RAF Tucano

stevej60

Hi folks my entry for this group build will be Airfix,s Tucano,an aircraft I have never built before.the kit is very simple but nicely

detailed for the scale.I had just started the cockpit when I read about this GB so held of doing more,there is a lovely white over

red early scheme included which I am very tempted to try.SDC10652_zpsc7bf9e29.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Progress on this one,cockpit and wheel wells done,used the kits decals for the consoles etc,some decals for the sidewalls from spares just to

make it busy and a little "drawn" detail just to break up the plain white.seatbelts added from tape,thanks for looking.SDC10655_zps513d5d06.jpg

• Like 1

Here she is assembled and primed,it was decision time over the finish and I have gambled on trying to do a reasonable job with the early red/white/grey

scheme hence the white primer.only issues that are evident are a touch of filler required front and aft of the cockpit and the fact she will be a tail sitter

and I put no nose weight in!I have a nice little base which should just fit her.SDC10666_zpsb089f472.jpg

• Like 1

This mornings work.masked off the top fuselage that will remain white and applied the grey that will be the finish of the top and bottom wings,next

job will be to mask the red and undercoat it with a spray of tamiya red,then the fun job of glossing all three!SDC10687_zpsc154892c.jpg

Nice. I don't know if they are included on the kit decals, but as you're doing the red, white and grey scheme don't forget to add the two dayglo orange dots above the serial number on each side, just for an added bit of authenticity - they are (were) formation reference markers for lining up the corner of the tailplane. There were 2 as the reference points for each seat are obviously slightly different.

You've given me a bit of inspiration there, Steve. I'm very tempted to do one of these myself as a later entry into the GB, depending on how my Impala goes. I've got a specific aircraft in mind with a bit of a story attached (not this one: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951336-shorts-tucano-pencil-drawing/ but a very different scheme instead) so I'll see how I get on with my other build vs time commitments.

Is the kit scheme for a Church Fenton aircraft? I'm sure I remember seeing the toucan still on a tail at Linton in the mid-90's.

Jon

Edited by Jonners

Nice. I don't know if they are included on the kit decals, but as you're doing the red, white and grey scheme don't forget to add the two dayglo orange dots above the serial number on each side, just for an added bit of authenticity - they are (were) formation reference markers for lining up the corner of the tailplane. There were 2 as the reference points for each seat are obviously slightly different.

You've given me a bit of inspiration there, Steve. I'm very tempted to do one of these myself as a later entry into the GB, depending on how my Impala goes. I've got a specific aircraft in mind with a bit of a story attached (not this one: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951336-shorts-tucano-pencil-drawing/ but a very different scheme instead) so I'll see how I get on with my other build vs time commitments.

Is the kit scheme for a Church Fenton aircraft? I'm sure I remember seeing the toucan still on a tail at Linton in the mid-90's.

Jon

Thanks for the info Jon,yes it is a Church Fenton aircraft.I had never seen this kit before last month and was surprised how nice it is,recessed panel

lines etc I just hope all goes well with the glossing.

Looking forward to seeing the paint scheme finished Steve - should be smart.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff,me too just hope it goes OK as I would love to do the Thunderbirds twin seat F16 which was accepted for this group build but me and gloss

paint don,t get on!

Here,s where we are today.all under coated ready for the gloss,going to thin Humbrol enamel as I am a brush painter,and only use spray for the

undercoat or base coat of my models.thanks.SDC10694_zpsea209227.jpg

• Like 2

Well glossed the red areas and so far so good then disaster the very very flimsy U/C lege both snapped when I tried to fit them.Plan B is to

close up the bays and use a stand.

Sorry folks this one,s a "gonna" as in the bin! as I suspected the gloss paint got the better of me it all went wrong,but as Arnie likes to say

"I,ll be back,no way with the Thunderbirds F16D I would rather gloss the skirting boards than face that! I have a couple of hawks,a gnat and

a couple of vampires but I might look for something a bit different.

Really sorry to hear the fate of your Tucano, Steve :weep:

But then again, if God had intended us to use gloss paints he wouldn't have given us Klear :winkgrin:

Looking forward to seeing your next selection

Cliff

• Like 1