Airfix Gnat T1

Jabba

This is my entry into GB with the Airfix Gnat T1, using the S&M decal sheet. I will be making a Gnat from 4 FTS based at RAF Valley, using the decal sheet to make an aircraft in the Red/White and Grey scheme. I know that there were two schemes one which is shown on the decal sheet with the upper wing all in Whit, and the other which I am hoping to do which has the upper wing mainly in Red with a white stripe in line with the external fuel tank.

The kit.

GnatT1001_zpsfcafdf30.jpg

GnatT1002_zps244673cc.jpg

The Decals.

GnatT1004_zps3509582c.jpg

GnatT1003_zps97dbe870.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

the other which I am hoping to do which has the upper wing mainly in Red with a white stripe in line with the external fuel tank.

In my opinion, that's the best scheme for the Gnat. It's a little bit retro. :thumbsup:

I'd use the kit decals for the roundels however. The S&M ones are a bit too small and the fuselage serials are a bit too big on the same set!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing some work to this model, but to be honest it has been a little on the slow side. I have painted and fitted the parts that go into the fuselage before it is joined together except for the cockpit, built up the wings, painted the ejection seats and all the parts to put the cockpit together. As the ejections seats are really very much integral to the build up of the cockpit, I have waited until they were painted before I started the build up of this area.

First the ejection seats.

GnatT1005_zps883680f4.jpg

The fuselage parts (Inside).

GnatT1006_zps05b7496c.jpg

The fuselage parts (Outside).

GnatT1007_zps7298121e.jpg

And finally the wings.

GnatT1008_zpsfb95e281.jpg

I hope to start on the cockpit tonight and will have pictures of it before it goes into the fuselage.

Any comments are gratefully received.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

As promised some pictures of the built up cockpit before it is fitted into the fuselage.

GnatT1009_zpsc8ec4f41.jpg

GnatT1010_zps9b06c9d5.jpg

GnatT1011_zpsb1d34f61.jpg

GnatT1012_zpsf0d0f6dd.jpg

I am really liking the fit of parts of this kit. My only real complaint is that the parts are attached to the sprues with rather large gates, very reminiscent of the ones that usually come with older Eastern European kits.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

Looking good - but before you install that lovely cockpit, all the ejection seat straps on the Folland Ejector seat were made of a black material, not khaki!

If you are fitting them, the Leg Restraint garters were, IIRC, a light blue colour.

Cheers, Brian

Looking good - but before you install that lovely cockpit, all the ejection seat straps on the Folland Ejector seat were made of a black material, not khaki!

If you are fitting them, the Leg Restraint garters were, IIRC, a light blue colour.

Cheers, Brian

Thanks for the colour call out on the seat straps. I got mine from the Aeroclub 1/48th kit, and as I could not remember their colour from working on one whilst at Trade Training I went with that. They will be replaced.

good luck with this- it's looking good. The only real problem I had with this kit was the intake fit, They may need sanding.

I have noted that too.

• Like 1

I have now got the fuselage glued together along with the central piece that goes between the main U/C legs. I had a bit of difficulty fitting this piece due to the fact that one of the main U/C bays was not quite fitted correctly to its fuselage half. I have also applied a small amount of filler to the fuselage and started to sand down, but have found this to be a bit awkward due to the fact that the U/C if fitted. I don't normally fit these parts until I have sanded the whole model, or I have painted it. I did look beforehand to see if the fuselage could be put together before the fitting of the U/C, but could not see a way of doing so. Has anyone who has built the kit found a way around this, without placing the model with the U/C up? I have also made, filled and sanded the wing fuel tanks. Hopefully I shall fit the wings in the next day or so. Any way here are some pictures.

GnatT1014_zps53be9002.jpg

GnatT1015_zps571fba46.jpg

GnatT1016_zpsb67cec7b.jpg

GnatT1017_zpsf4792de4.jpg

Edited by Jabba

I have now got the fuselage and wings joined together. The joints of these parts have been filled and sanded down. I have also added the jet pipe, which split slightly the rear fuselage, but this has been filled and sanded. Hopefully this week I will add the blast screen between the two cockpits, then add the canopy, tail planes and wing tanks before I start on the painting.

GnatT1018_zps964c57b3.jpg

GnatT1019_zps25237a14.jpg

Edited by Jabba

After much cursing and swearing I got the inter cockpit blast shield put in place. I had a little bit of bother making a paper template and the same with the acetate sheet, but eventually I got what I wanted. It may not be totally accurate, but at least it is something that will hopefully be seen through the canopy. Any comment are very welcome.

GnatT1020_zps7359e44b.jpg

GnatT1021_zps415fb7fd.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now painted the White and Light Grey onto the fuselage and wings. I have also masked off the White and will do the Lt Grey before painting the Red and Black.

GnatT1024_zpsaca78194.jpg

GnatT1025_zps44e21e43.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

All painted up now. I have also tidied up some of the red paint overspill that occurred, how I don't know as the whole surface was either covered in tape or masking fluid, but somehow the paint got through it all. I have also added the nose U/C, which broke when removing it from the sprue, even with a small saw. I then found that when fitting it to the bay after gluing the fwd strut into position the retraction jack was too long and therefore I cut it to fit. It looks alright but I am not sure if it is correct. Has anyone else had this problem with the nose U/C?

I will hopefully apply some Klear in the next day or so and then chose the aircraft that I am going to do.

Anyway some pictures of the progress.

GnatT1028_zpsf3e87990.jpg

GnatT1029_zpsd7dbb37c.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 2

I'd use the kit decals for the roundels however. The S&M ones are a bit too small and the fuselage serials are a bit too big on the same set!

I am not sure about this as the scheme that I am doing has small roundals in all positions, so I will have to use these from both the kit and aftermarket sheets. As for the Serial Nos, I think that I will stick with the S&M sheet as I am not sure that the kit sheet will cover the Ser No of the aircraft that I decide to do (not chosen as yet).

All the major decals are now on. I used the majority of them from the S&M sheet as the roundels were in fact closer to the correct size than the kit ones. This info was gleaned from the Modeldecal roundel sheet, which stated that the roundel size that I required was 18" all round, which I calculated to be 7mm. I placed the kit ones on the underwing positions. I still have the stencil markings to put on which will come from the kit sheet, but I am not sure how many of these will actually apply as they are from a different time period and colouring. If anyone does know I will be very grateful if they would let me know. Anyway some pictures.

GnatT1030_zpscdddef4f.jpg

GnatT1031_zpscbfcf4ea.jpg

GnatT1032_zps0fcb26ec.jpg

GnatT1033_zpsb1529109.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 2