Airfix 1:72 F-51D Mustang

John.R

Hi,

After being bought this for Christmas along with a Spitfire F22 I decided to set aside some time for the building of this over the weekend/new year, I've primed this with a generic primer from the local pound shop which seems to do quite well.
I've also ventured into Airbrushing for the first time with a "Expo AB652 Starter Airbrush kit" which was bought for me by the extended family which uses the can's of propellant which I can get a 750ml for £8, and did a small test with a scrap Spitfire mk1a I had in the drawer so have enclosed some photo's of my first attempt!

First off the Unboxing:

35mhd9g.jpg
23uo4mc.jpg
317frr9.jpg
jq2kcy.jpg
2z8ugdg.jpg
2q9kqbq.jpg
wmffgm.jpg

First use of the Airbrush:

2qwcymt.jpg

Will get some more shots of the interior up as soon as I can!

Thanks for looking

John!

• Like 1

The Mustang is a nice little kit but, watch out for some fit problems with the wing to fuselage joint. VERY tight fit but, apart from that, no problem and, no filler used at all.. I'm building mine as the Dominican Air Force version. For anyone that's interested and had problems with masking the scalloped edge for the upper/lower colours, I used a serrated edged knife as a template. Held the blade down firmly on top of a strip of tape & gently cut along the serrations using a VERY sharp blade.

Simples!

Allan

• Like 1

The Mustang is a nice little kit but, watch out for some fit problems with the wing to fuselage joint. VERY tight fit but, apart from that, no problem and, no filler used at all.. I'm building mine as the Dominican Air Force version. For anyone that's interested and had problems with masking the scalloped edge for the upper/lower colours, I used a serrated edged knife as a template. Held the blade down firmly on top of a strip of tape & gently cut along the serrations using a VERY sharp blade.

Simples!

Allan

Indeed. Sent me half blind and totaly insane masking the camo for mine, but worth it.

BF8C1A5A-67B2-457B-9A9F-B9C63F2C89CF-742

The Airfix Mustang is a joy to build, I just wish they had included the frame in the canopy.

• Like 2

Sorry for not updating this sooner:

Test fitted the cockpit in the fuselage after giving the interior a small coat of "Cockpit Green" and adding some interior detail with "Brass" and "Plastikote Matt Black", also fitted the Instrument Panel/Seat & Stick in place:

2rehyd0.jpg

2jb5yjr.jpg

14kbiuc.jpg

rh08p1.jpg

el6w6e.jpg

Unfortunately there's been a slight hitch with the build of this, yesterday I mixed humbrol 191 up to the same mix as the Humbrol 11 previously, and this caused another reaction similar to the one that happened with the Previous Mustang....

I've used the thinners to remove the paint and attempt to bring it back to the primed stage which some success, I'm going to leave it to dry off properly (as its been washed etc) and then re-attempt to spray again!

Cracking problem...

1zque6v.jpg

After using Thinners:
eun381.jpg

I've resprayed this today and although there's still a little bit of cracking its not as bad as it was above!

Small update:

After the way the paint reacted above I wasn't sure how it would turn out once I'd given it enough time to settle before spraying it today, there's still a few little bits underneath which when finished you won't be able to see, but so far its turned out well:

Awaiting the Tail & Rudder to be added (1):
1zbqfdc.jpg
Awaiting the Tail & Rudder to be added (2):
255nyxe.jpg
Tail & Rudder added complete with Flaps in the Down position (1):
ic6xwh.jpg
Tail & Rudder added complete with Flaps in the Down position (2):
2lw97iw.jpg
Underside:
15kifp.jpg

Hopefully will have the Landing gear added & the rockets either tonight or tomorrow, and then start on the troublesome "Yellow" paint which is required