All The spitfire questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

Following on from this thread I have a few observations regarding the wing trailing edge.

It appears from the photo that the flap trailing edge when raised fits into a shallow rebate, ie, it doesn't quite finish level with the top surface trailing edge.

FLAP-1001_zpsc44f8a1b.jpg

This means that if you decided to drop the flap then you would also need to add a narrow bead of plastic to the upper wing trailing edge to show there is a rebate, and this would need to be painted the undersurface colour, not the internal flap colour. The photo shows this.

( It could be useful if someone knows the actual width of the strip so it could be scaled accurately.)

I know the new Airfix MK.Vb does not show this feature. Both upper and lower wing trailing edges finish the same and there is no engraving on the lower wing to show there should be a rebate. Don't know about Revell's new kit, although I see that Tamiya has it marked on the underside.

Not many, if any, drawings show this either.

Just thought I'd mention it.

deecee

• Like 1

Forget to include this photo in my last post:

Flaps-2_zps6a3c5f82.jpg

Isn't this a poor fit for the inner flap!! It seems to be much too small.

Surely this is not correct, is it?

deecee

I'm not sure.It seems to match the Airfix 1/48th Vc,I,IX andXVI offering rather nicely :tease:

They've done a bit since then however :clap2::goodjob:

Well, I've looked but not found (at least for the starboard side where I've confused myself) so here's my stupid question.

Exactly what lumps, bumps, scoops and bulges should be present on the cowling of an early Mk 1 Spitfire ?

Cheers and TIA

Steve

There are two teardrop shaped "bumps" on each side just above the rear edges of the rear exhaust stubs, a small one and a larger one above it. They are not laterally symmetrical, the starboard ones being further aft than those on the port side. Above the larger bump on the starboard side is a small intake. If you look at photos of the cowling, you will see what I mean.

My (stupid) question:

During the Battle of Britain period some Spitfire Mk I's were fitted with an internal rear-view mirror in lieu of an external one - Eric Lock and Alan Deere both flew machines with internal rear-view mirrors. I believe some of these internal mirror arrangements incorporated a device designed to improve over-the-nose sighting. Is this true and, if so, does anyone have any close-up or detailed pictures of these devices?

Not that stupid; Supermarine didn't fit mirrors until September 1940, so pilots are known to have "borrowed" some from local car showrooms, and fitted their own. Some of these could have been inside the top of the windshield, especially with external armour.

In early 1942 a periscope device was tested by the A.F.D.U. at Duxford; this did comprise an internal mirror (plus the more normal exterior type, and was used on K9380. The report said that it wasn't worth the effort, and it was never taken into service.

I was thinking it would be good if Sean edited the '(stupid)' from the thread titles on this and the Hurricane threads as personally I find them both interesting and enlightening.

While I appreciate the self deprecating sentiment, IMHO the vast majority of the questions are far from stupid. :)

When I opened the topic "stupid", was a little tongue in cheek. I was hoping to prompt people to ask, in one place, question that most of us wanted answers to. Motivation - a benefit to all. I must say I never expected the topic to have done so well

Welcome back Edgar. Mk I signal light is seen as red on the hanging example in the link troy told me to bookmark. Was it always red or could it have been clear with silver insides. The light directly under the fuselage

It was normally referred to as "amber," and some later Marks had extra red and green lights in the undersides of the wings, outside the guns, so it's possible that the museum example has had an "any old spare" replacement. It was always coloured, and the light on the spine, on early Marks, was white.

Is there a reasonably priced book on the Spitfire that I might buy? I appreciate the willingness of forum members to help but I really should get my own library under way?

It's a slippery slope. The inexpensive references left me wanting. The expensive ones are very informative. None are perfect but with enough and the help of others who have done some independent research one can put together some very accurate details.

Tim

Is there a reasonably priced book on the Spitfire that I might buy? I appreciate the willingness of forum members to help but I really should get my own library under way?

what do you require? For a camo guide, get a pdf of the old Ducimus monograph, it only covers NW Europe, and old, but is still an excellent guide. PM me if can't find it. Try bookfi.org though.

For a breakdown of variants and development history, Alfred Price 'The Spitfire Story' is great. Lots of photos and information.

there are various versions, here's a cheap paperback one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Spitfire-Story-Alfred-Price/dp/1854091727

only disadvantage is no Seafire.

Spitfire the History by Morgan and Shacklady is more detailed, but less user friendly and costs a lot more.... Still worth getting, and apparently the 1st edition has better reproductions of drawings, and can be got a lot cheaper than 2nd edition

A copy here for £20 and post is bargain. It's a 600 page monster.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0946219109

Though I'd say get The Spitfire Story first.

For a treat, get this Spitfire: A Complete Fighting History

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spitfire-Complete-Fighting-Alfred-Price/dp/1856480151

it's a reprint of Spitfire at War volumes 1 and 2, consists of short reminiscences by various pilots etc and photos, lots and lots of photos, reproduced large, and packed with detail.

For 1p and £2.80 post it is a ridiculous bargain, and if you like Spitfires you will never get tired of it, and it's possible to spot some new detail on every browse. 304 pages, so maybe 400 photos. If you don't like Amazon look on Abebooks, as copies can be got as cheap there.

Spitfire at War 3 is also very good.

the SAM Datafiles are good, and have a lot of detailed information for modellers, varinat breakdown and detailed walkrounds, but the drawings are inaccurate and the model info is dated.

Other's will know more.

HTH

T

• Like 2

Working on the AZ spitfire Mk IX, and had intended a closed canopy. The one with the kit is poor, and none of the vacuform examples I have were a good match. I've managed to match up the fixed portions acceptably, but none of the moving portions are a good fit with the rear section, fuselage and windscreen all together. I can cheat, take the best looking one and pose it open. How likely is it for a Spitfire to be on the ground, no one in the cockpit, sliding portion open, but the pilot's door up? Or should I just get out the razor saw and have at? And is Eduard going to release the Mk IX in 1/72 scale soon?

TIA!