Luftwaffe airfield equipment.(more added 25/1/15)

First of all, I know these aren't aircraft and probably shouldn't technically be in this section, that said they were used on airfields to service aircraft.

I've got a WIP thread of sorts here, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234947846-luftwaffe-starter-unit-and-other-airfield-equipment/

This is a resin kit by CMK of a Sd. Anh. 473 caravan which was used by the Luftwaffe for various tasks, the kit is sold as an "airfield control caravan" so fits into my theme nicely. The model was sprayed with Dunkelgelb first and then the green camouflage brushed on to represent a field applied one, the whole thing was then weathered with oils and various pigments. When I can be bothered I'll add some stuff to the roof rack as it looks a little bare and wanting. Looking at the pics it seems like I forgot to weather it as much as the rest of the van!

DSC_0029_zpsuhn3f9vl.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsgdi8jost.jpg

DSC_0026_zpso7qqn1g0.jpg

DSC_0031_zpsau7qmhfw.jpg

DSC_0030_zpspyq3hgjd.jpg

These 2 models are both out of the same set from Verlinden and are both a mix of resin and p/e.

First up is the starter unit,

DSC_0334_zps7d5f475a.jpg

DSC_0339_zps82e25f3f.jpg

DSC_0341_zps9a3bafd7.jpg

The Oil Cart.

DSC_0309_zps87f0460c.jpg

DSC_0308_zpsc3faf3db.jpg

DSC_0305_zpse4449acc.jpg

DSC_0298_zps882eff97.jpg

The hoses were made from lead wire and the oil is a mixture of AK "engine oil" W&N "raw umber" and Mig Productions "shadow brown" oils built up over a few days, in fact it took a few goes before I felt it looked half convincing, the beauty of using oils etc is that if things don't look right you can just wipe them off and start again. The chains that I used are from Hauler.

Lastly for now is a compressor. This is from CMK and again resin, I added the handles for the panels and the retaining pins for the jacks from wire and again used the Hauler p/e chains.

DSC_0311_zpsd7002dd6.jpg

DSC_0315_zps0bfccd90.jpg

For anyone that is interested, the exhaust was first painted using a sponge with various rust colours, I used a sponge to get some texture, this then received a coat of AK "worn effects" and after the compressor had been sprayed chipped. I'm not entirely happy with the pigments on the tyres as they look far to light so may have to go over those again.

Its my intention to eventually make up some sort of base to display these and others along side aircraft.

I'll be adding other stuff to this thread as I finish them so if you're interested stay tuned!

As usual all comments are welcome,

cheers, Tim.

Edited by tank152
  • Like 15

Thanks to all that have looked in and left great comments, they're much appreciated.

Stevej60 that is a mission I'm going to accept, that oil cart will be displayed along side a leaky old Spitfire I'm hoping to finish soon!

Tim.

Great to see you back on here Tim and stunning work as usual - looking forwards to seeing them together with that spitfire, hint hint :whip:

Relented and got father Christmas to get me the mkIX early boxing, its a cracking kit so think that's going be next on the list when I get my mossie and academy mk XIV finished off :)

Cheers, Stu

• Like 1

Hi Stu, thanks for taking a look in and your comment.

Funny you should mention the Spit as I picked it up again yesterday with the aim of spraying the exhaust staining on and trying to get it finished today. Trouble is I looked at it and thought it looked like it could do with a bit more oil, as in fading, treatment so got to wait for those to dry out again.

Did you ever get a canopy sorted for that Mossie?

• Like 1

Those are superb! The oil on the cart looks superbly convincing - exactly like the drip trays underneath our Mini !! And the weathering on them all is excellent.

Do you think that maybe the spare wheel on the compressor would look better clean, without any pigments, as if it was unused? I'm wondering if it would give a nice contrast?

Great work though, I really like them all, but especially that oil cart !! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Really like these models.....Nice to see them being built and painted so beautifully as models in their own right, rather than an appendix to an aircraft build. :coolio:

I've really enjoyed myself with these, probably more so than doing aircraft. Its a shame that there aren't more kits available so I can do more. I've got a couple of Opel Blitzs to do though, one as a standard fuel tanker and one as a T-Stoff one.

Thanks again for your comments.

Those are superb! The oil on the cart looks superbly convincing - exactly like the drip trays underneath our Mini !! And the weathering on them all is excellent.

Do you think that maybe the spare wheel on the compressor would look better clean, without any pigments, as if it was unused? I'm wondering if it would give a nice contrast?

Great work though, I really like them all, but especially that oil cart !! :thumbsup:

Thats a very good point about the spare wheel, I think your correct so I'll be removing them. I was never really happy with how they looked anyway. Pigments are something I really need to get to grasps with, at the moment I seem to struggle with their application for some reason.

That oil cart took me ages to get looking as it is now, my first attempt ended in disaster resulting in me having to remove everything.

Thanks for your comments and for your input, both appreciated.

Tim.

Hi Stu, thanks for taking a look in and your comment.

Funny you should mention the Spit as I picked it up again yesterday with the aim of spraying the exhaust staining on and trying to get it finished today. Trouble is I looked at it and thought it looked like it could do with a bit more oil, as in fading, treatment so got to wait for those to dry out again.

Did you ever get a canopy sorted for that Mossie?

Hi Tim, happy new year!!

Will be looking forwards to seeing how you tackled the oil staining, hopefully with a few pointers as I struggle to get subtle realistic results :)

Yes, eventually managed to vac form a replacement canopy for the mossie, wont go through it all here but got a thread on the KUTA IV GB if you want to take a look? She is all painted and glossed now waiting to start decals tonight hopefully :)

Have you considered the Special Armour 1/72 V-2 Launch site range at all? Not cheap, but they look to be well done:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940202-a4v2-prototypes-172-special-armour/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940774-ss-100-gigant-heavy-tractor-172-special-armour/

http://henk.fox3000.com/SpecialArmour.htm

Bit smaller than your current projects, but that just means you can build more stuff! :winkgrin:

I like them, something different from the norm. :clap:

Thanks Mish, I'm on a mission now to try and build as many things like this as I can find, my space is limited to stuff like this is ideal.

Beautiful work Tim

Cheers James, thanks for taking a look in.

Bloomin' heck (or words similar :) ) those are incredible. The steel wheels and the rusty tow bar on the starter keep drawing my eye but that is a finish to die for on them all. I'm going to have to check out the WIP now to see how it's done.

Duncan B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...