All The spitfire questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

That's ok for wing/armament type until the introduction of the e, so any of the books giving a full mark/serial listing will do that. Spitfire The History is the obvious. The wing tips are another matter. Yes for the high altitude tips on the Mk.VI and VII, but early VIIIs also had them and they were removable. They were removed on some Mk.VIIs and VIIIs. Mk.XIIs were clipped but in all other cases it was a choice made at the time and could be changed in service. I don't think there were many, if any, late Mk.XVIs with other than clipped, but there's no definition of "late".

Given your level of interest, I don't think that you can do without Spitfire The History.

Edited by Graham Boak

I was graciously given a copy of an image of Malan standing by ZP-A. A lot of referances depict the letter as a big ZA small A on the starboard side and the reverse on the port side. Looking at the panel lines in this photo the height seems uniform I have put the link in here to the file on my server rather than imbed it - its 1.2MB in zize

SailorMalanZPA.jpg

would anyone like to comment on what size they think the letters are/and should be?

Thanks

Sean

Likeliest is 20", allowing for perspective distortion. Due to the slim fuselage, Spitfire Squadrons had a special dispensation to use smaller letters than originally ordered by the Air Ministry.

With the hood open, there was not enough space, between the bottom line of the hood and the top line of the wingroot fairing, to fit the decreed 24" letters, so they were allowed to use 20".

Edited by Edgar

I was graciously given a copy of an image of Malan standing by ZP-A. A lot of referances depict the letter as a big ZA small A on the starboard side and the reverse on the port side. Looking at the panel lines in this photo the height seems uniform I have put the link in here to the file on my server rather than imbed it - its 1.2MB in zize

SailorMalanZPA.jpg

would anyone like to comment on what size they think the letters are/and should be?

Thanks

Sean

Off the back of that photo, how common was it to have the mirror on the inside of the windscreen? Was it a pilot option or were they just stuck with what they got?

Off the back of that photo, how common was it to have the mirror on the inside of the windscreen? Was it a pilot option or were they just stuck with what they got?

I believe that it was common for Hornchurch Spitfires to have mirrors mounted internally

Having just seen Edgar's diagram in post 864, am I right in assuming that the emergency undercarriage lowering system was fitted to all marks including early Mk1s? I am at the pre-pre-planning stage for my BoB group build Spitfire and would like to get it right.

TIA

John

24 inch A, 30 inch P

A man's elbow to finger tip is about 18 inches

Why would they have gone bigger if 24inch was the standard? I can understand the need to go 24inch and then use a 20inch. Not disputing your calcs. In fact the decal sheet support you.

Having had another look zoomed in I think the Z is the same size as the a as it touches the panel lines. I am guessing 30" P 24"Z and A on the starboard side.

This is based on the photo

24" ZP on the Port side Just fit. The A places about the same are as the P so my best guess would be 30" A

Why would they have gone bigger if 24inch was the standard? I can understand the need to go 24inch and then use a 20inch. Not disputing your calcs. In fact the decal sheet support you.

24 inch was a later specification, the initial specification was for 48 inch letters [ 4 ft, or about 120 cm] which didn't fit on fighters sides, but is the reason that 32 sq Hurricanes had those 40 inch high codes, and part of the reason codes varied so much..

Hmm, OK, dug out the 'British Aviation colours of WW2' book.

1939 orders state, Code letters to be painted 48 inch high with 6 inch strokes, Smaller letters are to be used when the space on the fuselage makes such a course unavoidable.

Cue chaos....

HTH

T

On the starboard cockpit wall of MH434, just behind the bracket for the spare gunsight bulbs is something which looks like the landing light control fitted to early Spitfires. Can anyone tell me what it is please.

IXMerlinvar_zps87169ed3.jpg

Edited by Edgar

Thanks for the photo Edgar, the device I was looking at is just out of shot, the other side of the bracket next to the signal switchbox. I have now identified it as the fuel hand pump. Was this always in the same position because I havn't seen it in many pictures of Mk IXs?

Thanks again

John

Maybe, then, it's the wobble pump (it's real name, honestly,) which was only fitted to IXs with the Merlin 66 or 70 (and not all of them, according to the A.P.)

I've changed the photo to an illustration, which might give the answer.

PART I—DESCRIPTIVE
and the pressurising control (50) is below the right-hand side of
the instrument panel. The cock control (58) and jettison lever
(59) for the auxiliary drop tank are mounted together on the
right-hand side of the cockpit, below the undercarriage control
unit. The jettison lever is pulled up to jettison the drop tank, but
cannot be operated until the cock control is moved forward to
the OFF position. The cock forthe rear fuselage tanks (when
fitted) is to the left of the seat.
Fuel pumps
.—On Bendix-Stromberg carburettor installations
an electric booster pump, operated by a switch on the left-hand
side of the cockpit, is fitted in the lower main tank. On early
aircraft this pump is not fitted, but a hand wobble pump is
provided instead, just forward of the remote contactor.
NOTE
.—On aircraft which have rear fuselage tanks a second
pump is fitted (in the lower rear tank) and the control
switch described above then has three positions.

Edited by Mark12
  • Like 1

A nice and easy question regarding Spitfire paintwork. For both an HFVII and a PRXI finished with PRU blue undersides, what colour are the undercarriage bays and inside of the gear doors. I would say PRU blue, as in 'the same as the rest of the underside' but I'm not sure.

Many thanks

Simon