1/32 Pacific Coast Models Spitfire IXc

Well I finally completed the Spitfire IXc from Pacific Coast Models. I'm now going to try doing a base and figure for it as well, but at least the aircraft is complete. And for saying it was such a beast of a kit to build, it's turned out quite nicely. Build pics are here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934724-pacific-coast-models-132-spitfire-ixc/

Pics of the squadron aircraft suggest that they were late getting the IFF aerials, if they ever got them, although they had upgraded to VHF from HF radios. Hence no aerial wires anywhere.

SpitfireIXc58.jpg

SpitfireIXc60.jpg

Some subtle exhaust staining...a little too subtle perhaps? And a smudge from the fuel filler.

SpitfireIXc62.jpg

SpitfireIXc64.jpg

A lightly weathered prop. I'm working on the basis that they had a metal prop at least at one point. No hard evidence to suggest this didn't happen...

SpitfireIXc66.jpg

SpitfireIXc68.jpg

Weathering based on wartime pics of desert Spits, some of which were even grubbier. The thread I used was here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234945703-oil-stains-on-spitfires/page-3#entry1478890

SpitfireIXc70.jpg

North Africa early 1943, I figure there was some mud and muck that got spread around the tailwheel as well.

SpitfireIXc74.jpg

SpitfireIXc77.jpg

Light wear on the starboard wing root as well.

SpitfireIXc78.jpg

Edited by Leadsolo
  • Like 8

Impressive build! Those ICM kits seem to be real VFM and you have done it proud.

Minor observation: in that scale especially, a Spit tends to look a bit 'stiff' without the elevators drooping slightly. If you look at photos of parked Spits, you'll notice that almost without exception the elevators hang down a bit.

Excellent work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim, thanks for the kind words. It wasn't ICM though, it was Pacific Coast Models, combining a Sword limited run moulding with Eduard etch and resin and Cartograph decals. The plastic was clearly a limited run moulding....had to fight it all the way.

You're right about the tailplanes...but I was battling enough to get it together and completely didn't think about that. If you check out the build thread, you'll see some of the challenges. The wing roots especially...

I am doing the same aircraft in 1/48 (eduard) the instruction don't show walkway lines. I am unsure weather to put them on or not. Any ideas? I have this kit but have been put off building it because of the raised panel lines (if its the same kit???) VERY WELL DONE!

Thanks for the kind words chaps. It was not an easy build so I'm glad it's come up so well.

Sean, this was the Pacific Coast Models 1/32 kit, not the Eduard 1/48. Panel lines on this were recessed to varying degrees, depending on how well it moulded. As for walkway lines, I think they tended to be a fairly consistent feature so I would apply them.

I used Humbrol paints - 29 Dark Earth, 225Light Stone and 157 Azure Blue. The Azure Blue was the reformulated version of the colour from Humbrol which seems to be pretty spot on. Had to run it through the airrush slightly thicker than normal to stop it settling out too quick, but it worked with carefull application. I used Alclad Gloss varnish prior to decalling and Alclad Matt afterwards to let the pastels & MIG weathering powders grip. Then another light coat of Alclad Matt to seal it all in. Oil leaks were MIG products Oil & Grease Stain liquid. Some applied neat and left, other streak applied, left to dry for a few moments and then brushed over with an old paintbrush dampened with white spirit which just helped it smear a bit more. White spirit did seem to soften the Alclad varnish though.

Very nice. I find these PCM Spits are not an easy build and just enough of a challenge to enjoy. When you see one put together like this you get a sense of satisfaction that it's a good job well done.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind words. Work continues on making a desert type base now. Can't work out how to get the scrub grass effect so it may be a sand base with clumps of rough grass poking up instead. Obviously early spring just before the grass got a firm grip :whistle:

Obviously early spring just before the grass got a firm grip :whistle:

May I see your poetic license please?

Beautiful piece of art here - Really a fantastic build.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. Yes, once I've managed to work out just what I'm doing, I shall do some more pictures. Currently scratchbuilding a trestle table for the base as well. Plans to mash together a Preiser figure and Airfix 8th Army multipose figure to make a ground crew man as well.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've finally got a trestle table built with a toolboox, tools and a tool roll, Apart from the spanners which are all etch from Tamiya, the rest is all scratchbuilt. I'm rather pleased with the final result. Just hope I can get the figure and the rest of the base to match up.

Spitfirebase1sml.jpg

Spitfirebase2sml.jpg