French Fancy! French Group Build for 2015

Wez

After a bitter argument the English cat called 'One Two Three' and the French cat called 'Un Deux Troix' agreed on a competition to decide, once and for all, who was better; the English or the French. They decided to have a race across the Channel for their countries honour.

The race was held and English honour upheld.

'One Two Three' cat won because 'Un Deux Trois' cat sank.

After that I had better register a vote in favour of this GB!

• Like 1

C'etait une Mirage si je ne pas attendu... Mais c'est aussi plus de trente ans de mes etudes Francaises so I'm sorry if I caused a headache to a francophile :-) V-P

That rather tested my French - I like the country and spending time there but I'm not very good at the language (but getting better). So having studied French 30 years ago you're in with a Mirage! Tres bon!

Hmmmm.....

Highly suspicious....

Another trick from the Perfide Albion???

That's a nasty suspicious mind you've got there Antoine... ...there's no trick, so does this mean you're in Antoine? We'd love to have you join us!

Me too.

Cheers,

Bienvenue!

Moi aussi mes amis!

Merci...

Iain

Bienvenue aussi!

After a bitter argument the English cat called 'One Two Three' and the French cat called 'Un Deux Troix' agreed on a competition to decide, once and for all, who was better; the English or the French. They decided to have a race across the Channel for their countries honour.

The race was held and English honour upheld.

'One Two Three' cat won because 'Un Deux Trois' cat sank.

After that I had better register a vote in favour of this GB!

Yes... ...I think you better had!

So that, depending on how Antoine is voting puts us at seize or dix-sept! Not bad!

Any more?

Edited by Wez

Toute excuse pour construire quelque chose de l'escadron de chasse 3/3 «Ardennes», peut-être un Mirage 2000D. Il ya quelques choses Tracky/cibles par Heller je voudrais explorer aussi. Inclure moi s'il vous plaît.

Allez les sangliers!!

Andy

Excellent, welcome on board Andy and if you can fit a tracky thing in alongside your Mirage 2000D well the more the merrier.

I have to say that "Allez les sangliers!!" sounds a lot better than "Go piggy go!

So that's 17 or 18!

Who else wants a go?

Wez

That's a nasty suspicious mind you've got there Antoine... ...there's no trick, so does this mean you're in Antoine? We'd love to have you join us!

I have a suspicious mind?

I have to, you're all Brits after all!

Jokes appart, can't really plan anything as far as 2015.

Don't want to say yes and then let you down in a year or so.

And besides, I don't do much French subject.

Edited by Antoine

What a coincidence :)

I will be hosting French GB on scalemodels.ru starting on Bastille day 2014 :)

I have quite a few french subjects - Blochs, Breguets, Voisins, Potezes, Farmans and Amiots (I'm not even considering Mirages and Rafales - too banal) so one GB is not enough to empty my stash so I'm in.

I have a suspicious mind?

I have to, you're all Brits after all!

Jokes appart, can't really plan anything as far as 2015.

Don't want to say yes and then let you down in a year or so.

And besicles, I don't do much French subject.

OK, if you change your mind nearer the time..

What a coincidence :)

I will be hosting French GB on scalemodels.ru starting on Bastille day 2014 :)

I have quite a few french subjects - Blochs, Breguets, Voisins, Potezes, Farmans and Amiots (I'm not even considering Mirages and Rafales - too banal) so one GB is not enough to empty my stash so I'm in.

You're in, that's 18, only another 12 for it to go before it's in next year's vote...

...apart from Mirages et al there's also Spitfire, Hurricane, Blenheim, Boston, Dauntless, Helldiver, Hellcat, Avenger, Bearcat, Mustang, P-38 Lightning, Skyraider, Texan, Fennec... ...and then there's always the stuff taken over from the Germans and French...

...so many choices!

Wez

Loose plans are coagulating so to speak!

I've always wanted another Mirage III ever since I built Revell's 1/32 offering when it first came out in the 70's.

It'll be 1/48. The kits I'm aware of in this scale are Eduard, Hobbyboss, Heller, Academy and Esci (now reboxed by Italeri). I'm discounting Fujimi because I understand it is actually 1/50.

This is where I need your help. I guess that Eduard is top of the pile with Hobbyboss close behind ("inspired" by the other??). I assume that Heller comes next (raised lines?) with the Esci/Italeri next (also raised lines?). I have no idea regarding the Academy offering. I am guessing it's an early product of theirs that may also be "inspired"?.

Although to me the IIIE is better looking than the C, I am open to suggestions. If I remember rightly (?) Heller does a two seater too.

Any recommendations as to which kit to do?

As for markings, I'm thinking something Djibouti based as I found some nice pictures of them years ago in a French mag, camouflaged but rather sand blasted.

Trevor

Loose plans are coagulating so to speak!

I've always wanted another Mirage III ever since I built Revell's 1/32 offering when it first came out in the 70's.

It'll be 1/48. The kits I'm aware of in this scale are Eduard, Hobbyboss, Heller, Academy and Esci (now reboxed by Italeri). I'm discounting Fujimi because I understand it is actually 1/50.

This is where I need your help. I guess that Eduard is top of the pile with Hobbyboss close behind ("inspired" by the other??). I assume that Heller comes next (raised lines?) with the Esci/Italeri next (also raised lines?). I have no idea regarding the Academy offering. I am guessing it's an early product of theirs that may also be "inspired"?.

Although to me the IIIE is better looking than the C, I am open to suggestions. If I remember rightly (?) Heller does a two seater too.

Any recommendations as to which kit to do?

As for markings, I'm thinking something Djibouti based as I found some nice pictures of them years ago in a French mag, camouflaged but rather sand blasted.

Trevor

I've got the Hobby Boss Mirage IIIC, it's a nice kit, I can't vouch for it being inspired by the Eduard kit because I don't have that, if I was going to do a IIIC I'd be using the Hobby Boss kit.

I've got the Heller IIIB/C, whilst it has raised lines it is a really nice kit from Heller's golden age, the cockpit is sparse by modern standards but I've got a couple of Eduard sheets I'd use to tart it up.

I also have the Italeri boxing of ESCI's IIIE, it too has raised lines but was also considered a nice kit in its time, it would benefit from rescribing. NeOmega also do a nice resin cockpit for it which I have. The decal sheet that comes with the Italeri boxing is really nice too!

If you're wanting to stick to 1/48th then I'd suggest either of the Hobby Boss or Eduard kits.

Wez

• Like 1

So far we have...

1. Wez

2. CliffB

3. Mish

4. GiorgioN

5. Jörgen Stendhal

6. Stew Dapple

7. FalkeEins

8. Erwin

9. Stephen

10. Prenton

11. Radliegh

12. Max Headroom

13. vppelt68

14. ArnieC

15. Iain (32SIG)

16. Natter

17. Foxbat

18. Pin

...still some way to go to make next year's vote, c'mon you know you want to!

Wez

It was late at Christmas night and I tried to write in a too uncommon language to me, so... Sorry but no Mirage, instead a Fouga Magister or a Morane Ms 406. Built by the French but flown by the Finnish. V-P

Never mind - it's a too uncommon language to me too (in spite of my best efforts)!

A Magister or MS.406 in Finnish colours counts too!

Wez

Lots of scope in this ... scope for a figure or two, maybe pre-20th Centuary

Definitely, it's not my area of knowledge but I do recall many years ago Airfix had some Napolionic era figures - French Hussar rings a dim and distant bell, but that's entirely permissible.

I want this GB to be a broad church that modellers of many genres can join in with - as I said in my opening post, if it's made in France or is operated in French colours its in!

I notice your avatar is a Bleriot type - do I take it from that you may be interested?

Wez

Definitely, it's not my area of knowledge but I do recall many years ago Airfix had some Napolionic era figures - French Hussar rings a dim and distant bell, but that's entirely permissible.

I want this GB to be a broad church that modellers of many genres can join in with - as I said in my opening post, if it's made in France or is operated in French colours its in!

I notice your avatar is a Bleriot type - do I take it from that you may be interested?

Wez

Hi Wez,

Yes I believe as well as the Napoleonic 54mm figures (Infantryman and a cuirassier that I remember) Airfix also did a 1/12th scale Napoleon figure which I remember my older brother making when we were kids.

I think I'll be going with some Battle of France aircraft, probably an MS.406 and a D.520 but we'll see what's available nearer the time :hmmm:

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Wez,

Yes I believe as well as the Napoleonic 54mm figures (Infantryman and a cuirassier that I remember) Airfix also did a 1/12th scale Napoleon figure which I remember my older brother making when we were kids.

I think I'll be going with some Battle of France aircraft, probably an MS.406 and a D.520 but we'll see what's available nearer the time :hmmm:

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew,

Good to know the memory is holding up and not playing tricks! Even Bony would be allowed!!

JohnD and Norman - you're on the list.

Roll up, roll up! Any more for any more? Remember, if it was made in France or it wore French colours it counts! You will have something in the stash that fits the bill!!

Wez

Edited by Wez

Wez

The Bleriot is a possible, if I can find a suitable kit - though I just like early aircraft (this one was taken at Cosford some years ago)

I was also thinking, maybe a Historex kit ...

30012-3.jpg

Napolionic French Dragoon

Not one of mine, but linked from Historex Agents (UK Importer) site

• Like 1

The Bleriot is a possible, if I can find a suitable kit - though I just like early aircraft (this one was taken at Cosford some years ago)

I was also thinking, maybe a Historex kit ...

30012-3.jpg

Napolionic French Dragoon

Not one of mine, but linked from Historex Agents (UK Importer) site

Great!

It's good to have a bit of variety - it makes things more inclusive... ...I'll add you to the list then!

Wez

Edited by Wez