Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary GB for 2015?

Procopius

“I have always loved England. But now I am in love with England. What a people! What a chance! The whole of Europe humiliated except for us. And the chance that by our stubbornness we shall give victory to the world.”

Harold Nicolson, diary entry for 31 July 1940

1. Procopius

2. PaulR

3. Robvulcan

4. Stew Dapple

5. Arniec

6. mackem01

7. Atom.uk

8. JohnT

9. Wez

10. Erwin

11. Bobster

12. kwaterous

13. Rick Brown

14. Mish

15. hgbn

16. Black Knight

17. Enzo Matrix

I feel it's a little presumptuous of me, an American, to be sole host of what I think is kind of an important potential GB. Would some kind person be willing to co-host with me?

There were a number of Americans in the RAF during the Battle.

Oh, I know -- every year around September we get a new book with a subtitle like "The Epic True Tale of the Americans Who Saved Britain And Taught the Royal Air Force How to Fight" or some such nonsense over here -- but I was making a joke about how many Americans enlisted in the RCAF claiming to be Canadian.

• Like 1

“If it is thought best for France in her agony that her Army should capitulate, let there be no hesitation on our account, because whatever you may do we shall fight on forever and ever and ever.”
Winston Churchill to Paul Reynaud, 13 June 1940

1. Procopius (co-host)

2. PaulR

3. Robvulcan

4. Stew Dapple

5. Arniec

6. mackem01

7. Atom.uk

8. JohnT

9. Wez

10. Erwin

11. Bobster

12. kwaterous

13. Rick Brown
14. Mish
15. hgbn (co-host)
16. Black Knight
17. Enzo Matrix (co-host)
18. wellzy

:doh: Wasn't it illegal under US law for an American to enlist in the armed forces of another country?

Yep, the Neutrality Act.

I hope so, I'm honestly a little surprised interest is so low as of yet. I suppose it's my personality.

:lol: Yeah that will be it mate.

I suspect it has more to do with the fact that it will be in 2015 and most folks haven't even got used to writing 2014 for the date yet - I predict you will find yourself pretty busy as it draws nearer :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

"After being shot down, I was in Ashford Hospital, Kent. Another inmate was Squadron Leader John Badger DFC of 43 Squadron. He had landed on an upturned branch after bailing out. His pelvis was split apart and there was nothing that could be done, but, during the whole time until he died, he laughed and joked with the nurses and visitors as though his life expectancy was for ever."

-- George Welford, 607 (County of Durham) Squadron

1. Procopius (co-host)

2. PaulR

3. Robvulcan

4. Stew Dapple

5. Arniec

6. mackem01

7. Atom.uk

8. JohnT

9. Wez

10. Erwin

11. Bobster

12. kwaterous

13. Rick Brown

14. Mish

15. hgbn (co-host)

16. Black Knight

17. Enzo Matrix (co-host)

18. wellzy

19. JackG

I propose 10th July to 31st October 1940.

I've just realised that's pretty much the length of a GB these days. Could we put in a special request for the GB to run from Sat 11 July 2015 to Sunday 31 October 2015?

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 2

"I remember coming on for a night shift and seeing a great glow in the south-east, like the biggest sunset you ever saw, and we said to the guard, 'What's that?' and he said, 'Oh, that's London burning.' That was the first time, really, that I felt it in the pit of my stomach."

-- Jean Mills, WAAF plotter at Duxford

1. Procopius (co-host)

2. PaulR

3. Robvulcan

4. Stew Dapple

5. Arniec

6. mackem01

7. Atom.uk

8. JohnT

9. Wez

10. Erwin

11. Bobster