A Whiffie - Heinkel He-177Z A2 - Anti-Shipping version

trickyrich

here she is........

He-477A7R3AmerikaBomber_zps2229e949.jpg

Cool looking but, I think a version of the 177 B. Longer wings with three engines per wing, and a longer main body.

Like the stretched Ju-88's and 188's.

Out rigger wheels on the ends of the wings like a B-52, and maybe jet pods under the wings like a B-36.

But thats me. Like I said this looks cool and I love the Zwilling.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking the A7/R3, That is seriously massive. I couldn't help imagining while I was looking at it terminating the fuselages just ahead of the wings into gun barbettes and having a twin boom configuration with a central nacelle style fuselage like a P-61. Two outboard engine per wing would give you the lift and span, outriggers would be a cool idea too!

With a massive airframe we might see some sort of FICON arrangement. Apologies if we're hijacking your post with our brain-weather Rich, I just couldn't help but throw my ideas your way! :) Maybe you'll have a chance to sort it out visually with your drawing skills.

Jeff

With a massive airframe we might see some sort of FICON arrangement.

Perhaps an Me163 or two as one-shot self-defence weapons?

That was my first thought, even went so far as to imagine a trapeze (grapple?) where the second cockpit would be on the trainer version. :)

"Schläger Beförderer"

Edited by modelglue

There will be a drone mounted on the top, the drone will have a nuc fitted!

Have started a mockup, still needs a little work before I post.

• Like 1

Well have made some real progress in the past couple of days,

Have finished off, unless I change plans again, all the conversions I’m planning and fitted all the wee bits ready for painting. Built the new crew entry hatches in the starboard fuselage and temporary fitted/glued all the glazing ready for painting.

The masking of all the clear bits was a real pain as usual bit that can’t be helped, should have bought some masks!

Gave the whole beast rough pre-shading before lower sections were given a lightish coat of RLM76.

DSCF1235_zpsda4b25bb.jpg

opps forgot to paint the second cockpit RLM66 :doh: ....... will have to hand paint the frame.

DSCF1236_zps17e10042.jpg

DSCF1234_zps292077dc.jpg

The main scheme will be a splinter RLM74/75 on the top surfaces with the same colours “mottled” on the sides, similar to that of colour schemes for late model Me-410’s. On top of this is going to be a fine splinter of white on the top and slightly down the sides using the splinter masks from the Mig. This should give a nice disruptive colour scheme for North Atlantic operations. The rudders may be finished off in either red or black, sort of depends on the unit marking.

Hopefully I can get all the major painting done before I head off to work, so that next break there may be a real chance I can almost finish her! :pray:

That’s if I don’t get distracted and start the RAAF Skyshark I mentioned in the GB Chat!!! :hmmm:

• Like 3

well distractions aside I have made good progress on the painting. Feeling a bit insprired did a bit of a late night stint and got the first top colour down. Somehow I got my RLM numbers a bit confused and gave the top surfacers a coat of RLM74 (Grey Green) first, being dark grey it should have been last!!!!

Oh well that meant a slight change of plans for the colour scheme, no big dramas....may have worked for the better.....

Masking was first chore of the day then a coat of RLM75 (Grey Violet), of cause as soon as it was almost dry off came the masks to see what it looked like....I have no patients!

DSCF1237_zps10b521d2.jpg

DSCF1238_zps8a88daa4.jpg

DSCF1239_zps84b66c0b.jpg

Next was the mottle finish for the sides always a pain, for the rudders because the base was the dark grey the lighter colour isn’t so noticeable, so...........this will now have a mottle of RLM 76 on it to help break it down.

DSCF1241_zps42d888d1.jpg

DSCF1242_zpsd6a6b454.jpg

At this rate I’ll have the white splinter on by tonight with the clear coat on first thing in the morning! I’m really chuffed at the moment as to how this project is going and the general look of the beast, much better than I had hoped!

Oh and I have a horrible feeling I’ll be starting a new build thread for a almost forgotten about project thanks to Nigel! :P

• Like 4

Looking pretty believable at the moment ^_^ Y'know, in hindsight, you could have shoved a jet engine in that central pod to give her a bit of extra "combat speed" :wicked:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok i'm back to this....but I'm also back away with work.....the wonder of modern times!

Ok my last break went too quick as usual and managed to get very distracted with wife’s birthday, Wolfenstein – The New Order among other things (maybe not quite in order of importance… :whistle::chair: ). So didn't spend to much time on models, though most of the time was spent battling decals!!!

At the end of the last break I had just finished putting on the major decals and only had lots of the smaller ones to go and thought that’d be a simple task………how wrong was I!!

As you know I’m using two Revell He-117’s for this build, and A5 and an A6, the decals for the A5 are dated 2000 and the A6 2007 (?). However there is a distinct difference in quality between the two with the older ones being far superior in detail and quality, plus they go on much easier. The later A6 ones were a real pain, as they “silvered” up as soon as they went on even though the surface was glossy and even using setting solutions. They would have to be some of the worse I’ve come across for this, I’ve got +20yo decals that I could put on a totally matt surface that would silver less! Of cause the decals that played up the most were the ones for the walkways, I had thought to either not use them or paint the the walkways, but couldn’t be bothered so just used them as they are. It’s not that noticeable so it won’t be a problem, the bizarreness of the beast will certainly distract the attention from them!

Once that chore was done a coat of Matt was applied……I came sooooo close to stuffing that up and getting that dreaded white powdery finish!! Because I was still annoyed with the decals I applied the matt coat a bit too thick and nearly stuffed it!!! Anyway no damage and the finish now has a nice uneven weathered look…….even if that wasn’t my intention yet! :D

Inked in all the panel lines……found all the panel lines I forgot to do :doh: …….did a few bodgies!!! :whistle:

It’s now looking more and more like the beast I first envisioned, and there isn’t too much to go...I hope.

Anyway just one pic as I was running out of time before I left plus all the real shots will be left for the great unveiling which shouldn’t be too long as my 3 week away stints are coming to an end at the end of the month.

DSCF1268_zpsa1ca4253.jpg

What’s to go......

1. Complete undercarriage and finish fitting
  2. Fit guns and canopies
  3. Finish and fit crew doors (that’s an easy one)
  4. Build/complete weapons
  5. Build adjustable bomb/missile rack pannier in bomb bays (looks so bare at the moment, plus the two bomb bays are designed to be modular so that they can easily be reconfigured to suit the weapons being carried)
  6. Final odds and ends you always have left over.

Not sure what I’ll do with my free time once this one is over..........oh yeah that’s right start/complete something else! :P

• Like 7

I have just been sent these photos from a friend in Germany. :yikes: He found them in a book in his local library on history of Heinkel’s Rostock factory. They were in part of a section about the secret projects area of the Factory complex and the test aircraft developed and flown. I NEED to get this book now, but it’s in German and from what I gather very obscure!!

Seems my silly crazy idea wasn’t that silly and crazy after all!! Does anyone else have photos or know of this book?? :frantic:

He-177Zphotos3_zps4afbd7fb.jpg

He-177Zphotos1_zps397cc832.jpg

sorry about the poor quality, these were the best scans he could do!

• Like 3