Lesser Built Air Forces GB + CONFIRM BUILDS NOW +

CliffB

Cliff and sartois66.I don't think I'll commit myself to group build at the moment. I may have two work related trips in that time frame (one of them could actually be a good chance to get some building done :-)) I also have several unfinished projects laying around. Don't we all..... Anyway we have an interested modeller at the ready so it's OK for me if sartois66 is interested. By the way, any special subject you have in mind?

• Like 1

Hi,

I believe I rather hastily and whilst caught up in all the excitement, put myself down for three Lesser Built Air Forces. I am pleased that this GB got the vote, and I'm looking forward to seeing some unusual national markings, and hopefully some lesser built aircraft as well.

Confirming I will be in with India, Pakistan and Burkina Faso. Not 100% sure yet what to do for India or Pakistan, but there is no shortage of choice!

Cheers Cliff, and good luck with Hosting the GB.

• Like 1

Cliff and sartois66.I don't think I'll commit myself to group build at the moment. I may have two work related trips in that time frame (one of them could actually be a good chance to get some building done :-)) I also have several unfinished projects laying around. Don't we all..... Anyway we have an interested modeller at the ready so it's OK for me if sartois66 is interested. By the way, any special subject you have in mind?

Hi there , Norwegianwood, I think it would be a great excuse to get my 1/48 Catalina with Vingtor markings on the bench and finished :-) .

Kirk

Edited by sartois66
  • Like 1

As something completely different, I don't know if this will qualify. What about aircraft that technically don't belong to any country but are operated by certain agencies with funny sounding acronyms. I remember riding in a very fetching one off tiger striped aircraft when I was on training missions for a company whose registration I don't recall and we would get lost a lot. Would one of these aircraft qualify?

• Like 2

Like Radleigh I will be moving house (again) in early '15 to a house we have been working on since the end of August. Chuffing plumber was totally unreliable and has held everything up. Any-road-up, he is done and gone so we can finish and move. If this goes on to April I have loads of time to do the Afghan Mi-24 Hind as originally signed up for. Bring it on!

• Like 2

I am still in with a pair of hunters from Abu Dhabi and Singapore.

• Like 1

Confirming my entries.....well kind of..LOL

Burma Spitfire IX or Sea Fury TBC

Haiti T-28D Trojan

Nicaragua P-38 or P-47 or P-51 or A-20G or A-26 TBC

Thailand Spitfire or Bearcat or T-28D

Uruguay F6F Hellcat or TBM Avenger or B-25J or T-28D

• Like 1

Damn! Missed out again! :(

If the mods are happy for me to do Georgia I'll hand over Finland. The GB came earlier than expected and I have a camel in the stash but not an OAW Fokker or any of the AM bits and pieces I would use. If not I'll happily stick with Finland and just cane the credit card.

I really wanted to do a Dutch DH9 but the Netherlands went pretty quickly.

As something completely different, I don't know if this will qualify. What about aircraft that technically don't belong to any country but are operated by certain agencies with funny sounding acronyms. I remember riding in a very fetching one off tiger striped aircraft when I was on training missions for a company whose registration I don't recall and we would get lost a lot. Would one of these aircraft qualify?

It's an interesting idea georgeusa, but I think we should stay with the national forces for this GB. Thanks.

If the mods are happy for me to do Georgia I'll hand over Finland. The GB came earlier than expected and I have a camel in the stash but not an OAW Fokker or any of the AM bits and pieces I would use. If not I'll happily stick with Finland and just cane the credit card.

I really wanted to do a Dutch DH9 but the Netherlands went pretty quickly.

Georgia is fine gcn, I'll swap you over.

TrojanThunder, I've put Finland over to you (see, there is a Santa Claus!). I've shown it as provisional, subject to you confirming please.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

It's an interesting idea georgeusa, but I think we should stay with the national forces for this GB. Thanks.

Cheers

Cliff

Well then, could you please put me down for Biafra and a quite colorful Texan?

• Like 2

Cheers

Cliff

That's okay, it was just an interesting comment. I may still do this over in the Vietnam build! Otherwise, could I please have one Biafran Texan?

• Like 2

Hi georgeusa. Sounds intriguing, how about doing this in the Vietnam GB? Unless of course I am 'getting the wrong end of the stick' on this one?

Edit.

Doh! :doh: Just noticed your post above re the Vietnam GB. Looking forward to that.

Edited by chockhead

Well, if I might help George a lil' bit...

There are companies like the former Civil Air Transport/Continental Air Transport: pilots were mostly ex-AVG, planes (C-46s, C-47s, L-5s etc.) mostly ex-USAAF, but the company was registered in China (in 1946) and considered as Chinese although run by US-nationals.

Its first business was distribution of relief goods for the UN. Then it got into local air transportation business. When Chinese Communists began their final campaigns of advance, it began transporting supplies to cut-off Nationalist enclaves, and eventually ended transporting Nationalist troops, arms etc. too. And it had a para-military branch too, which was closely cooperating with the CIA and flying black-overall, slightly modified B-17s.

In 1950, the CAT withdrew with Nationalists to Formosa (Taiwan), and continued operating as a commercial enterprise. But, it remained tied to the CIA... and that was the same way through most of the French wars in Indochina, and early years of US involvement in Vietnam...

The CAT thus became a sort of a prototype for famous Air America and so many other 'flying' PMCs ever since.

• Like 1