GB Chat

I received my Xtradecal Tiger Moth set today...

...all I can say is, I'm waiting Airfix! Where is it!!!???

I've got the pritty stickas! I just need something to put them on!

Wez being very patient (which if you knew me...)

Finally decided on which aircraft to build (subject to the two grown ups / hosts permission obviously! )

It's going to be the Formaplane 1/72 Hawker Henley T.T.III , yes it's a vacform kit which I've never done before, so lots of challenges lie ahead, might have to look at any bits I can swap from the hurricane if I get in trouble as I believe they had a lot in common.

I also wondered if the Japanese "willow" was ok for this GB ?

If these two are ok I'm going to do something radical ( New Years resolution) and put some of the other trainers in the for sale section !

Cheers Pat

Jb65ram is building the Matchbox F3D Skyknight for his entry. In the build thread there was some discussion about the new Sword kit. Here are some sprue photos of my kit, which I will be building in the Korean War GB.

F3D-002.jpg

F3D-001.jpg

It is a very nicely moulded kit. One minor point is that there are no resin or PE parts included at all, which is quite different to all the other recent Sword releases. Another point is that, as was pointed out elsewhere, the kit actually represents an aircraft used in the AIM-7 Sparrow development programme. There are some waveguides moulded on to the fuselage sides which only appeared on test aircraft. These will have to be removed to represent an ordinary service aircraft, but that's not exactly an onerous task.

I'm looking forward to building this one.

Still not decided what to build, but my table is still full of Hawk getting ready for the Bolton show, but at least I should be able to pick something up. Having said that, I do have a Gazelle, would that count as a trainer if I made it into the fire trainer as per in the walkaround section?

Thanks for the go ahead on the Henley, what about the Willow ?

You mean a Yokosuka K5Y? It was designed as a trainer. Provided it is represented in service with a training unit, then it is eligible.

You mean a Yokosuka K5Y? It was designed as a trainer. Provided it is represented in service with a training unit, then it is eligible.

The very thing, it's the Yokosuka K5Y2 the float version one, trainers for bigger seaplane / flying boats. The kit is even moulded in the correct shade of loud orange, for which sunglasses should be provided, thanks very much.

Hi, is it too late to join this? My contributions would be an RS models Miles Magister in. CFS aerobatic team colours - the red and white striped profile on p.27 of the Airfile Trainers Vol 1. As I have the Xtradecal Commonwealth trainers sheet, an Airspeed Oxford could be next unless AZ release their Chippie...

If I could join it would be good, the GB ends on my birthday too :)

• Like 2

Having said that, I do have a Gazelle, would that count as a trainer if I made it into the fire trainer as per in the walkaround section?

Sorry for the delay in replying.

It all depends on the mark of Gazelle. If the aircraft was an HT.2 or HT.3 then it was specifically intended as a trainer and would therefore be eligible. Any old aircraft can be used as a fire trainer and so a Gazelle AH.1 wouldn't be eligible.

However, having checked out the photos you mention, the Gazelle is actually an HT.2. Given the fact that it is in a training scheme as well, then it is perfectly eligible provided you build it in an airworthy condition as a helicopter trainer rather than in semi-derelict condition as a fire trainer.

Hi, is it too late to join this? My contributions would be an RS models Miles Magister in. CFS aerobatic team colours - the red and white striped profile on p.27 of the Airfile Trainers Vol 1. As I have the Xtradecal Commonwealth trainers sheet, an Airspeed Oxford could be next unless AZ release their Chippie...

If I could join it would be good, the GB ends on my birthday too :)

Welcome!!!

Which Oxford from the decal sheet will you go for? In one of my build threads I am doing the Canadian one. The Maggie is a nice one too! Go for it!

Oh, and a nice way to end the GB on your birthday!

I'm having a real hoot with this GB and making much better progress than I normally do. On that basis, is there any reason why I couldn't add a third build to the list? This one would be Japanese, a dedicated trainer only used by a training unit, very rare and not a jet.

Andy

Overly ambitious (again)

• Like 2

Why not Andy Foxbat! I have 3 on the go at the moment!! You've got until May, so plenty of time to knock out at least one a month!! Glad you're enjoying it! :winkgrin:

Why not Andy Foxbat! I have 3 on the go at the moment!! You've got until May, so plenty of time to knock out at least one a month!! Glad you're enjoying it! :winkgrin:

No reason whatsoever. The more the merrier! :thumbsup:

Yay!! Nanzan is go.

Andy

Welcome!!!

Which Oxford from the decal sheet will you go for? In one of my build threads I am doing the Canadian

Hi Paul

I was thinking of the Canadian one but as you are doing that one I'll go for the other option - if it is allowed.

Is an Oxford of the Fighter Command Instrument Training Flight allowed?

Cheers

Leighton

Edited by Algie75

Evening Paul , Enzo

I am helping my son Dylan with a KP Siebel Si204 / Aero C-3 we started last week, and whilst looking for painting info via google found out that it was used extensively as a Luftwaffe trainer. Can Dylan, he's 8, join the GB ?

Cheers Pat

Hi Paul

I was thinking of the Canadian one but as you are doing that one I'll go for the other option - if it is allowed.

Is an Oxford of the Fighter Command Instrument Training Flight allowed?

Cheers

Leighton

Do whichever takes your fancy. If your option is the Tangmere one on the sheet, then it will be nice to see how it turns out. I had planned to do this one as Tangmere is fairly close to me and I did my Glider training there.

Paul and Enzo, I'd like to thank you for setting up this GB. I must admit that I'd lost my mojo, as the saying goes, for modelling but I'm re-energised and really enjoying my build. It's great to see so many projects on the go which cover such a time span and variety.

Max

• Like 1

I am helping my son Dylan with a KP Siebel Si204 / Aero C-3 we started last week, and whilst looking for painting info via google found out that it was used extensively as a Luftwaffe trainer. Can Dylan, he's 8, join the GB ?

My researches indicate that the C-3 version was designed as a trainer, which makes it eligible for the GB.

:welcome: to Britmodeller, Dylan! I'm looking forward to seeing your build.