1/72 hobbyboss T-6 Texan. finished 1-2-14

paganpete

At last a decision, I am going to build the hobby boss 1/72 T-6 Texan, why,because I love it!

No idea on decals yet, one step at a time peeps!!

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my Texan has arrived, an easy build kit (fine by me - means I can take more time over the hairy stick part)!

texan-box-shot_zps824623c2.jpg

Going to do it with the PLA markings - really sharp detail on this kit (not much cockpit though).

Will start in a few days I think, just finishing off the Whitney.

Pete

Here is the first assembly pic of this humongous build (31 pcs), so far so good -no flash, and only a tiny bit of filling will be needed; oh, and a taddly smidgeon of scratchbuilding!

Seats in bare cockpit, scoop added onto 2 sections and that is it so far.

wip-t1_zps28f50b6d.jpg

Onwards and upwards...

Pete

Not like mine then! Hehe!

Oh no, yours looks a lot harder than mine (ooh err missus), this Hobbyboss one is extremely nice - good detail,decent fit and virtually no flash!

Pete

Small update on the kit -all going together well; main unit fitted together (all seven parts of it), cockpit has had masking tape belts added (very basic as when canopy is done you will be unable to see much), just noticed I missed a bit of paint on cockpit by pilot seat area!

Some serious join work needed though - might have to order mr surfacer as I have heard good things about the range. Also waiting for an Eduard mask for the canopy (for academy kit but should be ok for this one).

A final thing is the wheel wells - going to add some detail to these (as well as to hide the huge join line).

wip2_zpsfd3ccc73.jpg

So far, so good!

Small update today while I wait for the canopy mask!

A bit of fuse wire in the wheel wells and on the landing gear...

wip3_zpse4e210ea.jpg

That's all folks!

Pete

• Like 1

Struth Pete you're off to a flyer on this one, are you trying to give speedman a run for his money this GB ?

Talking of which he should have finished his first one by now must check the gallery....

Cheers Pat

Oh no Pat, speedman is the usain bolt of modellers, I am more like Geoff capes - slow and steady ( but without the budgies)!

Pete

• Like 1

Oh no Pat, speedman is the usain bolt of modellers, I am more like Geoff capes - slow and steady ( but without the budgies)!

Pete

I was a little worried that the budgies was a reference to swimwear, but thankfully I was mistaken.

The Texan is looking great, the mask is a good idea my ham fisted attempt on the Proctor canopy showed its money and time well spent, if you can find the right one.

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

I have ordered the eduard mask (for the academy kit - no hobbyboss version - hope there is not a lot of disparity between the two)!

I noticed that Seavixen - I will be leaving as is though, this time; would like to do a 1/48 in the future though!

Pete

Well, the mask arrived this morning - had a spare hour today so got to grips with it; not a perfect fit - seems like the Academy canopy is a bit bigger than the hobby boss one,(so a bit of slicing and dicing required - see pics) - but overall not too shabby!

The fit between the canopy and fuselage is not great so I will have to slap some PVA glue between the join before priming.

masking2_zpsf9001339.jpg

masking1_zps5249b125.jpg

Well worth the price Henrik, a good base to work from!

Pete

Progress at last...base silver coat (brush painted Mr Metal Aluminium - then lightly buffed)...

base-paint_zpsc716eba4.jpg

...then painted the anti glare and also took the paint mask off the canopy - not bad, needs some touch-up.

windowed_zpsc1db415b.jpg

Couple of days before I will be doing any more though (and still lots to do)!

Nice to see so many entries in this GB - good luck all.

• Like 1

Had time to do some work on the Texan yesterday - here she is varnished up and ready for decals...

readyfordecal_zpsc57af033.jpg

And here she is decaled up (using Humbrol Decalfix to shrink and mould the slightly thick decals to the frame)...

dec2_zps62367fb6.jpg

Finally for this update I have the tools of my trade that I will be using to do the panel lines (thanks to Hawkeye's vids for showing me how to do this properly)!

decaled_zps9cbb5afa.jpg

Apologies for blurry pics - still getting to grips with new camera.

Next update soon, fingers crossed!

• Like 1