HobbyBoss White 666 - Christmas Build 2014 *Updated 26/01/2014*

Was at a loss over Christmas and just a bit busy as one would expect ... Dah, Dah Dah!!! and NO MODELLING HUH!

Comes the weekend and I'm getting withdrawal symptons so 'what shall I build?

My newly aquired:

Merit Models M19 Diamond T? Sweeeeettttt!!! :Tasty:

Miniart European Tram? Gorgeous or what? :bouncy:

HobbyBoss Soviet AT-1 SPG? Argh, Kasten type track! :wall:

or THIS.......... :clap2:

2013_12300003.jpg

Yep, You guessed it

OK, so it's a TRUCK you say, but I haven't really done a truck for quite a while but it's a very full box (NO CANOPY though, which is a bit disappointing :rant: )

2013_12300002.jpg

And I need my junkie fix or I'll explode. So here goes.....

I actually started this on 30th December and this is where I am tonight...

2014_01010003.jpg

I hope you like the build and I'll update as I get to cardinal points.

2nd January 2014:

I proceeded with the PE

2014_01020003.jpg

The PE attached to the formers and fixed to the chassis - this is surprisingly easy due to the 'soft' PE supplied, no need to anneal it (it will dissolve! :boom: )

2014_01020007.jpg

and have test assembled the basic cab and cargo deck

2014_01020009.jpg

This is the current state of play - more later

4th January 2014 - It's now later :guitar:

The wheels are together (not fixed to chassis due to painting) and all touch the ground - Result! :clap:

A minor issue has arisen: Whilst the rear axle builds really well, the spigot from the axle onto which the wheel mounts is too small for the hole in the wheel hub (or, the hole in the hub is too big) - whichever works for you! I have wrapped the spigot with 5 thou using an old plastic straw and this seems to have resolved the issue - all is right with the world!

2014_01040012.jpg

Soon be time for paint, just the fiddly bits now.

2014_01040008.jpg

19th January 2014

I know, it's been a few days since my last confession - life sometimes gets in the way of modelling

As promised, the 'twiddly bitz' are now done - remember this kit is OTB - and all the sub-assemblies are now finally ready for paint

2014_01190005.jpg

The carpet monster has eaten one piece of PE but I hope to find it shortly (I have a tile floor!)

It's lunchtime now but will try to get the undercoat on by teatime today.

26th January 2014 - I've been throwing some paint around

2014_01250010.jpg

OK, Yes, I know the chassis is a lot shiny but I have the gloss finish to achieve the desired effect.

Following the decal application the chassis will get a coat of Satin Varnish to seal everything in and 'knock back' the chassis to a more realistic effect.

More later and soon to move to 'Ready for Inspection' - WooHoo I'm about to finish a model quickly - for those who know me they'll be stunned!!!

Edited by Shermaniac

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking truck, shame about the lack of tilt. It seems to be the norm for Hobbyboss and Trumpeter trucks to have the tilt shown on the boxart, but not contained within, blooming annoying. :rant:

Thanks Guys - had a few daze! off modelling but hope to get back to it by the weekend

Twiddly bitz not withstanding hoping to throw some paint around in the next few days

Wow that built up quick. :popcorn:

It does, it's a really 'straight forward' kit and, with the ability for several sub assemblies you're not actually waiting for a section to dry before you can proceed, you just start another assembly section - sweeeet :bling:

HobblyBoss/Merit have now also announced a soft top in both the White 666 & Diamond T - Weeeeeeeeee!

• Like 1

Nice start, looks like a nice kit, any issues with it? as I am thinking of getting one myself, looking forward to seeing more of this build :thumbsup2:

Tom

Issues? Actually, No - not really (up to now that is!) other than the rear axle thingy which is an easy-fix

I haven't tackled the windows yet - I got some clear canopy glue called "formula "560" but it is being a bit elusive, I think it's run off and is hiding from me :oops:

I'm on the final stages of the build - well, hopefully this weekend anyway, then paint but I'll chuck up a few more pics as I go along.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they are mostly ON the model now but I have a few comments on that:
2014_01260002.jpg
Many of us/you use Micro Set/Sol for our decals and generally that's fine. However, in this case not so much.

Well actually, you have to be really careful as the decals in this kit are very fine and very thin.

Micro Set/Sol are way too harsh for soaking the decal and soften it so much they stretch and curl up.

SO, you need to soak them in regular water the way we did back in the day!!!

You can still use Micro Set on the model then add the decal, dab it dry, then put Micro Sol over top.

I found this out the hard way and almost lost a whole set of decals - fortunately I have a second kit (another project planned) and thus a second set of decals.

The Cab and Cargo Deck are still not fixed to the chassis yet.

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 1