All The spitfire questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

Supermarine had their own intake fairing, so shouldn't have needed Aboukir's involvement, in fact, when Eisenhower requested the IX, for the Torch landings, he was told he couldn't have them due to the lack of a tropical filter.

Eventually the IX had a standard intake, for tropical and temperate aircraft, but not until mid-1944, according to the company (the RAF date it as November 1943, so maybe they "persuaded" VIII intakes to fit the IX.)

36138SHT5HAirIntakeContoursMkIX_zpsea3f9

• Like 1

I suspect that my question regarding the Freightdog Aboukir Filter set (for Airfix kits) may have got lost in the mists of the Aboukir Filter debate above so please forgive me for repeating it here

"Might the Freightdog Aboukir filter conversion set be compatible with the Eduard Mk IX kits ?"

May I also ask if there were any Mk IXes other than the HF IXes and LF IXes. If not, could there be any reason for classifying any HFs and/or LFs as either "early" or "late".

EDGAR - Many thanks for your Reply #852 above - makes me a happier man.

John

It might be my imagination but it seems that there is a dearth of 1/48 scale decals for RAF Spitfire Mk IXs - HFs and LFs. Could this be because not very many were published in the first place or have they all be used up - or, possibly, a combination of the two causes ?

EDIT : I am greatful for the help I have already received on this subject but I had hoped for more options :weep:

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

John

Edited by Sky Pilot

Magpie22

With reference to the photos of MA466. BQ-S and MH324. BQ-E in Reply #843 above may I ask if you modelled either or both in 1/48 scale. If so, may I ask how did you model the Aboukir filter. Also,assuming that you had to assemble the serials and squadron codes yourself, may I ask if you could provide details of their sizes etc. and also the roundels etc. Finally, could you possibly provide details of the sources for this artwork.

TIA

John

Hi John

try uing the multiquote function to save thread clutter

It might be my imagination but it seems that there is a dearth of 1/48 scale decals for RAF Spitfire Mk IXs - HFs and LFs. Could this be because not very many were published in the first place or have they all be used up - or, possibly, a combination of the two causes ?

EDIT : I am greatful for the help I have already received on this subject but I had hoped for more options :weep:

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

John

You seem a bit hung up on the HF and LF definitions, and as or schemes, the nature of modellers is for interesting and unusual schemes, and the vast majority of Spitfire IX's tend to be, well, uniform and a bit dull, and so are not that exciting.

I pointed out the Canadian decals in this or another thread.

I'd really suggest picking out subject that you wish to model and then see about making up a scheme.

Xtradecal do a sheet of RAF Sky codes - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48023

there are sheets of 8 inch serails too. The sky codes may not exactly match the shape/style of the plane you wish to model, but after that you are into making up masks for the codes.

Magpie22

With reference to the photos of MA466. BQ-S and MH324. BQ-E in Reply #843 above may I ask if you modelled either or both in 1/48 scale. If so, may I ask how did you model the Aboukir filter. Also,assuming that you had to assemble the serials and squadron codes yourself, may I ask if you could provide details of their sizes etc. and also the roundels etc. Finally, could you possibly provide details of the sources for this artwork.

TIA

John

an Aboukir filter was included in a the Airfix Seafire III/Spitfire VC rebox of the OLD VB kit.

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/spitfirevcreviewrb_1.htm

spitfirevcreviewbg_4.jpg

Bottom right, though this is for a V, not a IX, I may even have a spare one...

The kit came with 4 options, and so these bits are in spares boxes across the land. Try asking in the 'Wanted' section when you get 100 posts.

It is a fairly simple shape, and could be fabricated from thick plastic card with the edges rounded off.

BQ-S was an option on at least one decal sheet.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CA48082

Carpena are not always great on colours though. caveat emptor.

there are 61 results for Spitfire IX decals on Hannants

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=all_decals&code=&scale_id=955&keyword_search=spitfire+ix&setPerPage=100&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

And you can always here ask if Spiftire IX "XX*** ££-$" has been done on a sheet

I'll edit in some link in a mo

• Like 1

That is very interesting Joe, thanks for the info!

I am wanting to do an early Spitfire so will need to incorporate this. It looks like it is attached to the rear section of the canopy with two bolts (?). I presume this would be plumbed to the pump?

PR

Hi Peter.

I do not have any dimensional or installation information of the hydraulic system reservoir tank installed at this location. The tank is approximately three to four times the height of what you can see exposed in the rear glazing of the previously posted picture and appears to be attached to the fuselage stringers via two vertical brackets with four bolts. Two of the bolts can be seen at the top of the tank with two bolts of the same style securing the bottom of the tank. There will be at least one pipe connecting the tank to the pump and possibly an over flow pipe or vent pipe there some where as well.

Cheers

Joe

BQ + S:

Rising Decals RD 48-013 Mediterranean Spitfires

Mk.IX, MA466, BQ&S, 451 Sqdn (RAAF), Poretta, Cordica, Spring &

Summer 1944

and

Red Roo RRD4849 451 Squadron RAAF The Away Team Part 3

Edited by NPL
  • Like 1

Joe

Many thanks for revisiting this, and the additional information. I thought my question may have been passed over so appreciate your follow up post and details.

It looks like the first few Sptfire Mk Is were quite different to the later versions in several details, and just when I thought I had it reasonably nailed, ...... :)

PR

Joe

Many thanks for revisiting this, and the additional information. I thought my question may have been passed over so appreciate your follow up post and details.

It looks like the first few Sptfire Mk Is were quite different to the later versions in several details, and just when I thought I had it reasonably nailed, ...... :)

PR

Hi Peter

No problem. I would liked to of been more help but I do not have access to a drawing of this particular tank or its installation.

Joe

It doesn't appear in the first (1938) edition of the A.P; there's an illustration of the mechanism, with a pipe heading off to the "reservoir," but that's all.

Cancel that; found this in an amendment:-

PICT0091_zps26e09edf.jpg

Edited by Edgar

Might be worth doing a google search for this kit, you'll be bound to pick up build threads from various fora, maybe even here on Britmodeller, which should give you some good real world guidance toward making it up.

Steve.

I am about to start a build of the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk Vb and would appreciate any hints and tips offered.

John

HI John

I presume you mean the newkit?

this covers potential pitfalls and has a lot of information as well.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-update-310115-decals/

pre assembling, drilling and adding provision to pin the UC legs seems to be a good idea as well. This is discussed, if not done in the linked thread. That and being very careful to clean up sprue attachment points which can affect fit are the main problems.

Oh, and the De Havilland spinner in the kit is wrong, the Rotol one is fine.

Magpie22

TIA

John

John,

My apologies for not answering sooner, but I have been away for a few days.

I am afraid that my answer will not be much help. I did model MH324 but it was some 15-20 years ago. Back then there was no decent Mk.IX kit and my model was converted from the Airfix Spit VB with bits from the Otaki Spit VIII and some scratch building. The Aboukir filter I made by making the duct section from plasticard and then bogging it up to get the external shape. Decals were from generic sheets for serials and roundels. I made the aircraft code letters by drawing the outlines on clear film, reversing it and photocopying it on to the back of a decal sheet painted in the colour of the codes. Each was then cut out individually with a very sharp knife. measuring the model, I see I made the fuselage roundel 36" dia and the codes 21" high by 14" wide.

As pointed out by Troy and others there are now decal sheets for those No. 451 Squadron machines and that is probably the way to go. Not sure about that Aboukir filter in the new Airfix Spit. Based on Troy's photo, it does look a bit too square to me.

Magpie22

TROY

Many thanks for your worthwhile and productive reply. Yes, I did mean the new Mk V kit.

MAGPIE22

Thanks to you also and I forgive you for having a few days off :winkgrin: I admire your dedication to the task.

And now - A QUESTION

Were all of the Spitfire Mk Vs equipped to carry under-belly slipper tanks or just the Tropicalised versions - more to the point, were all of the Tropicalised versions so equipped. And yet further, were any other capable of carrying slipper tanks. I assume that slipper tanks were not the same as long range tanks, where fitted.

John

The slipper tank carriage was required as part of the tropicalization package, BUT some temperate Spit Vs began to have provision for slipper tanks at pretty much the same time. Initially 30 gal tanks were specified for temperate (home use) and 30 and 90 for trops. This was winter '41/42, at the same time that Supermarine was switching from Vb to Vc. What I don't know is whether there was any large-scale retro-fitting to give earlier Vs the ability to carry the tanks- initially, at least, only certain (home) squadrons were equipped with 'long range' Spitfires.

Slipper tanks were long-range tanks, but not all long-range tanks are slipper tanks. I'm not sure I quite understood that last part of your question.

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

short question - looking for a quick answer. Ml wheel wells. doe the silver extend to the inner wall? or is that sky or is the whole of the wheel bay silver until it meets the wing. Restored spits as we know are not an accurate reference point. Thanks

Were all Spitfire Vs capable of carrying slipper tanks or was this capability restricted to Vbs and Vcs. Could somebody please tell me what was the capacity of the slipper tank provided in the "new" Airfix 1/48 Vb kit ? Could this tank be carried if an Aboukir filter was fitted ? Did the different sized combat tanks have standard shapes and fittings. I am currently limiting my interests to the Mk Vs.

Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

John

short question - looking for a quick answer. Ml wheel wells. doe the silver extend to the inner wall? or is that sky or is the whole of the wheel bay silver until it meets the wing. Restored spits as we know are not an accurate reference point. Thanks

"Roof" and walls were silver.

from

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974004-question-for-wwii-aircraft-manufacturing-experts/

It rather needs a little lateral thinking, since Supermarine drawings advocated interior areas (except the cockpit and engine bearers) should be silver, but it's a rather moot point if you consider the wheel wells to be interior areas, or not. Oleo legs and door interiors started off silver, but anything could (and did) happen in the first two years of war.

Given that the Defiant, Hurricane and Typhoon wells were all silver, I tend to go with the idea that the Spitfire would have been the same (cue photo of Spitfire with black & white wells,) but the block and noose are now obsolete, so it's really your choice.

difficult to find photos showing the underside and wheel well, and they are B/W.

spit1-12.jpg

spitfire.jpg

Spitfire1602a.jpg

freeborn3_1715764c.jpg

There is a pres vist to 602 sq at Drem in winter 39/40, with a series of clear pics

this is interesting and I've seen more shots from this series bigger, note the leg portion has a light edge, so is catching the light, but the wheel part is dark,

RAF-Drem-004.jpg

Other black winged Spitfires show blacklegs/wheel hubs

RAF-Drem-002.jpg

A-2.jpg

Seafire, but in colour,

2527522690_8dd6b585b4.jpg

I got no comments when I posted this lot up in the linked thread.