1/144 Douglas DC-8-55F CargOman

This is the 1/144 MInicraft DC-8-63 kit modified to into a DC-8-55F by shortening the fuselage and using JTD-3B engines from an old Welsh Models kit.

The original aircraft was purchased by Affretair (Rhodesia) in 1972 from Seaboard World Airlines but registered as TR-LQR in Gabon. In 1977, it was repainted in the colours of CargOman and re-registered as A40-PA in Oman as a flag of convenience. This effectively allowed the aircraft to continue being used on sanctions-busting flights from Salisbury to Libreville (Gabon), Muscat (Oman) and various points in Europe. Flights in and out of Rhodesia normally took place in the dark of the night and the aircraft was usually kept well out of sight, behind the Affretair hangar.

In 1982, it officially reverted back to Affretair (Zimbabwe) ownership and re-registered first as VP-WMJ and then as Z-WMJ . It was eventually sold to Trans Air Cargo Service in 1997 and was scrapped in Kinshasa in 2005 after suffering an engine failure during landing.

The decals are home-made.

9OucQWb.jpg

7je4WaW.jpg

6XbNwlj.jpg

AfbIcRC.jpg

There's a sort of build in progress thread and a couple of additional photos here : http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234937676-minicraft-douglas-dc-8s-in-1144-one-down/ (I'm afraid it's all a bit messy, as I'm trying to build three DC-8s at the same time - not the brightest thing I've ever attempted !)

Hope you like it.

mike

0ZqgDrU.jpg

• Like 21

Beautiful job from start to finish Mike, and the decals are most impressive.

Nice to have a little background info on the airframe as well

I'm looking forward to the others being completed as well now.

All the best.

Chris.

Those engines came out beautifully Mike.

Started chopping up two of these last weekend - right now they look like Frankenstein's monster, not the smooth fuselage you achieved here. Sandpaper and putty in my future!

Cheers,

Mike

Many Thanks for all of your kind comments - much appreciated.

What colour did you use for the coroguard inspars? It looks just perfect.

It was Alclad Dull Aluminium and it was a lucky choice as it ended up where the Xtracolor Coroguard should have been.

Best Regards

mike

• Like 1

Oooooo, that Xtracolour coroguard stuff is a handful. I still have splatters on my kitchen ceiling from opening that teeny tiny little pot a few years back. It just literally erupted. One is better off without it, and you have a perfect workaround.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Mitchem

I'm hoping that you are still active in this forum and will pick up this reply at some point.  I was browsing the internet looking for models of Affretair\Cargoman DC-8's and found these fantastic models you created and posted here on Britmodeller.

My dad Roger used to fly this very plane for Jack Malloch in Rhodesian sanctions busting days in the 70's and then for Affretair in the 80's after it was re-liveried.

I would very much like to have a chat with you about them if possible and have sent you a PM with my email details.  Would love to hear from you!

Thanks

Jimbrax

• 3 weeks later...

O(hh) man...

What a wonderful DC-8.

I really love this airliner.

I managed to be on 2 flights many years ago on the DC-8

1981 (3 year old lad) African Safari DC-8-53 and in 1992 African Safari Dc-8-63.

Superb aircraft in every aspect and in my opinion still heads above the all plastic airliners of nowadays

Hi Mike,

Like Dave I too missed out on this first time round. It's a gorgeously finished model of an unusual subject, well done, love it!

I'd be interested to know what the red shape is on the logo? It looks like a power tool of some sort, but I can't imagine it is!

Cheers,

Ian

4 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

O(hh) man...

What a wonderful DC-8.

I really love this airliner.

I managed to be on 2 flights many years ago on the DC-8

1981 (3 year old lad) African Safari DC-8-53 and in 1992 African Safari Dc-8-63.

Superb aircraft in every aspect and in my opinion still heads above the all plastic airliners of nowadays

Thanks Alex. Glad you like the model. I went through a bit of a phase at the time and built four others ! :

JyhPSeH.jpg

It's just a pity that the Minicraft DC-8 seems to be extinct these days. :(

26 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Mike,

Like Dave I too missed out on this first time round. It's a gorgeously finished model of an unusual subject, well done, love it!

I'd be interested to know what the red shape is on the logo? It looks like a power tool of some sort, but I can't imagine it is!

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian. The red shape on the logo is a stylised Khanjar - a traditional dagger originating from Oman. The Khanjar also used to appear on the tail of aircraft belonging to Oman Air in their original colour scheme : Oman Air 737-800

Best Regards

mike

• Like 3

Blimey ..this is a rave from the grave, 2013 ?

Worth the wait though. Its stunning, love the different  NMF shades.. Looks like a thread rebirth and well worth it.

Well done and thanks to whoever woke this up !