1/48th scale RAF groundcrew figs

geedubelyer

Hi gang,

A very Happy New Year to all. I hope your Christmas hols are going (went?) well.

Here's my question: Can any of you more experienced 48th scale modellers point me in the direction of some WWII RAF groundcrew figures please?

I've seen the Revell set and the ICM one plus another one too (can't recall exactly who, Eduard perhaps? :hmmm: ).

I'm hoping for a couple of blokes to sit on the wings of a Spitfire or possibly a fellow about to pull the chocks for a small diorama I'm attempting.

Any help is much appreciated, cheers.

Ooh they're good them aren't they?! Piggy bank hammer please...

Do you think so?

They may be OK for the Battle of France and BoB period, but as most RAF groundcrew in pictures from 1940 onwards sported RAF battledress or overalls with various leather jerkins, boots with seaboot socks etc, and in 2 TAF wore khaki battledress, I would find these figures quite limited in their use.

Selwyn

I do agree Selwyn that the uniforms limit their usefulness but as the original poster didn't specify a time period it is worth pointing him in their direction. They are lovely figures that paint up well. Parabellum sell a range of 1/48th RAF, RN and Army figures which are really nice as well but I've never seen them listed on the website only at shows

There are two Eduard sets, one for ground crew and the other for pilots, I've got both but they are not very good. The poses are a bit forced and the faces are very poor. The ICM/Revell set is superb and comes with some useful equipment as well.

I picked up some "Australian" pilot/groundcrew figures for my Buma Thunderbolt Diorama last year:

DSC_0020.JPG

They are from Jaguar: http://jaguarmodels.com/store/index.php/resin-kit/1-48-scale-figures.html and are quite superb. Here they are in the Thunderbolt diorama:

DSC_0376.JPG

Edit:after Silver Fox mentioned Parabellum I remembered them and you can get their product/price list here:

http://www.track48.com/shop/xnews.php?newsid=642

and here:

http://www.parabellum.co.uk/prc32.htm

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 1

I do agree Selwyn that the uniforms limit their usefulness but as the original poster didn't specify a time period it is worth pointing him in their direction. They are lovely figures that paint up well. Parabellum sell a range of 1/48th RAF, RN and Army figures which are really nice as well but I've never seen them listed on the website only at shows

Don't get me wrong I do agree that these are really good figures.

My biggest gripe is in that there are 100&1 figures of aircrew availble in all scales, but good groundcrew figures are noticable in their absence.

As someone who spent many happy years working on flight lines I can tell you that the one person you very rarely see out there is a pilot/aircrew! They tend to show up, go flying, and then land and dissapear to go and debrief.

Realistically I believe that there should be ten times more groundcrew figures available than pilot figures,

Just my 10P worth

Selwyn

• Like 1

Do you think so?

They may be OK for the Battle of France and BoB period, but as most RAF groundcrew in pictures from 1940 onwards sported RAF battledress or overalls with various leather jerkins, boots with seaboot socks etc, and in 2 TAF wore khaki battledress, I would find these figures quite limited in their use.

Selwyn

I do - i like them, but I also agree with you on the point that there should be loads more available - I have one set, which I think has been reboxed and repackaged by many folk and it would be nice to see a bit of variation. Still, I stand by judgement, they're nice.

RAF "Desert Pilot" and Mechanic 1/48 - Desperately seeking these figures for a planned diorama. If anybody has them and is willing to donate/sell/trade etc. It would bring my frustrations to an end. Relish Models has this listed as "out of stock". I dont even know who produced the original resin set.

thumbnail_DM48A018.jpg