Airfix new 1/72 Hurricane - best Hurri of epic fail ?

AlCZ

FWIW, all of the original documentation that I have for the Mk I Hurricane powered by the Merlin II and fitted with the two-bladed prop gives the total overall length as 31' 5" thus 9.575 m which, if my basic math hasn't failed me comes out as 132.994 mm in 1/72nd.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

George: I think it is necessary to determine whether the kit is accurate before making judgements about it against others, and claims of errors need bottoming. If it takes a while to establish that, then so be it. If anyone finds such things boring or silly, look to another thread. Starfix made a great range of kits for you.

The kit does have a number of detail flaws: the wrong wheel hubs, the venturi in the wrong place, mismatch between upper and lower wing halves, thicker than desirable trailing edges, fabric effect instead of metal behind the gun positions. None of these are stoppers, in my opinion, and I've fixed them all without being a super-dooper elite craftsman (thank you Freightdog for the wheels). None of the other kits are perfect, either.

Is it the best Hurricane kit available? For an early Mk.I, yes.

I must admit I was reading "epic failure" as a noble attempt that sadly falls short, rather than as an absolute disaster. Using that first interpretation with perhaps less inflationary language, and given that none of the detail flaws appear to have been unavoidable, then I guess so. But it is bloody good - achieving perfection is such a drag....

I've grown weary of late by the popular overuse of the word "epic". When it comes to the question of accuracy of the new Airfix Hurricane mold I could only justify the term "epic fail" if one were to open the box and find Spitfire sprues inside.

The new kit is just fine for my purposes, thanks. Just my tupp'orths.

• Like 3

I've grown weary of late by the popular overuse of the word "epic".

I prefer to use it only when two or more very strong Greeks are gathered for heroic man-to-man combat.

The Hurricane is one of my favourite modeling subjects, I will get one of these, but, I'm waiting Im-patiently for a new tool Airfix 1/48 Hurricane.....

Now that will be epic!!