RAF Hawk T Mk.1 - *** Finished ***

Tomjw

It's looking great, fingers crossed you get it finished in time :)

Thanks mate. Decals are on now. Just needs a couple of coats of varnish before the next round of photographs and then the fiddly bits to follow. My fingers are definitely crossed.

Cheers,

Tom.

Splendid, looking really good.

Thanks Goggsy. Got the decals on and undercarriage assembled, so piccies toight I think.

Cheers,

Tom.

Time for the latest update, and time is ticking...

I have now applied all the main paint to the aircraft and coated it will what seems like a stupid number of coats of Alclad Aqua Gloss varnish. I have applied the decals and sealed them with yet more varnish. The finish is shiny, but not overly shiny (to my eye), so I think it looks okay. I have then painted the black anti-glare panel in matt black, as I've noticed from my references that most of the glossy schemes in the 80s and 90s (before the black hawks) had a matt anti-glare panel - kind of makes sense really. I've also added some Flory Dark Dirt wash into the panel lines.

I've also made a start on masking and painting the canopies, the landing gear is painted and washed, with the main gear awaiting brake lines. I have also primed the tail plane and the speed brake. They are now ready for gloss red paint.

Some piccies below:-

DecalsOn1_zps946dc85c.jpg

DecalsOn2_zpse4f27ee3.jpg

DecalsOnUnder_zps059c03b2.jpg

I've tried not to overdo the weathering as they were kept fairly clean. The wheel bays seemed to always me full of gunk, so I've gone OTT on this, but in the BM Walkaround section, the insides of the undercarriage doors were always clean (go figure!!!).

Next steps are:-

Finish the undercarriage and wheels,

Finish the canopies and sills, including lots of PE,

Finish painting the undercarriage doors,

Finish painting the tail plane and speed brake,

Finish detail painting (jet pipe, exhaust vents, etc),

Finish the little fiddly bits such as antennae, etc.

Nearly there. So much to do and so little time. I must admit, though, I am enjoying this.

Thanks for stopping by. All comments gratefully received, as always.

Cheers,

Tom.

Edited by Tomjw
  • Like 2

loving the way this is looking, such a nice colour scheme.

Thanks mate. It would have been easy to play it safe, and go for the red, white and black. But Hawks do look good with the blue.

Cheers,

Tom.

Edited by Tomjw

Brilliant, nearly there I see. I've got one of these somewhere, hope it turns out as well as yours.

Thanks goggsy. Much appreciated.

Tom.

Are you going to make it Tom? Looking SO good in your last photo shots.

Max

Hi Max.

Hope so. Last day and everything is ready for final assembly. Will hopefully post later today.

Fingers crossed.

Tom.

was just looking at my two partially started kits,was going to do them black,but now.......

Its a tough choice as there are so many great schemes. My next one may have to be black...

Yay - Finally, after a day of frustration, I have finally finished. Among the snapped pitot probe and nose leg, as well as a botched MDC decal, I have finally completed my first WIP and Group Build.

The are a lot of issues with this build, and I am to blame for all of them. I've got to admit though, I am pretty happy with it, and I have learned loads. Thanks to you all for your support and encouragement. Taking part in this Group Build has resulted in me building a better kit, so that I can live up to some of the other builds on BM.

Pictures...They are crap, but I was taking them in a hurry to meet the deadline.Finished3_zps6d05378a.jpgFinished4_zpsc92e3252.jpg

Finished2_zps4afafc26.jpg

Thanks again to all for looking in.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 5

That looks lovely. You've got me hankering after one now... :whistle:

Sean

Thanks Sean. You should consider getting one. It was a most enjoyable build.

Cheers,

Tom.

Thanks Sean. You should consider getting one. It was a most enjoyable build.

Cheers,

Tom.

Oh I'm going to get one, just as long as I get a new bank account sorted. It can sit with the other 3! :D

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys. Very much appreciated. I've now got a neglected MRCA to finish.

Cheers,

Tom.

Great job, well done Tom. GBs are good fun aren't they?!

Max

Thanks Max. Group Builds are fun. enjoyed myself immensely.

Cheers,

Tom.