Fonderie Miniature 1/48th Dassault Super Mystere B2, Le Petit Sabre Francais FINISHED!

Nice work so far Jonners.

I have been asking (myself) the same question about the SEA colours for quite some time now. The Belgian Air Force SEA colours also present different shades from the standard ones. You can also notice this difference on some F-100s and B-57s when looking at Vietnam era photos.

Many thanks for the camo links chaps.

So while I ponder colours, Ive been adding a few details - mainly vents and grills, plus the landing light under the nose and some rescribing of panel lines

P1050430_zpsec49e866.jpg

You can also see in this pic the rear fuselage widening wedge I added - which allows me to add the rear clamshell burner can after painting.

The DEFA cannon access panels have a big grill vent at the rear of each, so some etched grill was cut to shape, a recess to match chiselled into the panel then the etch piece dropped in and fixed with CA. Sounds simple when you say it, but the first one took about an hour and a half to do this morning!!

P1050428_zps0ee9f61f.jpg

Tail has the parachute cable attachment fairing added under the rudder, plus the other fairing above close to fin top ( I cant quite work out if this a light or an avionics fairing with a light on the end). It still needs its rear tip adding.

P1050432_zps76babf6b.jpg

Tailplanes are cleaned up and their variable incidence cover plates are cleaned up thinned and added

P1050436_zpsc0ef5a41.jpg

Main landing gear work also started - new oleos added, the scissor links will be rebuilt from plastic card

P1050435_zps880255b7.jpg

Busy, busy, busy!!!

Jonners

Cockpit front coaming and windscreen work yesterday /today:

First some detail is added to the front - wiring mostly plus some extra bits of plastic card to give a "busy" feel. The windscreen has an internal rim added from plastic strip too.

P1050437_zpsb413053e.jpg

The internal canopy frame is masked, and a symphony of blacks applied

P1050440_zpsfb48cbb8.jpg

Once the gunsight lens is added, windscreen can go on, and I can mask and prime ( later today with luck)

Cheers

Jonners

Now it's a symphony in black!

Nice..no spectacularly nice work on the pit and screen, I've tried to do stuff like the vent work and then b***s it up with cack-handed painting! You make it look like a Tamagawa shake and bake, top notch, as always

Cheers

Strickers

Nice work Jonners, I have always thought the FM kits separate the men from the boys! (That's why I never built one!)

Cheers

John

Not sure about that mate - perhaps the sensible from the insane ! :)

Anyhow.... just in case you are wondering what the scheme will be...

MystereB2_zpsbe81b0b4.jpg

Here's a better view of the cannon bay vent work, plus the weapon of choice for such work: The micro chisel

P1050441_zps36445d4d.jpg

And finally for the day - I did manage to get the Mr Surfacer 1000 on

P1050444_zpsddd685a7.jpg

My old coat hanger wire holder continues to give good service - and is indispensable in these situations for making bespoke hanger/holders when priming.

P1050445_zps360cca39.jpg

I can already see a few areas that need attention, but thats the point of primer coat one.

Cheers

jonners

• Like 1

Good work on this one !

Regarding the paints used, these were not exactly the same of the SEA scheme, although they were close. The darker green too differs as it's a bit darker and browner than the USAF one

I should have a list of the correct colours somewhere, will try to dig the info from the various books and magazines.

Good work on this one !

Regarding the paints used, these were not exactly the same of the SEA scheme, although they were close. The darker green too differs as it's a bit darker and browner than the USAF one

I should have a list of the correct colours somewhere, will try to dig the info from the various books and magazines.

Cheers Giorgio - Im wondering if the USAF colours would be "close enough for Government work", as they say, on this model - especially after I've weathered into them

Jonners

Cheers Giorgio - Im wondering if the USAF colours would be "close enough for Government work", as they say, on this model - especially after I've weathered into them

Jonners

To be 100% honest, that's probably what I would do.... :lol:

Found the info but they are for the F-100 and I'm not sure they had the same scheme... for the darkest colour this is actually listed as a brown ! But again, this was on the F-100.

The darker colour on the SM-B2 looks green to me, although it is indeed a browner green IMHO compared to the USAF colour, maybe a dark olive drab would be a good choice ?

To be 100% honest, that's probably what I would do.... :lol:

Found the info but they are for the F-100 and I'm not sure they had the same scheme... for the darkest colour this is actually listed as a brown ! But again, this was on the F-100.

The darker colour on the SM-B2 looks green to me, although it is indeed a browner green IMHO compared to the USAF colour, maybe a dark olive drab would be a good choice ?

Bizarre Giorgio - I pulled out the Xtracrlix colours and some olive drab too - thinking it would be a good modifier for the darker green!!

I think this is a "looks right" colour job, rather than a match paint to specs thing.

Cheers

Jonners

OK I just noticed that the wing dog teeth slat leading edges should cant down further - so their leading edge is lower than the inner wing. Its quite noticeable - and adds to the Mystere look. Amazing what you don't see when you stare at something for ages isnt it!!

Its out with the CA & talc again, and while Im there I think I'll add the wing lights too....

Jonners

So - the leading edge of the dog tooth is masked underneath with tape - so I get a nice clean filler to plastic delineation, then thick CA/Talc mix is applied on the underside, allowing it to just come forward of the leading edge a tad.

The its carefully sanded to shape - bringing the top edge of the dog tooth down and blending it into the filler below....as the dog tooth heads towards the wing tip the downward angle is blended out.

P1050447_zps1f42db78.jpg

From the top you can see how the CA becomes the new lower leading edge.

P1050448_zpscd581d25.jpg

and head on - the effect is now to give the dog teeth the lower "droop"

P1050451_zpsb8595cfa.jpg

and downward cant

P1050452_zps414228df.jpg

I also added the wing tip lights , as you can see, and used CA/talc coloured with some SNJ aluminium powder to attach - so now the "inside" of the lights are silver. Bit of masking and a re-prime next.

cheers

Jonners

Amazing what you don't see when you stare at something for ages isnt it!!

Especially when it's thought to be in the vicinity of the carpet. :weep:

When it comes to "photo interpretation" I heartily agree. But the corollary is that, having been made aware, and tried to tell yourself that it isn't important, it then shouts out at you when you look at the images.

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

Especially when it's thought to be in the vicinity of the carpet. :weep:

When it comes to "photo interpretation" I heartily agree. But the corollary is that, having been made aware, and tried to tell yourself that it isn't important, it then shouts out at you when you look at the images.

bob

Im normally pretty good at finding lost bits too, but this one has slipped through a wormhole into a parallel universe.

And yep I heartily agree. How many "simple" builds have I started only to latch on to some detail that I just can't not have on a model - Lansen gun ports, Sea Fury exhausts, Gladiator engine bracing rods.

I should just build bloody models!!

jonners

Right , I applied an underside coat of Tamiya XF-19 sky grey yesterday ( which shows as a match for FS36622 Light Gray - the SEA undercolour), but it seems a bit dark. Looking at Mystere pics and a few 'Nam USAF aircraft the colour seems much lighter than this.

Was it just one of those greys that takes on a different tone easily in different lighting conditions, or was it lighter than my match suggest?

Jonners