Tamiya Spitfire Vb 1/48TH

robvulcan

Hi all I have just finished the Hobbyboss 1/32 Spitfire kit for my Dad. I wanted it finished as EN821 SNM as found in this kit but at the time In case i could not model it in 1/32 I bought this lovely little kit as a back up....

(I like Spitfires too... :wicked: )

So I have started Making her yesterday and today.. (You think I would have had enough spits nope...)

D04DC1A7-397B-48E5-8A08-9391267C75DB-876

5E3DB3F3-B468-46CD-8C88-7FBB9B25B0AC-928

6EAF1B5B-C1A8-4216-8C33-C8139DEFC5C1-928

I Think the intention with this kit is to be a quick fun build and I will most likely do it as EN821 SNM again but this time a flying wheels up model to photo shop.

I am really enjoying this little kit and will defiantly be buying more of them Including the mk1 too.

This is my first ever Tamiya and I am blown away at the quality.. ;)

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 2

More progress I am getting through this one much quicker. I guess thats's because :

1, No Christmas shopping

2, no disturbances...

3, parts do not take long to clean up

4, now more familiar with the insides of a spitfire.

5, no pressure of a deadline just pure modeling pleasure.. Yay.

The insides have had a citadel wash.

CB90A7BD-2F76-485A-B0F5-FF0784DDA512-122

BDACB76E-0275-46A4-B9ED-FB50414B2A34-122

8D716F51-CB21-41DF-995B-D160EAA18479-122

some effort with the gauges..

67904EEC-7688-41BA-806B-C5B2E7ECE490-122

1F6949C0-CD45-4FE8-BC8E-2B1D03558920-122

40770BFD-AE40-4290-9903-29BECCE2A474-122

Well I did not believe it but these Tamiya's really do just fall together.. Its all new to me being my first Tamiya. Good fun indeed.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 4

Hi Rob,

I am sure this build will be great! I shall follow it for sure.

Re Tamiya kits falling together without any problems, I am starting to have doubts! I have been struggling with their 1/72 P-51D, which everybody says is the bees knees of Mustangs, and I have had countless fit problems! I guess it has to be me getting a bit shaky in my dotage I can't wait to finish it... and try good old Airfix for a change!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

Rob,

I think this will be an epic build ...seeing your other SUPERB builds, this is gonna be fun to watch..

For you.. hard work ..but WE will be right behind you ..

Neat start... Keep it rolling...

:worthy:

Cheers Houston for all your kind support I am glad you like my stuff.

I have really got a spitfire thing at the moment. I knew this would happen build one then build more and more and more.... I did this when I was a kid.

I am basically still a kid just bigger with more responsibilities.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

I am sure this build will be great! I shall follow it for sure.

Re Tamiya kits falling together without any problems, I am starting to have doubts! I have been struggling with their 1/72 P-51D, which everybody says is the bees knees of Mustangs, and I have had countless fit problems! I guess it has to be me getting a bit shaky in my dotage I can't wait to finish it... and try good old Airfix for a change!

Cheers

JR

Well I am glad your following and wish you luck with your build. I think it depends on the tamiya kit age. But generally they seem to have a good reputation.

I am sure you will knock it into shape soon enough.

The last time I built a mustang I was a kid I can't remember the kit but It was a cheap basic make of which I really enjoyed. Bought from a town model shop somewhere in Norfolk on holiday.

I might still have her in the loft. That was a great holiday were me and my mate made many kits. You have brought back a few happy memories there. Cheers Rob.

CB90A7BD-2F76-485A-B0F5-FF0784DDA512-122

BDACB76E-0275-46A4-B9ED-FB50414B2A34-122

Hi Rob,

I'm sorry to have to tell you that you've got the undercarriage retract mechanism and the engine controls on the opposite fuselage halves to what they should be on. I.e. they need to switch places.

Dave

Edited by Dave Gibson
  • Like 1

Hi Rob,

I'm sorry to have to tell you that you've got the undercarriage retract mechanism and the engine controls on the opposite fuselage halves to what they should be on. I.e. they need to switch places.

Dave

Oh really ahahah. Thanks for pointing that out.... Man I had a problem and for some reason got completely confuzled with it in my eagerness to get cracking....

Oh well I guess they can stay were they are now and they are not likely to be seen anyhow. I will continue to make this a wheels up jobby then and it gives me an excuse to buy more of these excellent kits. I can't believe I messed that up. I even looked at the instructions and swapped them over as I thought I had got it wrong.

I guess I could joke this one was build on a Friday afternoon.

Cheers Mate Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan

I've got one of these on a brass rod attached to my desk at work :) Its a lovely kit of a classic Spitfire. Have fun with it!

Very Nice Kallisti I would love to see a pic of that.

I am having a lot of fun with it. I was going to do wheels up but it looks like that might not be possible. I can't believe I got those two little parts the wrong way around. The fuselage is shut up now so they are well and truly in there now.

Thing Confusing me is the kit seems to come with 3 canopy types. Not sure which belongs to which decal option.

Cheers Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

More Spitfires Rob? You must be a sucker for punishment, lol. I love a Spitfire too, so I'll be watching this through.

It's looking good so far.

Hiya Rob, are you ok? I'm missing your updates. :(

I hope all is well in the RobVulcan household.

Hi mate man, I am so sorry for the late reply, I am sorry I missed this,

Just over Christmas after the marathon build of the 1/32 Spit I hit burn out and then re discovered "Beer" :thumbsup2::drink:

I lost a few months to work and catching up on stuff neglected and had an issue with the wings on my kit a kind soul has sent me a replacement.

Then I was challenged to Make a 1/72 Vulcan by General Melchett and asked if I would do it in 4 week (no problem I thought having build 15 plus before) But the one I got although looked to be nice turned out to have the worst fit I had encountered and was another race to the finish with sleepless nights and I was still working on it on the morning of the Cosford show it was destined for and I had 1 hours sleep.

It was worth it though and getting to join the Bomber Command SIG has been a lot of fun.

Since then I had received a FROG Vulcan which I scratch built some intakes for and wish to mold and cast them in resin. Then I finished off my Model Of XL426 which was stalled for about 6 months and took a year to complete.

After that I had been off the site build wise for several months as I have been working on a project in secret for the last 6 months and its been a happy accident but a lot of work.

Through that time I have committed a big sin of starting multiple kits and they all keep getting worked on and cycled. Including this one which I hope to return to soon along with many other builds... Fun but boy what a lot of work..

I am ok and thanks for the concern but sorry for the delay.

Cheers Rob ;)

• 1 year later...

Well I think its about time I did some work on this one. I was still in my 20s when I last worked on this now I am 31 :shutup: ...

Its been a busy few years full of good and bad there are many times I picked up this beauty and thought I really must finish you.

Thanks go to Pip Moss for sorting me out with some replacement wings which is why this build stalled as some idiot left the wings near a heat source..

Surely it cant take me too long to throw this one together

90DAA6D3-64C6-467C-8D16-F5D3AD39A2A5_zps

I have not decided on the scheme yet. It will probably be one of the 3 schemes in the box. I was wondering if I could do a Green Brown scheme one however.

Cheers Rob :)

I did not spend long on the pilot I roughly painted him and give him a quick wash with Citadel. I am going to leave him out however as the fit is not great with him in.

But a nice cast all the same.

I have not decided on pit open or closed. Might even do wheels up on a stand but more likely do wheels down as this kit does not seem to allow gear up.

Also I got the cockpit the wrong colour so maybe closed pit wheels down is the best way forward.

AD082467-DFD8-4B3F-AA72-176F42236295_zps

8401322F-135E-4018-BB3E-097886F51932_zps

• Like 1

Nice work Rob how did you find the 1/32 hobbyboss kit?

Hi mate it was great I did WIP ofnit on here but think all the photos have gone missing from my Photobucket disaster I'll have to sort that out.

Just run into a disaster with this got the wings on and realise I have no radiator and whatever he other intake under wing is they are stuck to the duff wing ! Looks like it's in the freezer to try and pry it off.

Well the good news is the Spit is not far of the paint stage. I really cant see why its taken me so long to do this there is nothing to this kit you can literally throw it together in 10 mins structure wise.

74F0241E-3AE9-45B6-B697-99794066CA50_zps

But we have a problem. I have no underwing radiator/cooler (thingys I cant remember what they are..) As they are on the knackerd wing. Which is now in the freezer in water in the hope I can get them off..

AD28F93B-9645-4CA3-9654-AA766D7AE5E4_zps

I like this picture. Suits how I feel when I make a balls of it like this.

F5D9FF83-61C2-48D2-A316-507A77015921_zps

Rob you should know by now if its going too well...theres something wrong somewhere!!

Yes indeed just when you thought. I will have this finished soon you realise you have parts missing. I am now wondering if there are resin parts or even mod parts perhaps I could dr this into another type of spitfire. I have no idea. I love spits but my knowledge is limited.

I am off to the freezer to see how my parts are doing :)