Lesser Built Air Forces GB + CONFIRM BUILDS NOW +

CliffB

Count me in too. RDAF

Ohh here is all you need http://stoppel.dk/shop/danish-air-force-135s.htm

Please accept my apologies Henrick I've stolen your country! If you would rather do Denmark I can close my eyes and use the pin method again! The Stoppel site

is excellent and I must admit this proposed GB has opened my eyes to looking at other countries Air Forces.......I think I will be ordering some decals for Chipmunks, Tiger Moths (for the new Airfix offering) and meteors anyway to start before 2015.

Oh crap, I've edited my entry twice now... Can't seem to keep my fingers off Finnish AF subjects after all. I was going Israeli or Swedish first, but they haven't got small air forces. We have :-) Regards, V-P

Edited by vppelt68
  • Like 1

I like this idea a lot!

So then..........what is waaaaaay out of my comfort zone? Well it's safe to say I've never done anything from Iran so I'll choose that please.

No Tomcats as that is (with all due respect) the 'go to' aircraft for that country. So...... I'm thinking Phantom (again out of my usual fare) and if I'm allowed Persia I would seriously think of the Tiger Moth or a Hornet Audax.

Trevor

• Like 1

Could be interesting

Sounds silly but could we have a full list of countries pinned to the top thread so we know what is eligible and still available.

I'd like to do something Latin/ Central American but I fear they may get snapped up fairly quick

I'd like to do something Latin/ Central American but I fear they may get snapped up fairly quick

Do what I've done. Pick a country you've never modelled and a type you've never built! Just so long as it's totally off your radar.

Mongolian Il-2 or UN UH-1? (I have the Esci 1/48 transfers for the latter if you're interested!)

Trevor

Do what I've done. Pick a country you've never modelled and a type you've never built! Just so long as it's totally off your radar.

Mongolian Il-2 or UN UH-1? (I have the Esci 1/48 transfers for the latter if you're interested!)

Trevor

Decals aren't the issue, I do like to build the odd small air force subject..... Hard part is deciding which country to jump in on

I know we are restricting modellers to one entry per country,but can we enter more than one country?

A quick look in my decal stash reveals decals for:

Haiti

Nicaragua

Uruguay

Burma

Thailand

I have lots more but if I can reserve any/all the above then I'm golden :)

• Like 1

It's great to see such interest. Thank you guys.

Sorry I haven't had time to acknowledge each of you in turn, other than by a 'Like'.

I like this idea a lot!

So then..........what is waaaaaay out of my comfort zone? Well it's safe to say I've never done anything from Iran so I'll choose that please.

No Tomcats as that is (with all due respect) the 'go to' aircraft for that country. So...... I'm thinking Phantom (again out of my usual fare) and if I'm allowed Persia I would seriously think of the Tiger Moth or a Hornet Audax.

Trevor

Hi Trevor, are you proposing Iran and Persia? Assuming that they have different markings (excuse my ignorance), this would be fine I think. Certainly either would be good in isolation.

I know we are restricting modellers to one entry per country,but can we enter more than one country?

A quick look in my decal stash reveals decals for:
Haiti
Nicaragua
Uruguay
Burma
Thailand

I have lots more but if I can reserve any/all the above then I'm golden :)

Hi Mungo

No problem in building more than one country - that would be great. I'd just ask that you are not too over-ambitious in what you reserve! I'm trying to update the 'reserved' list in the first post reasonably frequently. Anything that's not yet reserved (other than the Big Five of course), is up for grabs.

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Cliff

Cliff

Iran/Persia have the same roundels red (centre), white and green (outer). I mentioned both because it raises interesting questions about 'rebranding' countries (Burma/Myanmar) and moving borders (Czechoslovakia = Czech Rep & Slovakia and the two Germanies). Also what about NGO's? I mentioned the UN to Mungo as it is a small, albeit intermittent Air Force.

Trevor

[quote name="CliffB" post="1502233" timestamp="138852

Hi Mungo

No problem in building more than one country - that would be great. I'd just ask that you are not too over-ambitious in what you reserve! I'm trying to update the 'reserved' list in the first post reasonably frequently. Anything that's not yet reserved (other than the Big Five of course), is up for grabs.

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Cliff

Well as I said those were just the first sheets I came to in the decal folders.

Plan would be

Haiti F-51D

Nicaguara F-51D

Uruguay F6F Hellcat

Burma Spitfire IX

Thailand Spitfire XIV

But if anyone else wants one of the above,they can bump me. Anyway I'm sure we can all work together to get something on the bench for this GB

• Like 1

Well, this all seems to be coming along OK at moment. Lots of exciting builds being proposed and good geographical spread emerging :)

Cliff

Iran/Persia have the same roundels red (centre), white and green (outer). I mentioned both because it raises interesting questions about 'rebranding' countries (Burma/Myanmar) and moving borders (Czechoslovakia = Czech Rep & Slovakia and the two Germanies). Also what about NGO's? I mentioned the UN to Mungo as it is a small, albeit intermittent Air Force.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor. Suddenly I'm transported back the best part of 50 years to a streaky silver Airfix 'Freedom Fighter' with Iranian markings (they may even have been the only decal option I think?).

The purpose of the 'one country, one build' rule was to encourage diversity in the builds. So I'm thinking if a country has changed its name but not its markings, then only one build. Conversely if the 'new' country adopts noticeably different markings then both would be acceptable - I'm assuming that this would deal with the 'moving borders' issue too. Not too sure about NGOs, but why not?

Well as I said those were just the first sheets I came to in the decal folders.

Plan would be
Haiti F-51D
Nicaguara F-51D
Uruguay F6F Hellcat
Burma Spitfire IX
Thailand Spitfire XIV

But if anyone else wants one of the above,they can bump me. Anyway I'm sure we can all work together to get something on the bench for this GB

That's great Mungo, I'll reserve those for you - some great choices there. Apologies for my previous 'over ambitious' comment - this comes from a man who struggles to complete even one build per GB ;)

Cheers

Cliff

For 2015?

Far away, but I'd like to sign in.

Not as far away as it was yesterday, it's only next year now!

You need to reserve a nation for your subject Antoine....

Wez

Please accept my apologies Henrick I've stolen your country! If you would rather do Denmark I can close my eyes and use the pin method again! The Stoppel site

is excellent and I must admit this proposed GB has opened my eyes to looking at other countries Air Forces.......I think I will be ordering some decals for Chipmunks, Tiger Moths (for the new Airfix offering) and meteors anyway to start before 2015.

It doesn't matter. I can build RDAF whenever I want to. To be quite frankly I think it's great if other than a Dane is doing this subject. :thumbsup:

Flicking through this year's Yearbooks it's noticeable how most military aviation subjects come, not surprisingly, from five main air forces namely: British, US, USSR, German and Japanese. Let's call these the 'BM Big Five' (nothing to do with the size of the air force, just my perception of their popularity as subjects on BritModeller).

Spicing up the Yearbooks though, are a scattering of models featuring slightly more exotic markings from other air forces.

Does anyone else fancy a Small Air Forces GB for 2015? I'm proposing two rules:

Rule 1: To keep things easy, Rule 1 would simply require the subject to be an aircraft or helicopter featuring national markings from any air force other than the 'BM Big Five' (British, US. USSR, German and Japanese). The air forces from former Soviet states etc (in their own national markings of course), would be fine.

Rule 2: To make things more difficult, Rule 2 only allows each air force to be represented once within the GB. First come, first served. You can have multiple entries into the GB, but each must represent an additional air force.

If you want to, reserve your favourite air force(s) now, and if we should be successful next year I'll PM you all at that time to confirm that you still want to deliver. Any drop outs will be thrown back into the ring.

Reservations so far:

Austria: PaulR

Belgium: Erwin

Bolivia: CliffB

Burma: Mungo 1974

Chad: Foxbat

Chile: robvulcan

Denmark: fraxinus

France: Mish

Guatemala: hgbn

Haiti: Mungo 1974

Iran/Persia: Max Headroom

Kenya: Roland Pulfrew

Malaysia: masterqq

Netherlands: Arniec

New Zealand: Silver Fox

Nicaragua: Mungo 1974

Norway: Norwegian Wood

South Africa: Parabat

Spain: Wez

Sweden: Vppelt68

Switzerland: Mozzy19

Taiwan: Radleigh

Thailand: Mungo 1974

Uruguay: Mungo 1974

Zaire: GiorgioN

Signed up so far:

1. CliffB

2. Wez

3. robvulcan

4. masterqq

5. Mish

6. Giorgio N

7. Silver Fox

8. Arniec

9. fraxinus

10. hgbn

11. Radleigh

12. Parabat

13. Norwegian Wood

14. Roland Pulfrew

15. Mozzy19

16. Erwin

17. Vppelt68

18. Max Headroom

19. Foxbat

20. Mungo 1974

21. PaulR

Cheers

Cliff

Hi chaps! I'm in with an Argentinean aircraft! Dibs on Argentina! :)

• Like 1

Cliff

Trevor

The purpose of the 'one country, one build' rule was to encourage diversity in the builds. So I'm thinking if a country has changed its name but not its markings, then only one build. Conversely if the 'new' country adopts noticeably different markings then both would be acceptable - I'm assuming that this would deal with the 'moving borders' issue too. Not too sure about NGOs, but why not?

Cheers

Cliff

I would love to join with an UN aircraft, but it feels like steeling your idea. So Trevor if you want to build a UN one it is yours

Edited by SamH93
  • Like 1