All The spitfire questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

I have my own "stupid" question...that has been bugging me for some time....How come Edgar knows so much about Spits and were does he get all his info? Ok so that is 2 questions,

1/ 'Coz he does

2/ Aha !!!!.

:bleh: :bleh: :bleh::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you're a good lad Sean,he might be along later and tell you.

64 Squadron were certainly operating Mk V Spitfires on D Day.

Enjoy.

PeterA

That's an understatement, thanks.

For those who look closely, do note the lack of ragged, uneven invasion stripes, so neatness did happen.

Multi-branch exhausts on a V, as well, which is not often seen (by me, anyway.)

How come Edgar knows so much about Spits and were does he get all his info?

1/. As I told somebody else, it's because I'm nosey, ask a lot of questions, and have considered (since seeing one fly around 1953-ish) the Spitfire to be the best thing that has ever flown.

2/. Museums, archives, ex-pilots, ex-groundcrew, and others who share with me the same obsession.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Speaking of D-Day Spitfire V, my favourites have Always been those of 277 Sqn, of which there's a well known pictures of BL591 / BA-U with invasion stripes reduced to the lower surfaces only

As this was an ASR unit, these spitfires had yellow codes. The combination of these with the invasion stripes makes for a very colourful subject

The stripes were officially 18" wide on single engine aircraft.

I've just worked this out in 1/32 for the umpteenth time for a current project. I can never remember :)

1/72....6.35mm

1/48....9.53mm

1/32....14.23mm

I expect you'll be rounding them up or down a bit!

Cheers

Steve

Anyone know anything about the port and starboard navigation lights on wartime spits. They were pronounced and visible on Hurricanes. I read somewhere that Spits did not have them. Only the fuselage lights.

You can see them as little bumps on standard Spit wingtips (leading edge, near where the tip meets the wing main panel). Some clipped-wing Spits didn't have them fitted, but they were present (faired in) on "pointy-tip" Spits.

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

You can see them as little bumps on standard Spit wingtips (leading edge, near where the tip meets the wing main panel). Some clipped-wing Spits didn't have them fitted, but they were present (faired in) on "pointy-tip" Spits.

bob

Oh Lord,I gave an answer on "pointy rudders" and you have to go and complicate things by mentioning

"pointy tip" wings !!! :doh: :doh:

It'll go all to cock I tell you,all to cock :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cannot how believe how stupid this thread is and how useful it is. I'm desperately trying to think of a stupid Spitfire question. I also cannot believe how little I really I know about Spitfires. But I'll be back!

I cannot how believe how stupid this thread is and how useful it is. I'm desperately trying to think of a stupid Spitfire question. I also cannot believe how little I really I know about Spitfires. But I'll be back!

Well there has been a lot of not so stupid questions. More a case of very interesting ones. I opened this up with the word "stupid" as a way of getting people to ask questions that they thought were too stupid to ask and its seems to have worked a treat. The clever questions are welcome too> Also hoped we could build a kind of repository. Different people (including) me ask the same question over and over. I did not anticipate that the thread would be so well received

• Like 2

Well there has been a lot of not so stupid questions. More a case of very interesting ones. I opened this up with the word "stupid" as a way of getting people to ask questions that they thought were too stupid to ask and its seems to have worked a treat. The clever questions are welcome too> Also hoped we could build a kind of repository. Different people (including) me ask the same question over and over. I did not anticipate that the thread would not be so well revived.

Sean

I could not agree more with your sentiment! I have yet to see a single "stupid" question on this thread, and not just because some of them are questions I have thought about! Any chance you could start a thread about "stupid" Hurricane/Mosquito/Blenheim/etc questions? Can I also second (third/fourth) the propostion re making this a sticky?

Yours in ignorance but willing to learn :-)

DC

Spitfires would seem to be one of the subjects that the more you know the more you realise that there is so much more to know, so this thread is a great idea, I have an "Edgar" folder in my "My Models" section, but it is nice to have an area on Britmodeller where this information can be concentrated.

Cheers

Dennis

I sent the following PM to Mike (root admin)

"Mike a few are the lads are asking that "All The (stupid) spitfire questions here" be made a sticky. Could you oblige
Thanks
Sean"
For those of you who want this thread a sticky may I suggest you let mike know that there is those of you who would like this done

If it's going to be made into a "sticky," I hope for the sake of efficiency that all the posts about how wonderful this thread is and shouldn't it be made into a "sticky" are deleted. Personally, I think it'd make more sense to distill it (along with many other pre-existing Spitfire threads) into some sort of FAQ, but I don't know if those exist at Britmodeller.