, I think it's called. Here are these colours on a Seafire XVII I'm currently working on.

P1010013_zpse062ee39.jpg

Edited by dadgaddad
  • Like 1

Hi dadgadad - AFAIK only very early Spits had metal seats before these where changed to Bacelite. The Bacelite seats were left unpainted. Well I have to add that I too thought that no Spit could be seen with flaps down in parking position. :ike:

So better check your own references... ;-)

Rene

Rene, you are correct about the seats, although they weren't made of Bakelite, it was a different type of plastic. My point about the flaps is simply that if someone wants to build a Spitfire with the flaps down then he should go ahead. The picture proves that on one occasion at least, flaps were left down while the aircraft was parked.

Edited by dadgaddad
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Don't let the rivet counters get you down Crossy! you're doing an awesome Job.

Who cares about the flaps etc so long as it builds into something you're happy with and i reckon it's going to be a loveley model :)

Here's mine. Same Kit, less aftermarket :)

WP_20130805_050_zps56d1b724.jpg