All The spitfire questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

Hi gang,

I began reading this thread for the info relating to the wires on earlier marques of Spitfire.

I'm building the Tamiya 1/48th version and it shows the aeriel wire from the mast to the top of the vertical tail and also the two wires from the tips of the horizontal tail to the mid fuselage.

I've been unable to find any reasonable photos showing the precise location of the holes in the fuselage and also the mounting points for all of the antenna wires.

Can anyone shine a light on how these were installed.

If it's possible to include images of the mounting points I'd very much appreciate the help,cheers.

Right here

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

• Like 1

Right here

:doh:

Funnily enough I looked at that site via the link posted earlier in this thread but only looked at the other page. :rolleyes:

:banghead:

Thanks for that Spitfire. At least I know roughly where the wire enters the fuselage. Now all I have to do is find a pic of the horizontal tail to see what that looked like and the mast top and fin and I'm set.

Appreciate the help, cheers. :thumbsup2:

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 1

I gotta stupid question, when are we going to finally get a decent 1/48 Mk XIV? I can' t properly kick the bucket (it's on my list) until I build a nice SEAC with Ginger Lacey's markings. I keep looking at my DACO fixer upper kit and then at the hideous academy offering and just can't bring myself to put it together. I keep threatening to do this, but my unethical experiment may be looked down upon by modern modeling science, but If I have to build it to make sure we get a decent new tool kit then I will sacrifice for the general welfare of us all. Igor, come to the laboratory at once!

Next stupid question............is there a close enough colour in Humbrol enamel to represent the "plastic" type seat as used

on the Spit? And would this seat have been fitted to a Mk.IX?

T.I.A.....

My 2 pence. Yes. I genrally mix red, yellow and a bit of brown. I cant tell you what ratios as I start with red and the play around until I am happy

spitIXseat.jpg

Next stupid question............is there a close enough colour in Humbrol enamel to represent the "plastic" type seat as used

T.I.A.....

I remember using Humbrol H100 Matt Red Brown on my last Spitfire build, give it a go and see if you like it, the seats I believe could vary quite a bit in colour, and yes the seat would be fine for a Mk IX.

Cheers

Dennis

T.I.A.....

I don't know if Humbrol has it in their line, but I use Tamiya's German armor red-brown color; and I'm pretty sure the same seat was used right up through the Mk 24s and at least some of the Seafire 46/47s.

Cheers.

Many thanks for that image of the attachment point for the IFF wire Edgar. Much appreciated.

Edgar, can you or anyone else describe what colour the wires were please?

I have used a clear fishing line on my model and whilst nice and fine, since it is translucent at present it looks a bit odd. :S

Cheers.

Many thanks for that image of the attachment point for the IFF wire Edgar. Much appreciated.

Edgar, can you or anyone else describe what colour the wires were please?

Multi-strand stainless steel; I've always skipped not-so-lightly away from trying to get the multi-strand bit, and found stretched clear sprue suffices (it's free, too.)

That holds good for small scales; in the larger scales, control-line wire might be acceptable, but straightening it is a nightmare. Of course, if you're building a 1943-onwards IX, there'd be no radio aerial, and the IFF wires were replaced by a bar aerial under the starboard wing, so your problems vanish in a puff of smoke.

As you'll see, below (I hope,) there really isn't a "correct" colour for the seat:-

plasticseat_zpsf931f95e.jpg

01__15_020-452x640_zps08bbd811.jpg

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

May I join the fry with something my enquiring stupid mind needs to know? I'm aware that the designation Spitfire Mk IXB was an informal moniker bestowed to those Niners with a Merlin 66 engine, as opposed to those with earlier Merlins which were called Mk IXA by default. My question is, was there any Mark Nine actually with a "B" type wing? (If not, the Modelers Datafile made (yet another) booboo when describing the several variants of the Merlin-engined Spit.)

No IX was built with a B wing, neither were any Vb converted to a IX, while retaining the old-style wing.

The item that seems to have been the major reason for this confusion is a modification, introduced into Spitfire production, when the Air Ministry (albeit fleetingly) settled on 2 x 20mm + 4 x .303" Brownings as the standard armament. As part of this mod, the outer part of the "cannon front mounting casting" was cut off, and plated over, giving, at first glance due to the single housing sticking out of the leading edge, the impression of "B" armament.

When the "E" armament became a viable proposition, the outer housing was no longer redundant, so the mod was swiftly cancelled in November 1943.

How many wings were modified is impossible to say, but the mod lasted for around a year.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

'the Modelers Datafile made (yet another) booboo when describing the several variants of the Merlin-engined Spit'

It should be noted that the above is just one of a multitude of errors with that Datafile.

While some photos may be useful, treat all of the text, drawings and captions with a lot of suspicion as there are many, many problems.......

Steve

I have a stupid Spitfire question...

can i legitimately paint a MkV spitfire with invasion stripes? Were there any squadrons still using the V to be painted with them?

thanks guys

steve

There were a few in service. IIRC there was one FAA squadron operating them on D-Day (Vb's of 808 SQN), as well as some RAF units with LF. Vc's with the Merlin 50

Squadrons flying the Spit Vb from June '44 (probably none exclusively on Vc by this time, though there were a few scattered among the squadrons):

118 Sqn at Skaebrae, passed their Vs to 313 in July, who in turn passed them to 611 in October, by which time some IXs were also on hand.

303 Sqn, had a few Vcs with Vbs, went to Mk.IX in July

63 Sqn had a few Vcs with Vbs, until disbanding in Jan '45!

130 Sqn (formerly 186, renumbered in April) a fair number of Vc, though I think they had bs also. To XIV in late August.

64 Sqn briefly (a mix of b/c) but to IX in late June.

504 Sqn, handed to 310 in July, who switch to IXs in early Sept.

350, 402, 611 Sqns, to IX mid July.

501 Sqn- not sure about this one- they'd had a mix of Vs and IXs, and I have some indications that they got rid of the IXs, but also some indications that they were ON IXs- can anyone clear this up? At any rate, to Tempest in August.

234 Sqn to Mustang (III, I presume) in early October

26 Sqn (who, if I remember right, were part of the Air Spotting Pool along with 63 Sqn mentioned above): back to Allison Mustang in December.

345 Sqn (a few cs, otherwise LF.Vb) to IX in September.

Note: some of these squadrons were in "backwaters" in ADGB, so perhaps did not carry invasion stripes, but some certainly were in active areas. At least one of the "cannon Mk.Is" that became the first Vbs was shot down in Normandy! (also note I comment on cs in places where I'd noted them, so not to be taken as hard and fast "if I didn't mention they didn't have any")

bob

64 Squadron were certainly operating Mk V Spitfires on D Day.

I was delighted to get my Christmas Card from Sqn/Ldr Tony Cooper last year.

Mid nineties and still going strong. He was a flight commander with 64 Squadron at that time.

Here is SH-L which is thought to be EP601.

5-EP601SH-LimageTonyCooperPeterArnoldCol

Image Tony Cooper.

I believe this is Tony's personal machine SH-B.

5-SH-BimageTonyCooperPeterArnoldCollecti

Image Tony Cooper.

...and how cool is this? A shot of the invasion fleet on the day from the Mk V Spitfire.

5-64SqnDDayimageTonyCooperPeterArnoldCol

Image Tony Cooper.

Enjoy.

PeterA

• Like 1

Well I must say that I am glad everyone is enjoying asking the questions they have always wanted too (...the stupid one) :banghead: Seriously, I am thoroughly enjoying the fact that people are using this topic and I don't know about anyone else, but I am learning a few things about spits that I never new or even thought to ask.

I have my own "stupid" question...that has been bugging me for some time....How come Edgar knows so much about Spits and were does he get all his info? Ok so that is 2 questions,

• Like 1