Fonderie Miniature 1/48th Dassault Super Mystere B2, Le Petit Sabre Francais FINISHED!

Nice work so far Jonners.

I have been asking (myself) the same question about the SEA colours for quite some time now. The Belgian Air Force SEA colours also present different shades from the standard ones. You can also notice this difference on some F-100s and B-57s when looking at Vietnam era photos.

Belgian SEA colours were supposedly tan FS 30219, pale green FS 34102 & dark green FS 34064. They do look different in photos though...

Right , I applied an underside coat of Tamiya XF-19 sky grey yesterday ( which shows as a match for FS36622 Light Gray - the SEA undercolour), but it seems a bit dark. Looking at Mystere pics and a few 'Nam USAF aircraft the colour seems much lighter than this.

Was it just one of those greys that takes on a different tone easily in different lighting conditions, or was it lighter than my match suggest?

Jonners

Personally I find XF-19 much darker than FS 36622, I believe that the match you found is not correct. FS 36622 is really more a dirty white than a grey. Yes, it is that light !

Some charts suggest the use of XF55 deck tan as a match, never tried that myself though. Humbrol 28 is quite good if you're ok working with this brand

Personally I find XF-19 much darker than FS 36622, I believe that the match you found is not correct. FS 36622 is really more a dirty white than a grey. Yes, it is that light !

Some charts suggest the use of XF55 deck tan as a match, never tried that myself though. Humbrol 28 is quite good if you're ok working with this brand

which was what I thought - more an off white than "gray" - with a hint of something....

But looking at the picture Jonners posted (a page back) of his subject, what little I can see of the underside colour seems darkish?

bob

The XF-19 still seems dark GB - almost like RAF Medium Sea grey if that helps - or a light Neutral gray.

I have some XF55 Deck tan - might have a play around with that - still looks too dark, but a better hue. Hmmmmmmm

Jonners

Am I right in thinking that the "stain" from the squigglies will go away once you top-coat it? Looks rather nice with the narrow off-white squiggles, though...

bob

Hi Bob, yes it's already gone in fact. Once the paint has hardened up a bit ( it's Tamiya and some gunze, I didn't get on with Xtracrlix) I need to work into it a little to add a bit of wear and tear.. So for the next 48 hrs, it will be left alone.

Cheers

Jonners,

How's that L3 coming too? Or have been Talonated? :)

It's an L-4, in danger of being "Supersized" by using a Bronco 1/35th one instead. But yes, it has a slender rival with curves in all the right places. They shoulda called it the 'Siren', but I guess that doesn't have quite the right connotations around an airbase...

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Right - a litle more work. From what I can deduce when Super Mysteres when from "métal naturel" to camo, the painters obviously had a problem with the all moving tailplanes. Looking at pics its seems they either masked "en façon facile" round this area leaving a little leeway, or basically used the tail as a moving mask, "le masking anglais". My model has the former - so some white tack and tape....comme ci

P1050468_zpsfb58850e.jpg

et l'aerograph avec Gunze metallic 'Alumine"... comma ca

P1050470_zpsf46e0b82.jpg

Not great ( dont think I had the paint thinned well enough) - but a starting point to work into...

There are very visible concentric wear lines on this area where the inside of the tail plate rubs - the post shade isnt tight enough, so it will be onto some hands-on weathering here.

Eh bien, avant vers le bas, comme d'habitude :)

Jonnoirs

Hi all.

I don't know about you, but with me, there are points along the line of a model's construction where you suddenly "see" what you've been striving for. It may be putting some distinctive pieces together and perceiving the shape finally, or some part of the colour scheme that's synonymous with the type; it may just be a minor detail that you like which "makes" the model come alive.

I had one of those moments today, but first a tale of woe, narrowly missed.

So last night I decided to start decalling. Berna's excellent sheet would provide the markings and most of the stencils, but I feared i would still need to use the kit sheet for the distinctive wing No Step red outline areas. Fear was right, the FM decals were horrible - not matching their own panel lines and looking thick with horribly visible carrier film. After leaving the first decal on for about 5 mins I removed it, and pondered....

So - into the decal decal dungeon - and out comes a 1/72nd scale Italeri B57 sheet from the mid late 80s - plenty of red striping on it which I reckoned could be cut to make the distinctive wing markings. So late last night I applied some test piece - namely the two long stripes that run a parallel to the fuselage on either wing. Set'ted and Sol'led I left em to dry. This morning - perfect! All I need to do now is work out how to cut the other bits and I'm off and running.

Then!

In a moment of clarity, I realise something, which confirms what my wife says- that I look far brighter than I plainly am... ): I have the Isra decal sheet for the Mystere - because the generous benefactor what 'givved' me the kit also 'givved' me the decal sheet. Its just I'd forgotten because, Ho Hum, that was for Israeli Mysteres, and I"M DOING A FRENCH ONE. I am a moron sometimes.

Isra decal had of course supplied 2 sets of wing striping on their lovely sheet, perfectly shaped to fit. So out with that - onto the wings, plus a few bits from the Berna sheet to give a feel....

... And here's that moment I mentioned at the start. All of a sudden with the red wing striping on, The "NE PAS MARCHER" stencilling added, and the fin tricolour, I can see a Mystere.

Happiness is something which takes many forms, For me today it was thin red stripes of sticky printed stuff on some bits of glued plastic in my kitchen. Bliss.

P1050472_zps13b3739d.jpg

Jonners

• Like 2

And a fine looking Mystere it is so far, Jonners. I have this kit in my stash, so I'm well aware with what you started with. I've been following your build up and am really impressed with the work you have put into it to this point. :thumbsup2:

Cheers,

Albert

Evening all

Spent the day fighting the undercarriage. Should have all been simple, but did you ever have one of those days when CA wont stick, paint comes off, generally anything that can go SNAFU does?

Finally wrestled it all into submission, but it was not fun - just one of those sessions you have to work through.

Pics in the morning. Maybe its the Mystere bit coming out....

Jonners

• Like 1

So here's where Im at with the undercart. Scissor links scratched from card and added, plus brake lines. My CA has now stopped sticking, so I need to get some new.

The wheels will attach to the two sections of cotton bud tube attached - as the original axles are a bit short....

The pieces of brass tube seen here are the under nose probes in progress.

P1050476_zps3e69842e.jpg

In the meantime - paint has now been flattened down

P1050480_zps306ef4f8.jpg

Jonners, on finals I hope

• Like 2