Making Real Wire Wheels In All Scales

this is fantastic Plastheniker.

I cannot wait to try it out. I have read it over and I think you are right - while it may seem complicated, I believe that when actually making one, and following your instructions, it shall become a lot clearer.

Thank you for your great descriptive details

Jürgen, thank you very much for the clear explanation. Yesterday I picked from the stash an Academy 3-wheeled Morgan but it proved to be a bad choice as the spokes are in just one level (or in two levels very closely spaced). I will, as you suggested, make a "generic wheel" just to try your method.

Carlos

Thanks for the response!

this is fantastic Plastheniker.

I cannot wait to try it out. I have read it over and I think you are right - while it may seem complicated, I believe that when actually making one, and following your instructions, it shall become a lot clearer.

Thank you for your great descriptive details

You hit the nail. Learning by doing is the key. Properly speaking each step explains the next.

Jürgen, thank you very much for the clear explanation. Yesterday I picked from the stash an Academy 3-wheeled Morgan but it proved to be a bad choice as the spokes are in just one level (or in two levels very closely spaced). I will, as you suggested, make a "generic wheel" just to try your method.

Carlos

After one or more test wheels a drop center rim of the Italerie/Revell vintage Ferrari kits would be the easiest, however you would have to reduce the absurd width of the tyres first. If these kits are not available (or if you don't like them) the Morgan 3-wheeler is not a bad idea. I inspected the wheels I made for this model a long time ago. The conversion is not difficult because the inside and the outside spokes are nearly vertical and you can use the kit hub as a nice hub ring.

Hi Jurgen, It has been a while since I used your original article in the Fine Scale modeller (Is it that long ago? :blink: ) It is great to see the update & I will be modding some wheels soon,

but here is the pictures from then to show other Britmodellers that it works.

Mark D :thanks:

35thwheels001_zpse8356a39.jpg

0044_zps91d02e87.jpg0043_zps202fd8f4.jpg

004_zps6a0052b6.jpg0042_zps5079370a.jpg

0045_zps7af6ce6f.jpg0041_zpsa86b454a.jpg

I am really happy to hear that the MF and FSM articles are still remembered after decades.

Mark, detailing and weathering of your 1/35 bikes as well as posing and painting of the figures are outstanding. On such perfect models clumsy kit spokes would be particularly detracting.

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned in post #32 that the drop center rims of the OOP Italeri/Revell vintage Ferrari kits would be a very good first project.

Some days ago I heard that Academy will reissue (maybe has already reissued) the former Italeri/Revell Ferrari 250 GT California.

• 1 year later...

Hallo,

Is it just me, I cannot open the pictures.

Something that I do wrong ?

Regards,

Hans

Most of the photos seem to have been removed from the hosting site. You can't open them, because they are not there any longer. It's been two years since this thread was started, and no updates since 9 January 2014.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

This article prompted me to look through my old issues of Fine Scale Modeler and I just happen to have this issue. What else was pretty funny, in this issue was, an ad for Model Expo selling the Pocher Mercedes K90 for a special price of $349.99 or four installments of $87.50 each. And to top that off they were offering a $1000 buyback to anyone who completed the kit. They were to be used as hobby shop display models as promos. I don't know about posting scanned pictures of the article here but, if anyone is interested, PM me, and I will scan the article and send it to you.

• Like 1