GB Chat

A ruling from the hosts please

Whilst waiting on the PE set and the base to dry on my K-21 I would like to attempt to build a 1:72 Pavla Me 163S This is the two seat trainer version of the Me163 Komet. It was only ever operated in glide mode fro teaching prospective pilots how to land an aircraft that had the aerodynamic landing characteristics of a brick.

Would this be acceptable for the GB?

A ruling from the hosts please

Whilst waiting on the PE set and the base to dry on my K-21 I would like to attempt to build a 1:72 Pavla Me 163S This is the two seat trainer version of the Me163 Komet. It was only ever operated in glide mode fro teaching prospective pilots how to land an aircraft that had the aerodynamic landing characteristics of a brick.

Would this be acceptable for the GB?

I think so. What do you think Enzo?

Scrub that idea, I don't have all the parts in the kit :(

On to a BAE Hawk T1, but the only markings I have are special schemes albeit the aircraft are with training units and used as training aircraft so I'm guessing because they appear at shows at the weekend their day to day job Monday to Friday was training.

• Like 1

I just realized that the Italeri F-35 might be eligible, though a ruling is required. The first batches of JSF are really intended to be training aircraft; their systems do not possess anywhere close to the combat capability it will eventually field. Moreover it is unlikely that the F-35's used at Eglin with the 33d Wing will ever be used for anything but training in their lives due to the cost of retrofitting them (Ie they were built primarily to train the next generation of F-35 pilots.) As far as trainers;s go, its a pretty critical part of getting pilots prepared to operate the capability. Would that acceptable?

AlsoI have a Ki-9 that I will do regardless.

Edited by -Neu-

Drat! And double drat!!

I started this one on the third and it's done already. Fails the 25% rule. I was just making it in gaps as light relief between my KUTA Heinkel sessions. it's the new Airfix boxing of the Chipmunk. Oh, well...

image_zpsab0e6450.jpg

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

I just realized that the Italeri F-35 might be eligible, though a ruling is required. The first batches of JSF are really intended to be training aircraft; their systems do not possess anywhere close to the combat capability it will eventually field. Moreover it is unlikely that the F-35's used at Eglin with the 33d Wing will ever be used for anything but training in their lives due to the cost of retrofitting them (Ie they were built primarily to train the next generation of F-35 pilots.) As far as trainers;s go, its a pretty critical part of getting pilots prepared to operate the capability. Would that acceptable?

Sadly, I'm afraid not. :fraidnot: The F-35 is intended as a combat aircraft regardless of whether the first batch is actually combat capable.

• Like 1

Drat! And double drat!!

I started this one on the third and it's done already. Fails the 25% rule. I was just making it in gaps as light relief between my KUTA Heinkel sessions. it's the new Airfix boxing of the Chipmunk. Oh, well...

Excellent! Yes, I'm afraid it fails the 25% rule! :lol: But it works as some superb inspiration in this thread. :thumbsup:

AlsoI have a Ki-9 that I will do regardless.

Sorry, but definitely not regardless.

This GB was not on my plan but I think I will join with a AZmodel Tiger Moth. The Training Types GB must be a good opportunity to start this build. I have never tried rigging on a model, I have never tried PE-parts, and there is no decals for my build. So a lot of learning for me in this one. Build thread to start soon...

• Like 1

You are Most welcome Norwegian Wood! The AZ kit looks nice. I have one to start yet but am working on a Pavla one currently.

As for rigging, Its quite simple affair on the Tiger. Maybe you should just restrict it to the wing bay areas as I will be doing and not worry too much about the control wires to and from the elevators. To me these are very prone to breaking! Xtradecal have just released a new set for 72nd Tigers if you are pushed for a scheme. Then there is the new Airfix Tiger Moth kit due for release this month!!

Thanks.

I've found some helpful threads here on BM that I hope will get me trough the rigging. And of course i will be following your build of the Pavla kit. Restricting the rigging to the wings sounds like a plan :thumbsup2: . The scheme will be based on a Tiger Moth like this. So hardest will be the serial # on the fuselage. Make my own decal or make a paint mask or freehand or.. :unsure: .

And I'm looking forward to the Airfix Tiger Moth as well :)

Nice Choice for a colour scheme. But doesn't one of the AZ Models Kits, cat.no. AZ74009, include Norwegian decals? The one with Finnish and Swedish decals. Also, in the photo they look like having the earlier fabric/stringer fuselage covering. How will you do this?

Did'nt realise there were differences regarding the fuselage. I will probably go the same way as AZ, use the kit anyway. Thanks for the heads-up on their decals, did'nt know they had RNoAF (or Hærens Flyvevesen, Army Air Corps as it was in 1940, as an option). And Paul J, now youre guilty in a +1 in my stash, there is of course one "Tiger Moth over North Europe" soon in the mail from central Europe heading to Norway :thumbsup: .

• Like 1

Hi Folks

I am in for this g/b ......as soon as I complete my large scale f-5e......

Not too sure but will be one of the following

1) 1/72 CMR provost

2) 1/48 Planet model SIAI Merchetti

3) 1/48 CJ-6

or

1/32 Shooting star......

Love trainers......and got a bunch of them .......off hand either one of the above......will firm up soon as I put the F-5 to bed .....

Best Regards

Mr b

• Like 1

Also, in the photo they look like having the earlier fabric/stringer fuselage covering. How will you do this?

I thought the stringers were later, and smooth was (on the Gipsy Moth) a wooden fuselage? Did Tiger Moths go back to slab sides at some point? Pretty markings, at any rate!

bob

Sorry, but definitely not regardless.

Ah well, I somewhat figured as much. While I understand your perspective, the situation isn't that much of a stretch from a Harrier T.2/4 in an OTU. The early planes were intended to be trainers, much like the Block 20 F-22s, except they can't afford to build a dedicated twin seater. That's just the reality of modern fighter training for the foreseeable future. Kinda unfortunate as I worked on how we're going to train new pilots with the F-35, and what our future training aircraft requirements are... so the subject is a bit close to my heart.

Anyway, I'll probably just work on the RS 1/72 Ki-9 instead when I finish my KUTA builds at the end of the month. I don't know if I'll do the army school or manchukuo schemes.

Edited by -Neu-

On the basis that not finishing two builds will be much more fun than just not finishing one...

I bought something last time I was in my LMS just to show willing, on the basis that it could fit into any one of a number of upcoming group builds. I've just stumbled across a decal sheet for said kit that put a smile on my face and it has to be done. So my second build will be a far eastern MiG-21UM; yup, a Mongolian Mongol :thumbsup:

What is it about group builds that means 80% of my entries are NMF? I HATE painting silver :weep:

Andy

• Like 1

I just had a count up of all the running builds. And currently I see there are at least 62!!! As one of the hosts and instigator of this GB, I am SO pleased with the response and very happy to see that others have joined in since the start that didn't register beforehand!! Keep up all the good work evryone here and lets hiope we see all these at the end.

Its made my persistence in getting this on the calendar all the more worthwhile!!

THANK YOU!!

I'd like to echo Paul's comments.

Paul thought up this GB and I jumped in as a co-host. All the credit should go to Paul but I'm loving basking in reflected glory! :lol: This is my third GB as co-host and it's turning out to be as positive an experience as the others. I wonder whether we can affect the sales stats of yellow and orange paint! :D

I'd like to echo Paul's comments.

Paul thought up this GB and I jumped in as a co-host. All the credit should go to Paul but I'm loving basking in reflected glory! :lol: This is my third GB as co-host and it's turning out to be as positive an experience as the others. I wonder whether we can affect the sales stats of yellow and orange paint! :D

When I get around to painting my MB.326 then the sales of orange paint will surely go through the roof!

Wez

• Like 1