Olimp 1/72 Curtiss Jenny

stevehed

Hi All,

This will be my build. It's a first for me and Olimp who are from the Ukraine according to the box. Almost flash free and I haven't found anyone calling the kit names yet. Choice of two engines and a Brit or Yank trainer option. The Brit first and as I have two kits will save the tranfers to do a Yank with a Hisso engine later in the year.

408461230.jpg

408461229.jpg

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed
  • Like 2

Nice one Steve - where did you get kit from?

Pete

This is one I'd like to do if I can get hold of a kit. I have the Blue Rider decals for Canadian one. All it has is an emblem on the fuselage and the serial number so not many decals to apply.

Evening,

A little more progress has been made as I can now concentrate on the Jenny. The wings are in three parts as the centre sections are different between the British A and Yank D offerings. I didn't notice this fine point and made up the wrong upper wing so had to pinch the wing from the other kit hence the different colours. Filler and superglue are required along the joints. There are no locating pins along the fuselage halves so a couple of tabs were added before cementing together. There are gaps along the underside joint but a little filler will easily eradicate these. The only dissappointment so far has been the decals. I tried to stick the instrument panels to the parts but they disintergrated when touched. Got some liquid decal film and will coat the roundels so here's hoping. I must admit that being from the Ukraine I have visions of Tokos and Rodens million piece transfers floating in a dish of warm water.

Regards,

Steve

408572183.jpg

408572182.jpg

Edited by stevehed

Hi, Steve,

Good work so far, but there are a few other mods necessary to change the US Jenny to a RFC/RAF Training JN-4 Canuck:

a. the RFC a/c had ailerons on both wings, a double-tubular aileron connection between the ailerons, more pointed rear wingtips on the lower wing, a more rounded rudder, and no horizontal stabilize bracing strut. Here's a link to a conversion article posted on the IPMS Canada website: http://www.ipmscanada.com/ipms/ipmsresources.html . Click on "Reference Articles," then "Aircraft References." The 11th article down the list is the one you want. It deals with the Lindberg "Jenny" kit, but the information you need for the Olimp offering is there.

Let me know if you need any other information. Always glad to help. Good luck with your build! :book:

• Like 1

Hi, Steve,

Good work so far, but there are a few other mods necessary to change the US Jenny to a RFC/RAF Training JN-4 Canuck:

a. the RFC a/c had ailerons on both wings, a double-tubular aileron connection between the ailerons, more pointed rear wingtips on the lower wing, a more rounded rudder, and no horizontal stabilize bracing strut. Here's a link to an conversion article posted on the IPMS Canada website: http://www.ipmscanada.com/ipms/ipmsresources.html . Click on "Reference Articles," then "Aircraft References." The 11th article down the list is the one you want. It deals with the Lindberg "Jenny" kit, but the information you need for the Olimp offering is there.

Let me know if you need any other information. Always glad to help. Good luck with your build! :book:

Wow, this is the kind of info that GB's are meant for. Edited by Deacon

Steve,

Just a short followup: according to my drawings, the upper wing of the Canuck has a straight-across trailing edge, as has the lower wing trailing edge. The US version has "insets," or cutaways, at the fuselage. Your white upper wing looks fine in the above photo, but I wanted to warn you off about the lower wing.

Deacon: "Wow, this is the kind of info that GB's are meant for." ​Not quite sure what a "GB" is in this context. Hopefully, it is a "good thing!" :D

Thanks Gary, much appreciated. Had a look at the link and noted the differences although I wasn't really thinking of doing a Canuck. I've seen a photo, probably on the Aerodrome, of a " Jenny " that crashed in France in 1918. It belonged to the RNAS. Of the over a thousand built did any JN4D Jennys make it over the pond to Blighty. Kenneth Munson mentions hydrids too which might prove interesting. Oh, what a can of worms we have opened.

Regards, Steve

Thanks Gary, much appreciated. Had a look at the link and noted the differences although I wasn't really thinking of doing a Canuck. I've seen a photo, probably on the Aerodrome, of a " Jenny " that crashed in France in 1918. It belonged to the RNAS. Of the over a thousand built did any JN4D Jennys make it over the pond to Blighty. Kenneth Munson mentions hydrids too which might prove interesting. Oh, what a can of worms we have opened.

Regards, Steve

Hi, Steve,

I'm not too sure of any JN4Ds in France. My main interest is in the RFC/RAF training squadrons that were established over here and in the US during the period 1917-1918. The "Hybrid" was a Jenny that featured an American-built fuselage fitted with Canadian-built wings. About 150 or so were built, and were nicknamed the "Buffalo" because the fuselages were built in Buffalo, New York. They had a slight hump over the cockpit area due to the 6-degree downward tilt of the engine. Early versions had wire connecting the ailerons,while later versions had the standard two-tube strut-connected fittings.

"Can of worms?" A main feature of this hobby, I think! :winkgrin:

Thanks again Gary. Had a quick trawl of the net and am getting the impression that the Brit aircraft are all Canuck types so no getting away with not modifying the wings. Could always do the Yank first, I suppose.

Regards, Steve

Sticking with the Brit Canuck so the wings required modifications. Just added plastic card and filed to shape, nothing fancy. The fuselage cut out needed to be enlarged a touch but the lower wing fits now. Ailerons still to be cut and when the lower wing is attached I can start painting and drilling for the rigging. Feel I'm getting somewhere when the painting starts.

408598611.jpg

Regards, Steve

Thanks Gary, another request if I may. The IPMS site has the Canucks as mainly CDL with green, presumably PC10, engine and cockpit areas. Olimp have the JN4A as all uppers and fuselage sides as a green version of PC10 with CDL lowers. Are both colour schemes correct?

Regards, Steve

408664762.jpg

Thanks Guys. Started painting and wanted to try out the roundels after the instrument panels had disintegrated. Coated with decal film and they handled alright. But they are typical East European and are brittle. They don't compare to the Revell Spad for example. The lower wing cut out has to be realigned to get the wing straight as did the actual wing gap which had to be widened. Looking like the filler tube is going to get some more use around the radiator and the lower wing.

Regards,

Steve

Hi, Steve,

​Sorry to be so long in getting back to you. I'm involved here with computer simulation training at our local military base, and just finished an exercise this afternoon.

My reference for the training aircraft in Canada and the US says the following:

a. Dark Olive Green - aluminum portions of the forward fuselage and upper fuselage cockpit area. Aluminum strips along the upper fuselage longeron (where fitted. Eventually the fabric was stitched directly to the aluminum strip itself, thus hiding it).

b. Cream Colour - fabric finish on early aircraft (irish linen), including landing gear wraps (see below)

c. Light Tan Colour - fabric finish later aircraft, when the irish linen supply became difficult to obtain. Including landing gear wraps (see below)

d. Varnished Orange-Brown - struts and horizontal tail supports

e. Light Wood - landing gear struts. These were also wrapped with fabric for extra strength (see above)

f. Black - metal control horns (if painted)

g. Bare Metal - metal control horns (if not painted). "V-Shaped" metal aileron connector on Canadian Jennies (usually remained unpainted)

h Varying Browns - propeller, made from varnished white oak. Most of the photos in my reference show a mid- to dark-brown.

My reference shows no Jenny in overall PC10 in North America, probably as there was no requirement for camouflage and so the cost per airframe and the construction time was reduced. Also, I have no information on any Jennies used by the RFC/RAF in Europe, and therefore can't comment on the overall PC10/CDL finish.

Hope the first part of the posting helps! :book:

Thanks Gary, that's very helpful. Bit confused with the green PC10. To date, every picture I've managed to find, including Blue Riders decal set, has gone with the green variant. But I gather that the constituents of the US version of PC10 made it brown and presumably it was this local supply that was used on the Jennies.

Regards, Steve

Steve,

Just to muddy the waters a bit more... the early PC10 apparently had more of a green caste than the later versions which were apparently more of a chocolate brown. I don't know what paint you use, but the Misterkit and Xtracolor PC10s are in the green camp, with the Misterkit a relatively light green. Not sure if this is an attempt ar fading or not. The Xtracolor is a darker green with a smidge of a brown caste to it.

The US version is probably a more Olive Drab with a bit of a green caste (as if there is anything that can remotely be considered the "official" Olive Drab!" :analintruder:). I'll probably use a lighter OD with a touch of green added a and when I ever get 'round to my Jenny!