1:32 Revell ASK-21

This build is going to be a model of the K-21 that I learned to fly and soloed in

DSC_0438_zpsc26a50d5.jpg

Not sure which of these two is the aircraft I soloed in as I neglected to record the GGA reg No in my logbook. Recording on Red K-21 Long Mynd.

I know that the K-21 I flew was later in an accident but not sure if she was scrapped or replaced

Bungylaunch1_zps03a40760.jpg

Bungee launching from the western slopes of the Long Mynd, this is a fun way to be launched or being a member of the launch crew, especially when the bungee rope snaps!

bga3586_zps0e97f976.jpg

Looking forward to this one

• Like 3

Yes built one before when I first got back into modelling on 2007, not much detail needs adding really Jessica, the seatbelts need a lot to be desired so would like to replace them if I can, and I'm going to see if I can 'pop' the air brakes as we always used to do that on the 'Mynd' when we left them.

Hi Mish.

Spent many a happy weekend at the Mynd myself way back in the 70's. Used to fly the Ka-6e and their Ka-13.

I had my first flight in a Dart 17 there and my first flight in a glass ship which was really cool.

I'll be looking forward to this one Mish.

Chris.

Bit before I got there then Chris, I went for a weekend walking holiday and saw that the gliding Club was offering Ab Intio flights. Of course had one and was hooked by the thrill of a long winch launch. When I got home I signed up for a weeks course.

On the last day of the course I was one of three students allowed to solo in the K-21. I joined the club ans went back the following weekend where I was checked out on one of the older K-13s and allowed to take up an single seat K-8. Within the next couple of month I had my Bronze hight gained and duration. There then followed another weeks course in cross countrying and at the end of it I had achieved my Bronze distance as well.

Within the next 18 moths I had my Silver certificate, had move to a more local club and purchased a tenth share in a Blanik, or the flying Skoda as we called it!

Sadly within a couple of years I had changed jobs and with the rising price of launches I had to sell my share and give up gliding :( But I still remember the fun and excitement, and nothing beats looking to the other side of the thermal you are circling in and see that you are sharing it with a buzzard.

Good times.

• Like 1

How about getting a sheep that was stuck under my motorcaravan out in the middle of the night, or loosing a brand new, expensive hand held radio whilst using the Fordson tractor to chase of the sheep. :doh:

At least it was you chasing the sheep Mish.

I was being chased by the German Shepherd. Luckily, I got back to my own room and slammed the door on it. Happy days.

• Like 1

Mish: you must be one of the coolest ladies I've met! :coolio:

You fly gliders, build models, host a modelling site/forum... You must have a following like a freight train! :worthy:

Thank you for all the work you do here - it makes our lives brighter! :clap2:

• Like 1

So a start was made...

Firstly I started cutting a slot in the upper wings where I planned to scratch build the airbrakes in an open position.

DSC_0464_zps3c272418.jpg

DSC_0465_zpsff2e76e3.jpg

It was now that looking to see if there was any photos of open airbrakes on the web I found out that Profimodeler produced a PE set for this model.

PM32015ASK-21Glider_zpsc0ec1d0e.jpg

It consists of replacement IPs, Seatbelts, Wheel detail and Airbrakes. All for $12 in P&P from the USA.

This discovery promptly put a halt on the assembly. So I started on the base.

Firstly I taped up the fuselage and the wings so I could mock up how I wanted everything to appear.

DSC_0466_zpsa823a856.jpg

Next I cut the base from 6mm Foamboard

DSC_0467_zps9c0b763e.jpg

Then I mixed up some Sculptamould, paint, glue and water and formed the surface of my base

DSC_0469_zpsfa168421.jpg

That rather puts a halt to things until the base is dry.

• Like 3

:hmmm: That's a big ask! :owww:

Fair play to you - the whole thing looks quite complex and is that Sculptamould something like claycrete? Any cheaper? Looks like DAS with fibres & lumps in it. Should look very fetching when done - I like the unusual shape of the base, and the gash tyres for the wing weight :)

Nice to see a glider or two here. The ones I did my gliding course when I was in the ATC were in wood and fabric open cockpit Slingsby Cadet Mk.3(T.31)!! Completed 3 soloes at the end and that was it! In my stash I do have Heritage aviation 48th kit of a T-31 and T.21 Sedburgh!! Might dig those out if I have time.

This one is off to an interesting start Mish and your personal experience with the type makes it all the more so. Hope the etched detail fret arrives soon so we can watch your continued progress.

I can hurt myself badly with a modelling knife, so that sort of thing scares me...

Think that's the type of modelling 'knife' you need to correct a Trumpeter Lightning or Vampire.

Edited by Col.